Odd Reading

Emmerdale

GM,Yesterday 2 hours after my evening meal my blood test was 6.5 which I suppose is good but it was not what I expected.I expected high 5s or low 6sso rightly or wrongly I retested within 30 seconds and used the other side of the same finger and got a reading of 6.0 around where I expected it to be, can anyone explain it to me or is this quite a normal thing to happen ?. :?:

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
i heard with some meters it matters if you hold the meter horizontal or vertical

siobhanie26

Maybe try doing a control solution test on your meter? i think its called that but its a little pot of solution to test the meter is working ok.

ALso i heard that newspaper print can increase your blood sugar as well so have you been reading the paper before?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi, dont worry about small discrepancies in meter readings they work within a + - 20% error margin so if your levels are usually in the 5's and low 6's then any reading could be out by up to 1 mmoll/L either way, and no two reading will ever be exactly the same even if taken from the same blood sample at the same time, again the home testing meters are just not that actuate. They just give you a good indication of your bg level.

Mid 5's to mid 6's after eating are well into non diabetic territory anyway so why stress yourself? Just be thankful that you are well controlled at present :thumbup: