1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Numbness in left arm?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jokeeble1987, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Jokeeble1987

Jokeeble1987 Type 1 · Member

Anyone's suffer from this. I'm type 1 diabetic and have numbness in my left arm occasionally. Worrying me now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I suppose there are a number of things that could cause numbness of the left arm but since one of them is heart trouble it might be a good idea to see your GP soon.

3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

4. Jokeeble1987

Jokeeble1987 Type 1 · Member

5. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Yes I would worry too if my left arm went numb but don't let that stop you from making the appointment to see your GP.

6. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

Please see your GP asap, you have a worrying symptom there, even if it is due to heart problems, there is a lot that can be done nowadays to put things right again.
    Dont delay, arrange an urgent appointment.
    Good luck, and let us know how you get on, we are all thinking of you.

7. BobCornelius

BobCornelius · Well-Known Member

Hi,

To answer part of your original question, I currently always have numbness in my left arm, but mine is caused by prolapsing discs in my cervical spine!

However, in line with other replies, have it checked out by your GP soonest, as it is one of the signs of cardiac issues!

:)

Bob

8. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Do get to your GP as soon as you can - it's also a symptom of stroke.

On the other hand, I think there is some way that high blood glucose can cause it. I don't know exactly how - I need Phoenix, as always! - but a friend's husband, who is typical male when it comes to visiting the GP (he won't :roll: ), had his left arm suddenly go numb. They went to A&E, where he was admitted - no stroke, but very high BGs and diagnosed Type 2. Apparently the numb arm was to do with the high BGs.

Don't ignore it.

Viv 8)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook