Type 2 Numbers high due to infection. Worried

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugars haven’t gone under 17mmol reaching 25mmol and 24mmol tonight. I have a chest infection. Are these readings normal when fighting an illness? Anyone else this has happens too?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugars haven’t gone under 17mmol reaching 25mmol and 24mmol tonight. I have a chest infection. Are these readings normal when fighting an illness? Anyone else this has happens too?
It's normal to have higher numbers with an infection.
However, with those numbers on top of being ill I'd call 111 for advice tonight.

What type of diabetes do you have?
Are you on insulin?
Can you test for ketones?

Reactions: Nodemus

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Nodemos and welcome to the forums.

It's normal for readings to go up when fighting an illness but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned.
Have you seen your doctor about the infection?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Infections do cause an increase in blood glucose levels, but with numbers that high I would be seeking medical advice.

It is difficult to know how to offer advice in forums, as there is no info in your profile such as type of diabetes and medication.

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's normal to have higher numbers with an infection.
However, with those numbers on top of being ill I'd call 111 for advice tonight.

What type of diabetes do you have?
Are you on insulin?
Can you test for ketones?
I have Type 2 and I’m on Gliclazide 80mg once daily I can’t test for ketones unfortunately. I’m usually around 6-8mmol

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Nodemos and welcome to the forums.

It's normal for readings to go up when fighting an illness but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned.
Have you seen your doctor about the infection?

I’ve seen my doctor and have a chest infection no covid PCR checked. I’m on antibiotics right now

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello & Welcome. If I were in your shoes I would be phoning 111 for advice. Keep in touch and let us know how you are. Take care.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I phoned 111 and they want to check my ketones so there making me an out of hours appointment. Thanks for the advice
Not a nice way to spend your night, but I'm relieved they'll be checking on you!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, would you keep updating please, I’m going through the same thing, I’ve even not eaten just to see what’s happening. My bloods are dropping below 16 and averaging about 18. Was getting quite worried until I saw your thread and realised I’m not the only one.

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So there’s no ketones in my urine. But glucose and white cells were very high. I was put on a different high strength antibiotics. Due to kidney infection. Im to contact my diabetic team. Drink lots and lots of water. And keep an eye on my numbers. If im mega thirsty then I should get my ketones checked again. Also I have to get a urine sample to my doctors so they can see what infection I have.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So there’s no ketones in my urine. But glucose and white cells were very high. I was put on a different high strength antibiotics. Due to kidney infection. Im to contact my diabetic team. Drink lots and lots of water. And keep an eye on my numbers. If im mega thirsty then I should get my ketones checked again. Also I have to get a urine sample to my doctors so they can see what infection I have.
Thank you for your update.
Hope the new antibiotics will make a difference very soon!

I’m going through the same thing, I’ve even not eaten just to see what’s happening. My bloods are dropping below 16 and averaging about 18. Was getting quite worried until I saw your thread and realised I’m not the only one.
Have you contacted your doctor?

artofmany

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who didn't leave the playground behind,
Food manufacturers who think sugar and preservatives need to be in everything
High readings are quite standard for me when I'm ill. I have to raise my intake of basal insulin, and raise intake of fast acting insulin. It's normally due to inactivity. If I don't move around I become insulin resistant quite quickly, hence the high numbers. Normally lasts for a couple of days until I can exercise/go for a walk.

D

Deleted member 464700

I have had a chest and sore throat bug, not covid two test negative. My A1C numbers have gone up from 7.1 to 8.6