1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Occasionally over 20 carbs ...

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by BrianDoc, Oct 13, 2021.

1. BrianDoc

BrianDoc · Well-Known Member

I have been under 30 carbs for over a month, under 40 for a month or two before that, and under 20 most days, and had decided to try to stick to under 20.

But, I have a different breakfast and lunch from my wife which doesn’t cause any great issues, but we would prefer to have the same diner which would mean that a couple of times a week I am going to be about 25 carbs, would that mean that I am waisting my time going under 20 the other days ?

2. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The only way to find out is to test your glucose levels just before eating and 2 hours after to see how the meal affected your glucose levels.
    Carol

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BrianDoc

I am moving to under 20 carbs, more in an effort to lose weight, or rather to lose weight more quickly, my fasting glucose levels are in the 5s, and testing before and after meals I am generally 4.8 to 5.4.

4. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maybe go for a walk after the carby meals.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BrianDoc

I’m walking about 6 miles a day, just a mile at a time, the weight is coming off, but painfully slowly.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. BrianDoc

I suppose my real question is can you reach and maintain ketosis if you are under 20 carbs 5 days a week, and under 25 the other two ? Or are you unlikely to hit ketosis eating to this pattern, in which case personally I would probably forget about trying to go under 20.

7. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I found I reached ketosis at less than 35g

• Like Like x 1
  8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes is the answer to that, it's very possible. I go into ketosis when I have up to 50 carbs a day. The only way I suppose to tell for definite whether you are in ketosis is to do a ketone check. We are all different and have a different threshold as to when we go into ketosis, but generally speaking it can happen at any level beneath 50 (slightly more I think for some). Your extra '5 'carbs a day (how naughty!!), might well be fine, have you ever done a ketone check whilst on your 20 carbs a day?, up it to 25 carbs a day and do another one, all trial & error really.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BrianDoc

Many thanks for your replies folks, I’ll stick at it and see if it helps the scales move.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

@BrianDoc You can go in and out of ketosis several times a day if you are on the edge of what you need to do to swap. It is no huge effort to change to ketosis, at least for most people - once you get out of a surplus of carbs situation.
    Dr Atkins had people losing weight at up to 90 gm of carbs a day, by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why can your wife not eat the same as you? Low carbing won't hurt her. My husband and son often have the same as me. On the odd occasion they choose carbs I just add them to their portions but not to mine.
    Tonight for example was frittata, they had oven chips added to their plates. Last night we were all on lc sausages with cauliflower cheese

12. boggle

boggle MODY · Active Member

I have found I only get significant ketones with different types of fasting (16:8, 20:4, OMAD, 24hr, 36hr) and my carbs range from 0-20g a day. I had slow weight loss with keto diet (1lb per week).

We are all different though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Active Member

@BrianDoc: Our bodies are designed to be dual fuel burners - we use both carbs and fats for energy depending on what's currently available. Ketones are produced when we're in the fat burning phase, so as @Resurgam says you can be in and out of ketosis depending on which of the two are currently using.

Our bodies use carbs preferentially as they are a quick 'n easy fuel source, fats require more effort so are used when carbs are not available. If you are used to a high carb diet, you generally need to go ultra low carb/keto (e.g. 20-25g carbs a day) for a while to persuade your body to accept its fat burning state (again), but an occasional few extra carbs here and there are not going to prevent this happening. And once you are reliably in a fat adapted state - which may take several weeks starting from scratch - you can certainly eat more carbs without any problem, and it's quite possible to eat around 50g carbs a day and still have all the benefits of a ketogenic diet.

ETA In priority order we burn fuel from carbs, then from dietary fats, and lastly stored/body fat, so to lose weight we need to consume less carbs and fats than we actually need. I don't believe that the actual numbers of carbs are specifically the route to losing weight.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #13 Robbity2, Oct 14, 2021 at 4:03 PM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  14. BrianDoc

Generally speaking I have scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon and mushrooms, and a couple of coffees with milk for breakfast, 6 carbs. A mug of homemade chicken broth for lunch, 3 carbs, so only got 11 carbs left for diner.
    My wife does eat the same as me at diner, in the main, but occasionally diner stretches to 17 carbs rather than 11, and I wouldn’t deprive her of those odd meals she enjoys a couple of times a week, she bends over backwards as it is to try to help me.

15. BrianDoc

That is encouraging, I am about 10 months into low carb, but whereas my ac1 has dropped from 126 to 42, the weight has been very slow to come off whereas reading of others experiences on here many seem to lose substantial amounts of weight very quickly, I will have to be patient which isn’t me !!

16. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Will depend quite a lot on how much weight you have to lose.
    I was morbidly obese when diagnosed (23 stone) and could hardly walk more than 100 yards so changing my eating led to the weight falling off pretty quickly although I still had some "stalls" on the way down.
    I found that restricting my eating window also helped with the loss and some extending fasting when it stopped for longer periods.
    Also of course your weight didn't appear in a straight line progression so it's unlikely it would come off that way either. Keep going and it will happen.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. BrianDoc

I am over 24 stone, doing intermittent fasting, 6 one mile walks a day and eating less than 20 carbs most days, been under 80 carbs since February, under 40 since June, I’m about 3lb lighter than I was 6 months ago .... I’ll stick with it for a while longer as I have only been doing the walks and fasting for about 6 weeks, and my fasting number is better, but getting to the stage as my A1c was the same eating 80 carbs as it was at 40, and so is my weight, I would be as well eating 80 which was very easy.

18. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

What's your eating window?

19. BrianDoc

I have breakfast about 0930, 2 scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon and mushrooms, 2 coffees with milk. 6 carbs.

I have lunch about 1300, a mug of homemade chicken broth, 3 carbs

I have diner about 1730, a meat dish, normally with a sauce or if not with cauliflower or broccoli with a cheese sauce, normally under 10 carbs.

20. jape

jape Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations for bringing your a1c down from 126 to 42 in just 4 months. That is phenomenal - kudos to you! Increasing your carb intake by 5g is marginal and should not have any major impact.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook