1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Numb fingers!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Seriously_Sax1989, May 26, 2014.

1. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey all, a few weeks ago (thankfully it's stopped now) each morning I'd wake up with really numb fingers like if I placed a nail through them I wouldn't feel it! Then it would turn into pins and needles, then back to normal.

Hopefully I've just slept on my hand in the night lol but has anyone else had this??

Thanks, Laura :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have been noticing this lately since going on the pump and low carbing. Hopefully it's nothing to do with either. I suppose the likelihood is it's due to declining peripheral circulation, which we diabetics are all prone to get.

3. RosieDred

RosieDred Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had exactly the same start about a month before diagnosis and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome about 2 months ago. Was told to get a wrist support brace and it's really helped and most days I don't get any numbness now

4. sophsss

sophsss Type 1 · Member

When I have high blood sugar levels I notice that I get this tingling sensation in my fingers like pins and needles... Maybe your diabetes could affect what is happening

5. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah I had thought of that perhaps it's due to my sugar levels, I'll ask at my next appointment I think.

Thanks guys :) x

• Like Like x 2
  6. SpikeThacker

SpikeThacker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

when my fingers go like that, it normally means that my bloods have dropped below 4.5 and heading towards the hypo zone

7. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

When my carpal tunnel syndrome started it was a bit like that, but I'd also feel the wrist was achy or weak when carrying out certain tasks. It got worse, coming and going as the years went on. It does seem to flare up when levels are up.... but can flare up at other times too.

It might not be carpal tunnel in your case, but I'd still want to get it checked out if I were you.

8. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I get a similar behaviour as you and in fact as my levels fall below 5.5 the tips of my fingers go cold (travelling up my hands) until they then start to go numb. I am glad to see someone else that gets the same.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SpikeThacker

SpikeThacker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

glad to see i'm not alone....when my bm drops below 4 that when my hands start shaking, and thats the start of hypo for me

10. oldgreymare

oldgreymare Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had symptoms like this (on waking numb hands/arms then pins&needles) when a herniated disc in my spine - neck area (I think C5?) - flared up. Plus I have some spinal stenosis = bone growth that makes it easy to trap/put pressure on nerves. Would come and go - physio and Pilates mostly stopped recurrances. But this about 6 years before diabetes diagnosis.

If continues to troublesome may be worth getting looked at by orthopedic/spinal referral, as not necessarily D related.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook