Oddly good HbA1C

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm diet controlled.
Had my test results recently and it was 37 mmol/mol.
You would think that's good except that I've been fairly inactive due to a hip problem (and work) and a little less strict with my diet. Self testing I used to be usually between 4 and 5, for the last 6 months or so it's been more 5-6 and sometimes higher.
I was expecting a high reading and a suggestion about Metformin.

I'm wondering if it is due to my hip replacement surgery a couple of months before the test. I guess I will have lost a lot of red blood cells which the body would have worked overtime to replace? Could that cause a low HbA1c as it would be based on a higher than expected proportion of new cells?
The tests did come back with a few other anomalies but I was told that would be due to the surgery.

And the nurse said I should stop testing - I'm going to ignore that, I don't test frequently now anyway but I'd like to know if there is a problem without waiting for the HbA1c.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen the blood glucose level ranges on this site? http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Your results (5-6) put you squarely into the non-diabetic range. Why were you expecting a higher HbA1C?

Is it that you only measure fasting BG? With some people, that is the last value to reduce, and all during the day the BG is tightly controlled (usually through a LCHF diet).

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen the blood glucose level ranges on this site? http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Your results (5-6) put you squarely into the non-diabetic range. Why were you expecting a higher HbA1C?

Is it that you only measure fasting BG? With some people, that is the last value to reduce, and all during the day the BG is tightly controlled (usually through a LCHF diet).

Tanks for the reply.
Just comparing it with what I was getting before.
When I say 5-6 that is more of a baseline - what I expect to get down to after meals or a bit of light exercise. Previously I was hitting 4.3-4.5 but now I am more like 5.5. Could be that the peaks are no different - or maybe I am going a lot lower but don't test frequently enough now to catch it.
I'm not worried about it - actually a bit pleased that I don't have to be so careful about my diet.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I say well done. I was also astounded by my last HbA1c result 33. I was often getting 6's on my meter fasting and I think my fasting average was about 5.4. I can only think that I was normally not much higher. I know I had a couple of peaks of 9 or 10 when testing new foods but I didn't test meals that I know to be OK from past results. I would assume that you are probably in a similar position. I think you are showing very good overall control. I would also agree with you on keeping testing at least to reassure yourself that you are still on track.

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.
It could also be that previously I was showing a higher HbA1c due to the residue from when I was diagnosed and very high.
They say the cells last about 3 months but maybe some can linger.