1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Obese and low carb

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by claymic, Jul 27, 2014.

1. claymic

claymic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If one is seriously overweight is it really ok to do low carb without the need to count calorie. Lchf feels a bit scary to indulge thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Geordie lass

Geordie lass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think so. I was very obese when I started low carbing in April and have lost 69lbs since then and my diabetes has improved immensely too!! I tend to have about 40-50g of carbs per day and use myfitnesspal as well to keep track of my cals and nutrients. Its the best thing I've ever done for good diabetes control. I'd say go for it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mud Island Dweller

Mud Island Dweller Type 2 · Well-Known Member

go to dietdoctor.com and have a read but l would say yes l have never counted and as l believe is heap of ..... to count l lchf and was obese.

• Like Like x 2
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Most people seem to lose weight on LCHF without calorie counting. I only lost 1/4 lb per month so I introduced calorie counting as well....it's trial and error really. I would start with an easy plan to cut carbs and see how it goes. Good luck.

5. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

I'm lchf and all for it, but I notice a post saying you're cold, are you eating enough healthy fat/ oil ?

6. Geordie lass

Hi Jack412, I don't think I am to be honest. My daily fat intake is averaging about 8g per day, according to myfitnesspal. Not really sure how many grams per day I am meant to be having!! :confused:

7. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

That, if correct, is very low for anyone.
    The GDA (based on a 2000cal diet) for fat is 70g a day It's based on 30% of calories. Even using a US calculator which takes into account age and so reduced calorie needs I get 52g of fat
    http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fat.asp

How many calories does MFP say you are taking in? If you are eating low carb and very low fat that suggests not very many
    8g of fat at 9cal a gram = 72 cal
    50g carb at 4 cal a gram = 200 cal
    then protein.

I suspect that it can't be that low. Some of the data on MFP is totally incorrect though because it is crowd sourced. When I use it I try to check several different entries for similar foods

• Like Like x 4
    #7 phoenix, Jul 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  8. Geordie lass

Thanks pheonix. I consume about 700cals per day as that is all I can manage. I have about 64g of protein per day and 40g of that is in my protein water that I drink. I had a sleeve gastrectomy in April so I cannot take much in at the moment. But at least my diabetes is well controlled now and my insulin has reduced dramatically.

• Like Like x 3
  9. modesty007

modesty007 Other · Well-Known Member

Here's a good link for anyone finding their way around LCHF - http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
    At the moment I'm doing a strict version to get my weight loss going after some months stand still, my daily intake; carbs less then 10 grams, protein app 0,5 gram per lean lbs weight or less, and the rest fat usually 120-200 gram.

10. claymic

How do you make up the big amount of fat? Unless you are eating butter or oil most of other food items have protein too.

Also how do you calculate the amount of protein? How do you calculate the lean lbs?

Thanks

11. modesty007

modesty007 Other · Well-Known Member

Lean lbs or kg is my target weight, app BMI 22 (yes I know BMI is not ideal to use).
    For the fat, I usually have bullet coffee for breakfast - coffee with butter (45 gram) and coconut oil (40 gram) well mixed, for dinner I either add flavoured butter (let butter melt over meat or fish) or have a butter/egg sauce like bearnaise or hollandaise, full fat Jersey cream in my afternoon coffee together with a couple of tsp coconut oil. Other ways of doing it could be to choose fatty fish, avocado and stay away from lean meat. I never buy lean minced beef, but rather have the grass-fed kind with more fat bought at farmers market.

12. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

@claymic how is it going. Have you increased your fat
    Are you still cold

13. claymic

I am trying to low carb but have had a couple of days with binges. Doing this with earig disorder os difficult but I have got now lots of supplies. I will continue trying. Thanks

14. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I
    It can be really difficult to start and not get tempted. If like me you live with a family. To go low carb is hard when you see what's in the cupboard freezer fridge, you will need will power and help to do this. If you can reduce your plate size and cut out the binging and snacking your half way there. Test, test, test you will surprise yourself when you actually see the results. Just don't give up, we all have lapses.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook