1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

now type1

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by hognose, Feb 7, 2018.

1. hognose

hognose Other · Well-Known Member

i am late on set type 1 am told, and not type 2 as first dia,
    i had a c-peptide test = 0.09 nmol/mmol severe insulin deficiency .

feeling bit lost at the mo

• Hug Hug x 3
    #1 hognose, Feb 7, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. Jeremy_Wood

Jeremy_Wood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that @hognose but just bear in mind that's exactly what Theresa May went through and she's not doing too bad. Hmmm...

On a brighter note, at least you now know what it is. It might seem like a whole new daunting challenge but today's support, research and medication surrounding Type 1 is outstanding.

Plus, we're all here for you.

J

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. hognose

thank you jeremy

4. Sibyl

Sibyl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the exclusive sugar club, hognose! I was diagnosed T1 in October 2014 when I was 56! On learning more about the condition I realised quite quickly how lucky I was! Old enough to be able to accept it and young enough to learn to cope quickly! It’s a bit daunting at first but with time, practice and back up from the folks on here it soon becomes less difficult.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've noticed healthcare personnel there sometimes have trouble distinguishing Type 1 from Type2. You have nurses and GPs doing most of the medical care and decision making in the NHS. I doubt whether it ever really changes in the individual, but the persons interpreting the lab tests and clinical data may not always get it right and can change their mind it seems. Maybe it doesn't make any difference in the long run either.

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @hognose The plus is that you have a correct diagnosis now and can take insulin to manage your BG levels, it's when folks are diagnosed t2 and plod on with medication and left with uncontrolled BG levels which is a worry. Once your insulin is working efficiently and you are getting your levels into range it will help you feel better. There's always someone around to chat to here if you have any queries so its not so daunting :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. hognose

think at the start they look at age ,weight high bg and just labeled type 2,

8. hognose

this is true,
    i am on
    novarapid per meal/snack
    lantus overnight/morning
    upteen bg tests

9. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club!! I was diagnosed 4 years ago at 54. I am still enjoying life and ironically feel I am healthier now than in the last 10 years. The knowledge picked up about food makes me think twice about everything that goes past my lips.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. NoKindOfSusie

NoKindOfSusie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You cannot possibly imagine how much I hate it when people say that.

It's like walking into a prison cell and having everyone go "HEY! Glad you're here!"

11. hognose

really? i found it very nice

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome @hognose! It should all get easier as you learn more and get to know how you react to food, doses etc. Early days so embrace everything you learn and don’t expect to know everything. We’re all learning, all the time.
    You should get a new lease of life now you’ve got the right diagnosis.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to our very exclusive club. It's normal to feel a bit lost, confused and upset. The great news is that will soon pass and before long you will be joining the rest of us quite happily going on a grand adventure. We have all been there done that, so just remember you not alone or unique.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lindijanice

lindijanice Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ah, Susie, so nice to hear your cheerful voice again.......glad we are all different:) A hearty welcome to the Forum, hognose! Trust that you will find lots of good info and support here, I certainly have and wish you all the best/L

• Like Like x 4
  15. hognose

well a insulin pump might be a good idea ?
    better than the injections

16. TheBigNewt

I wouldn't say better, just a different delivery method for the injections, via a subQ plastic catheter using an external infusion pump, which makes the basal delivery continuous and the meal/bolus deliveries very similar to insulin pen injections. Those boluses may be delivered more rapidly because there is already a tract from the catheter tip through the subQ space to the vunules to the circulation. Pumpers use the same short acting insulin all the time whereas we use a long acting basal (Lantus, Levemir, etc) and short acting bolus (Novolog, Humulog, Fiasp).

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. hognose

thank you, are you not a pumper then ?

18. TheBigNewt

I am not. I've done the injections since I was diagnosed in 1984 and have had quite good control without an inordinate amount of hypoglycemic episodes. I think the pump is helpful for people who have a lot of that happen, the infusion rate can be adjusted automatically during the day/night. The person might need less insulin at night to avoid getting low for instance. Which is the most dreaded complication of Type 1 diabetes: "waking up dead".

• Like Like x 2
  19. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

you're doing well with the Hb diddly doos

• Like Like x 1
  20. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hognose - Forgive my curiosity, but were you an insulin dependent T2 prior to your reclassification?

If not, could I ask what led to the c-peptide test as your HbA1c results were extremely stable?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook