Obsessed with food and numbers.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tomorrow will be four weeks since I was diagnosed. It started as probably type 2 , then went to definately type 1 and now I have a diagnosis of LADA.
I started off by injecting insulin 2x a day but have now been taken off insulin and put onto byetta and metformin.

I am always on the internet reading up about diabetes. I am constantly obsessing about food and what I should and shouldn't be eating. Now that I am on byetta I am trying to eat as few carbs as possible (still around 80g today ).
I am obsessed with my BGL - since starting byetta my before meal readings have gone from 3/4/5's to mostly 5/6's and I can already feel myself panicking.

I am driving myself demented. Does this get any easier - do you become less obsessed as you get more used to living with diabetes?

MaryJ

Hi fairylights

I'm type 2 on diet only and can say for certain for me YES it got easier.

Once you know for sure how different foods affect you, you can and will start to relax and only test new foods, even then you will have a good idea what the reading will be. With you being LADA you may not relax as much as I have been able to.

It's understandable to want to absorb as much info about your condition as you can,

Mary x

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I hope it does. I am worried that I am too obsessed and then I'll get to a point where I've had enough and want to start something new. But I can't really afford to do that can I?
I am starting to think about trying some low carb baking now!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
fairylights said:
Does this get any easier - do you become less obsessed as you get more used to living with diabetes?

Yes it does get easier! :)

Mileana

Maybe already now you can keep a list of safe foods?

If that is so, have a day or two a week where you eat only those and call that your days off from experimenting, reading and investigating apart from the bits you have to do. (Testing around meals and if something is off, but not like it was a religion, y'knowhatImean...)

Should take the pressure off it a bit and you have the other 5 days to 'work' in.

You can always react to any off readings you're getting even on an 'off' day, but if all is well, don't fuss - just stick to what you know already is good for you.

It's a bit of to and fro to learn, implement, learn some more, implement...

Above method should be relatively safe, if you know your safe foods... And then don't go all google-mania on those days. Brain needs a bit of time to adjust also :)

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
Hi, your post heading caught my eye!! I have been dx for 18m now, type 1. I was and still am obsessed with food and numbers, it seems my whole life revolves around food. I am on MDI and lantus and have to inject for every mouthful I eat. It seems sometimes I just want to run away from it all and stuff my face with whatever! but I know I can't, so I plod on, thankful, really , that they found out what was wrong with me and that I am still able to lead a relatively good style of living, barring all that I love in the form of cakes and sweets, but! hey! I'm not blind, disabled, deaf or any of those really sad things that some poor souls have to endure. so I think myself lucky in some respects and just eat sensibly, cut down on carbs whenever I can and want to, keep my numbers withing range if at all possible and get all the tests I am offered and bear in mind that everyone is different, and what goes for one doesn't always suit another. find your best level and experiment with different foods, and try not to (says the pot calling the kettle black!) worry. and good luck to you on your journey through it all. X