mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Had my usual lunch today, should have injected approx 5 units of Humalog. Forgot ! Just finished cardio workout, tested blood and it was 4 ! Even without insulin ! Weird ! Could it be the workout ? Only 45 mins on stationary bike !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Odd blood reading !

Honeymoon period and the good workout perhaps :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Possibly ! Thanks guys ! Just would have thought it would have been high but I think I am still in honeymoon period !

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I had this the other day, but minus the work out! Honeymoon period at its best. The work out will have helped too

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Sometimes I swear they made a mis-diagnosis lol ! I can eat and drink whatever I want as well ! I feel like a bit of a cheat ! Enjoy it while we can I guess ;-)

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden

It was the exercise; my BG always comes down more after exercise when I have eaten carbs beforehand. If I exercise when BG is low, it will go up afterwards because my liver will panic at the demand for energy with little BG and chuck a lot more glucose into the blood.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Thanks Sketcher ! Makes sense !

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

mo1905 said:
Sometimes I swear they made a mis-diagnosis lol ! I can eat and drink whatever I want as well ! I feel like a bit of a cheat ! Enjoy it while we can I guess ;-)

Yup I've been enjoying it for a week now, only injecting my levimer and leaving out the Novorapid completely

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

I'm in 2 minds about it really. I sometimes wish it would just snd so I can get used to dealing with my diet/insulin etc on a more regular basis. On the other hand, sat there with a
Big bowl of ice cream and a few beers and not worrying about spikes is pretty nice. What about you Hale ?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Enjoy it while our lasts and long may it continue lol :)

Even now 2 years after diagnosis excercise drops me considerably. But that was on mdi. In a normal non diabetic (cause diabetics arnt normal ;) when exercising their body switches off so to speak the basal insulin. on long acting insulin obviously we can't do that as when its in thats that. Im now on a pump and will be able to reduce my basal 1 hour prior to a workout to replicate a normal person. So, when someone on long acting insulin does a cardio workout the basal is doing alot more than it should and can cover meals without qa insulin and even more causing hypos. Be warned though, your muscles will want to replace the sugar it has used after and thats why some find they have a spike after as the liver releases sugar for the muscles to re fuel, also why qa for the meal following excercise may also need to be reduced.

Im yet to excercise with my pump as im fairly new on it and still tweaking the basal. Once thats done will be concentrating on adjusting for excercise , can't wait (not).

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Cheers Brett ! Good info ! Just tested after dinner and shot up to over 10 ! This is most odd ! Had an evening meal and took usual dose of insulin and shot right up. So, went from 4 without insulin to 10 after taking insulin ! Could this be my lunch catching up ?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

might the beers lol. any sugar in liquid quickly absorbed and processed to sugar lol. Don't insulate extra though as alchohol will slow down the liver from releasing sugar which I as why after the sugar will probably drop by themselves.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Brett, you are psychic lol ! How do you even know I'm having a beer ? I'm nervous now ;-)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

mo1905 said:
I'm in 2 minds about it really. I sometimes wish it would just snd so I can get used to dealing with my diet/insulin etc on a more regular basis. On the other hand, sat there with a
Big bowl of ice cream and a few beers and not worrying about spikes is pretty nice. What about you Hale ?

I'm the same. We had a birthday to ugly so I have had cake etc and a big dinner. But my BG was only 8.6 after. That's only a little inflated when I consider I previously would have needed 6 units for it! So that's nice, but I wish I had a bit more continuity so I could plan better!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Haha, im watching u.........not really lol u said in a previous post about having beers, read it again I think u meant in general, but thought u meant now lol

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

hale710 said:
brett said:
Haha, im watching u.........

Better watch out Mo, there's a stalker in our midst!! ;)

Yep, be warned ;)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Im yet to excercise with my pump as im fairly new on it and still tweaking the basal. Once thats done will be concentrating on adjusting for excercise , can't wait (not).
And even when you think you've got it right something changes.
I used to exercise with just 0.1u basal . Have been quite lazy this winter, not much more than weekly long walks and a few short runs. When I did exercise, I began to find I didn't need to reduce it as much. It was great, no hypos , fewer horrible glucose tablets, just nice 'normal' levels.

This week, we went for the weekly walk with a walking group. We had the first hot day of the year with temps in the mid 20s. ( rain, hail and a North wind, the week before!) Put on a temp basal, 0.25, which has been fine recently.
An hour in and begin to feel 'weak' , light headed and insular; glucose 3.3mmol/l .
It was a real struggle trying to get glucose in and force myself to carry on . I know I should stop and that's what I do when I'm by myself or just with my husband. With a group, you can't fall too far behind or you might get lost. If I said something then they'd stop and wait and be very sympathetic but one of my hypo symptoms is not wanting to communicate with others . My husband is brilliant but I think I probably scare him at such times.
Why oh why though, does it always happen when you've just started going up a very long hill ?