Nutri Scales

miss e j

Lloyds Chemist are selling electronic Nutri Scales for £15 - a bargain compared to the rosemary Conley ones that are £40! You can weigh food and find out its carbohydrate content (and calories, fat, salt I think).

I bought them for carb counting in the food I eat at home, and it is useful for many things. You have to key in a code from a booklet for each type of food (there are 400 listed). The drawback, however, is that not all the foods I eat are listed, so I still have to look them up in other reference books and do the maths. Also many of the listed foods are processed foods which have carb listings on the packets anyway, like breakfast cereals etc.

Overall, it's useful, and I'd recommend it for the price, but it's not as comprehensive as I'd hoped.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Miss EJ. Welcome to the forum and thank you for the information about these scales.

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi

Interesting what you say SarahQ as I bought Nutri scales a few weeks ago and analysed a week's worth of food intake. The results differed from the fitday website but I thought that perhaps I had keyed in the incorrect data. Makes you so and so fedup when you purchase something in good faith and it's not fit for purpose.

Regards Val

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Val,

If the goods are not fit for purpose, which you seem to have proved, then the Sale of Goods Act entitles you to get your money back from the retailer (not from the manufacturer - but you can report the manufacturer to your Trading Standards Office for misrepresenting the goods they are producing).

sugar

This thread has proved to be a lesson in life!

I read the first post thinking...Wow, that sounds great....only to get to SarahQs post and then realise, like so often is the case, when something sounds too good to be true, it very often is!

Thanks all, it is things like this that make this site so useful!

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi folks

I did take my nutri scales back to Lloyds and they refunded my money even though I purchased them in January. :D

DeviJankowicz

I've just registered on this forum having googled 'Nutriscales' intending to buy another for a friend; saw the discussion here and just _had_ to contribute! I'm not diabetic but am on a programme to lose weight and reduce hypertension; so, calorie and sodium control are what I use the scales for.

In contrast to some of your correspondents, I have to say that I'm delighted with them. They are precise, have a tare and an accumulation facility so that I can add all the ingredients for a particular meal in one go, looking up the nutritional values and the calories as I go on. The little booklet that provides the codes to enter into the scales to give the details for each food is a very good start but, yes, I do need to use other sources too.

The problems, such as they are, begin there, since so many diet web-sites seem to use databases of irrelevant and not especially healthy US Supermarket packaged foods; but a half-hour (*) or so spent in finding the relevant details is, to my mind, a fair price to pay for eating in a controlled, and may I say, delicious manner! Because of course what all this does (when you've realised that shop bread contains excessive amounts of sodium; that packaged foods and convenience meals are loaded with sugars, fats, MSG and all the rest of it) is that it encourages you to start cooking your own meals from fresh ingredients.

(*) reducing to zero once I've done the search and calculation once, since I record the results for next time. Too busy to add a half-hour to your food prep time? Meh! Cook at weekends, double the quantity and freeze for the weekdays when you're in a rush!

18 months ago I was 16 stone 11 pounds, mean blood pressure (using various medicines) around the 152/80 mark. (Male 5'9" aged 65.) Today I'm exactly 13 stone 0 pounds, mean BP on the same medicines around 115/70, and as soon as I hit the 12 stone 5 pound target my GP set me I'll be discussing how we might reduce some of the medications. The process hasn't been effort-free-- nothing is, in this vale of tears-- but it's been wonderful in encouraging a careful and disciplined approach, and those little scales have repaid their purchase price a thousand times over!

Reactions: 2 people