Nuts - which ones are best for diabetics?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've did a search on "nuts" within this forum before making this post.

From previous posts I've gleaned that Macadamia, Walnuts and Pine nuts are good for us; but are there any more types of nuts that folks with betes are recommended to eat?

Conversely, are there any types of nuts we should be avoiding?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It goes without saying that it is best to avoid the salted variety's, but I enjoy them all, even the dry roasted brands. I know that Macadamia nuts are popular amongst a few members of the forum, but I bought some about a month ago and wasn't keen on them. I know walnuts are full of goodness, and properly tastiest of the three you mention. As for which is best for us, not sure, I think all are ok in moderation, just check carb content and eat accordingly.

Can't think of any others at the moment, but you might also want to try seeds. Pumpkin seeds are delicious on their own or on cereal, they have a nice bite to them just like nuts, plus they are very cheap to buy.

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

Almonds are good for diabetics,

[Link removed by MOD as no longer valid ]

Last edited by a moderator:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Personally, I like 'em all.
Maccas are my favourite but I hadn't really discovered them until I realised that my previous favourites, peanuts and cashews, weren't such a good choice after all. They were too high in carbs for me to keep my bg in line and still eat a satisfying amount.
But, since both are actually legumes rather than proper nuts, I can probably still say I like 'em all.
In descending order of preference, macadamias, walnuts, brazil nuts (great source of selenium), pine nuts, pecans. Almonds seem to spike my bg a little and chestnuts are very starchy so best avoided for that reason.
Besides, it's my duty as a responsible parent to see that the walnuts on top of walnut whips actually get eaten, if only by me.
Nigel makes a good point about the seeds too. M&S currently do a very tasty pack of chilli sunflower and pumkin seeds which are great on their own or sprinkled on salads.

fergus

Reactions: jjraak

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks guys.

Great link Catherine, thanks for that.

Pity about the cashews Fergus, they are my favourites. :(

Verve09

Ardberg,

All nuts are fine in moderation apart from cashews and peanuts, which are actually a type of pea. However, if you avoid these two you are still left with a whole host of others - hazelnuts, brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans, macademias, pistachios, almonds and then all the seeds that another poster has already mentioned.

I really enjoy brazil nuts. These contain selenium, a chemical which is correlated to a reduced risk of breast and prostate cancers. So enjoy!

Reactions: soonow

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I knew there was another I liked, couldn't think of it, yes sunflower seeds, not had them for a while but they too are great on their own. I also use linseed's in my vegetable stir-Fry's, or if you prefer in yoghurt or on breakfast cereal of your choosing.

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Cugila,

Can you please put a sticky warning poster at the top of this forum:

May contain nuts

8)

JanetS

I love nuts, and could them eat every day (but don't, which is just as well) But am glad I read this post regarding those with the higher carb content. *Noted!* Before Christmas I spent £6 on bags of various nuts in Asda. I'm still eating them! :) Pity these only come out at Christmas as it was a cheaper option than getting the ready to eat packs.

As for seeds, this is what I do. I relented and bought the Gillian McKeith jar (expensive but lasts awhile) and after shaking a few spoonsful into a little pot I then sprinkle in dried herbs. Mix up and eat as it is. Dee-lishus! :D Take this into work and eat as a snack.

adm

Just to bump this thread.....my wife just came home from M&S with a bag of Chilli Seed Mix. It's "roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds with dark soy sauce and chilli flakes"

Tastes lovely - and 2.9g of Carbs per 100g!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I love Maccas and almonds AND Brazils, but loathe kiln dried walnuts. Those always taste rancid to me. Roasted cobnuts are nce too. They have a delicious crunch.
Hana

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've just had a handful of cashew nuts this evening.

I know they are to be avoided, but it was the only variety we had in the house.

Just checked my BG before dinner this evening (I'm lucky if I do so once a week now) and I'm pleased to report it was 5.5 :p

Thanks for all the help, useful advice and support from everyone on this forum. :D

Mother Bear

Dislikes
Fatism, condescension, Narrow mindedness, cruelty and violence.
My dietitian told me to stay away from nuts as they are too fatty, but now I am counting my carbs which she is also against as most maybe a few wont hurt me! Oh I love nuts!!!!! It takes one to love one! :lol:

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Mother Bear said:
My dietitian told me to stay away from nuts as they are too fatty, but now I am counting my carbs which she is also against as most maybe a few wont hurt me! Oh I love nuts!!!!! It takes one to love one! :lol:
One hand full a day of almonds is fine. I do know Brazil nuts are very fatty though.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a big nut fan. Macadamias are great - you only need a few to fill you up (high in monounsaturated fat), but I also eat TONS of salted pistachios. Pistachios are high in fibre, and the fact that you have to shell each one means they last a while. great for snacking on while watching TV...

badmedisin

Macadamias are my favourite but they're so expensive!
Don't give that charlatan gilliam mckeith your money please! You'll only encourage her to make up more absolute nonsense. She basically thinks we can photosynthesise, she got her phd online and some of her dodgy herbal supplements have actually been banned. Hmm. Much cheaper to buy bags of sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, mix them with some soy sauce and whatever herbs and spices you like (I like to add whole coriander seeds) then grill them or cook in the oven for a few minutes. Yummy, reasonably priced and you know exactly what's in it (no algae...)
:).

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Patch said:
Pistachios are high in fibre, and the fact that you have to shell each one means they last a while. great for snacking on while watching TV...

Agreed :!:

I used to eat alot of these but now I tend to eat more almonds as there great with a protein shake before bed :)

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I eat 50 gms of Walnuts a day is that too much ? Will it affect my blood sugar I’m type 2 diabetic

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I eat 50 gms of Walnuts a day is that too much ? Will it affect my blood sugar I’m type 2 diabetic
This thread is 11 years old, you may have broken a record. 50g of walnuts is 3.6g of carbs which wouldn't worry me but I am concerned about the 344kcal that goes with it.