Nutrition. Weight loss. Fitness.

2guns1687

I have been type 1 diabetic 20 year, i am a personal trainer & nutritional adviser.

I am eating the ketogenic way and i am having very good results

First off do not treat your way of eating as a "diet" that means you are only doing it for a period of time and it has an end! Think of it as a lifestyle change :)

The reason for this is basically i have good knowledge through my years in the fitness industry and also through overcoming my own challenges in trying to keep trim while being diabetic etc

So if you need any help or advice about nutrition or fitness etc please feel free to ask anything :)

I will try to answer as best as i can

Tom

Netty70

Hi Tom
I have a easy question I think
I am type 2 taking 4 x 500mg metformin and 1 x 2mg of gliprimide per day I go to 5 x 45min Zumba classes a week
My DN has said exercise is good for me and I do agree but I come out of my class dripping in sweat I do give it 110% but is it normal for me to sweat so much oh I have only been diagnosed just over two months

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2guns1687

Netty70 said:
Hi Tom
I have a easy question I think
I am type 2 taking 4 x 500mg metformin and 1 x 2mg of gliprimide per day I go to 5 x 45min Zumba classes a week
My DN has said exercise is good for me and I do agree but I come out of my class dripping in sweat I do give it 110% but is it normal for me to sweat so much oh I have only been diagnosed just over two months

Thanks

Hi
Yeah its perfectly normal to sweat it all depends on the person and everyone is different, my partner teaches zumba and she is lathered after her classes and she is a non diabetic, as long as your bg is ok that is the main thing :)

Netty70

Thanks for the reply I don't check anything after Zumba I just make sure I have a snack before I go take my glucose with me just in case and have a meal when I come home

As long as the sweating is normal I'm happy :)
Thank you

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, seeing as you offered.... I am doing my first 5k park run Saturday morning, it is a stretch for me but I did it on the road on Monday and I was going to do it again tonight, would you say that is too close to the race to be killing myself? Thanks

2guns1687

Andy12345 said:
Hi, seeing as you offered.... I am doing my first 5k park run Saturday morning, it is a stretch for me but I did it on the road on Monday and I was going to do it again tonight, would you say that is too close to the race to be killing myself? Thanks
No tonight should be fine in my opinion but it all depends on how you feel off your last run if you have recovered properly?
good luck :)

Becca6510

Hey! I'm 21 and have been diabetic for 4 years now. I had a bad spell where I lost a lot of weight as I was neglecting my diabetes in order to lose weight. But now I'm older and somewhat wiser I really want to shift the weight!! I just feel like its impossible! Any tips from a fellow type 1 to another! [WHITE SMILING FACE] Xx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Becca6510 said:
Hey! I'm 21 and have been diabetic for 4 years now. I had a bad spell where I lost a lot of weight as I was neglecting my diabetes in order to lose weight. But now I'm older and somewhat wiser I really want to shift the weight!! I just feel like its impossible! Any tips from a fellow type 1 to another! [WHITE SMILING FACE] Xx

Excercise and diet to do the proper way, will have to consider calories also. By eating better your insulin levels requirements should decrease. Using less insulin wil help alot to loose weight, but, not if resulting in higher levels. Keep a good diary of levels, ratios so you can learn and adjust correctly. Exercising target areas where you want to loose weight will also help. Make sure you have rest days for your body to repair and recover. And alternate target areas on different days. Good luck and do safely

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Tom
Ihave a mystery no-one has been able even to suggest a reason for.
I've been low to Very low carb for about 8 years Hba1c always in the 5s.
I've lost about 3 stones in that time, but currently, no matter how little I eat, As soon as I drop a kilo, it jumps back on the next day. I exercise about 3 times a week at the gym with a a group and a well qualified rehab instructor [I had a stroke in 2003] 45 mins in the pool followed by 1 hour in the gym. I also hike a couple of hours weekly.
I don't eat too little as some people inform me, or I would be losing weight and if I am it's at snails pace. currently my weight is bouncing around 90Kg and it was around 94kg, so I'm improving, but not fast enough for me.
Hana

Becca6510

Thanks !! I will do, it's mainly my abs and core that I won't to shift the weight from, had a lot of low sugars so been eating a lot of carbs so feel mega bloated and horrid looking . I don't carb count so how do I incorporate carbohydrate in my diet?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends if you want to low carb or not, personally if wanting to loose weight simply reduce carbs and cals, avoiding anything high fat. The general recommendation for ladies is to reduce calories to 1500 a day with half of the calories coming from carbs. This would be 750 calories coming from carbs which is roughly 187 carbs a day. this is the general recommendation for ladies but will also depend on current height/weight and activity levels. How this helps and gods luck. For the areas your wanting to target the best excercises would be jogging, aerobics. Anything high intensity and fat burning.

Nami

That's a really good point mate! Changing your lifestyle for good is really helpful!

If you stop eating fatty foods, or at least eat it rarely, and start eating more greens, you'll surely be fit and healthy! :)

Pepsi Max

I need help! I've been type 1 for 8 years now, on a pump for 6 months. For the last 2 years I've been trying to shift anything from 10-14lbs. I've tried many methods, low carb, weight watchers, my fitness pal app... Nothing works! I jog 4-5 times a week & do Taekwondo. My weight either remains the same or slowly goes up. I slog it out exercising or eating right but I don't see results! HELP

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How have your levels been? Do you find you are correcting lows frequently and consuming sugar to either prevent lows or treat them? How many carbs/cals a day do you have?

Pepsi Max

Levels have been fine, better now with the pump. No not too many lows... Since using my fitness app I'm not eating more than 1200 cals a day & approx 50-90g carbs a day depending on exercise...it's so frustrating!

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would be worth googling what the recommended calorie intake for your height/weight age. reading what you said does not sound enough especially the carbs needed for muscle to burn the fat, especially If you are exercising. If your body burns calories whilst exercising there wouldn't be enough left for your body to function properly, so its storing everything. Sounds daft but has been proven, eating a bit more healthy carbs may alow your body to start burning some fat.

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Hi
When I go to the gym or any other form of exercise my glucose levels seem to shoot up. I was 7.1 before I went after taking half my usual insulin and eating half my usual breakfast and when I checked it again when I got home it was 18.9!! This seems to happen on a regular basis. Any advice please.