Numbness in my lower lip area ....

knighthoppers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just started getting a kind of numbness in my lower lip, a bit like when you've been to the dentist and the injection is starting to wear off. Except it's there all the time now.

I'm just praying this isn't the start of some new kind of neuropathy symptom for me! I've had Type 1 for 28 years now and already suffer from some neuropathy in my hands and fingers and some joint pain in my shoulders, but just wondered if anyone else has experienced numbness in the face caused by Diabetes - before I go running to the Doc!!! xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've not experienced this apart from getting an anaesthetic at the dentist (as you say). Neuropathy can effect the face but there may be other reasons for your symptoms, I would get it checked out just so you know what your dealing with.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I have a friend with some lip and cheek numbness.
It is connected to one of her autoimmune diseases (she has three, including a rare variety of MS and lupus, but I'm afraid she is reticent with the details). She does not have diabetes.

I know that her medication has halted some of her symptoms, so it is probably worth getting a doctor's appt ASAP - in case early treatment prevents further decline.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My lips feel like that sometimes when I have a hypo

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hyperventilation can cause this as can neuralgia or TMJ syndrome ?parts if my body are frequently numb ( it shifts round) and it was blamed on fibromyalgia and anxiety.