1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Of all changes in your "old" lifestyle you had to do, which one was the most difficult?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by JacquesFR, May 16, 2022.

1. JacquesFR

JacquesFR · Member

A family member was recently diagnosed type 2 and I'm trying to understand what it means for our lifestyle/every day life. This made me curious to ask which changes it brought onto others' lives, and which changes were the hardest.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I miss real fresh bread and crisps the most.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  3. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bread, and other people (ahh, go on, 1 (insert carb here) won't hurt you

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Having never liked the idea of eating lots of 'healthy' carbs at diagnosis I stopped eating them and used the diet sheets to light the barbecue.
    I can honestly say it was the easiest alteration in lifestyle, going from following the doctors advice to cutting the carbs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I guess to help we'd need to know some more details of whoever has been diagnosed.

Many of us changed what we ate and put our T2 condition into remission.

If they want to do that then we can of course assist but it's far better to get the person themselves to join the forum rather than give advice through a third party if at all possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LeftPeg

LeftPeg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm not ashamed to say I love bread, crisps, pizza etc far more than steak, eggs, bacon. That's no doubt what got me into this mess! I found those hard to give him, but found the more obvious sugary stuff (sweets, cake, chocolate etc) far easier.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Baked beans!

Many years of chip butties, need a mention!

I believe the biggest change has to be the knowledge of why and how my body works, the way it does and the realisation that so called healthy food, is definitely not healthy for me!

Thehe change in lifestyle, came naturally if I was going to get my health back!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Zhnyaka

Zhnyaka Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Everyone misses food. No one complains about the need to do blood tests, give injections or consult a doctor. So, you can see that diabetes is not so terrible :) Over time, you really stop paying attention to the need for medical manipulations and begin to treat it as if you need to wash your hands before eating

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My original long term "diet" was much closer to my current low carb one than the high carb version that was more or less imposed upon me in recent years, so although I resented that a few higher carb foods I enjoyed were no longer advisable, I had no real problem in making a change. There's still a great variety of different foods that I have always eaten and still am able to eat while managing my T2, and some that I've tried since diagnosis and now also enjoy.

For me it's been a positive rather than a negative experience. It was a great relief to find that some long term and some more recent pre-diagnosis health issues I'd had were mostly fixable by the change in my diet. In particular I no longer suffer from previous lifelong chronic and debilitating migraines.

My main but fairly minor problem was over my change in diet, which I solved by doing my own personal food shopping, preparation and cooking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

My first fast, which was actually only skipping breakfast. Due to my previous medical issues it was a huge step for me, but one I’m very grateful to have taken. The food bit was pretty easy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MaviesDavies2

MaviesDavies2 · Member

Biscuits. Sigh.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Outlier

Outlier · Well-Known Member

Similar to lessci except for the bread. I didn't find any of the changes difficult (but then I am a T2, which is easier to manage). But some other people's attitudes are very hard to take.
    No I didn't bring it on myself
    No it isn't my fault
    No I can't have "just one" and it WILL matter
    And similar.

Also having to fight my corner with medical professionals who don't seem to have done as much research as they should, or who have - ah - different incentives that don't include my welfare, and have a my-way-or-the-highway attitude. It would be so good to be able to have intelligent dialogue and mutual respect.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My own homemade bread . . .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  14. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have bee so fortunate in that respect! My GP originally suggested I tried Atkins for weight loss, and has been nothing but positive and supportive over my low carb efforts and results. As was my original (now sadly retired) DN who wold look at my results and say "Just keep on doing what you're doing...".

Current DN however is a bit of a doozy and after my first review with her and a discussion on low carb, came out with words to the effect: "But have you considered gastric surgery ?" DOH!! o_O:wacky:

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fruit - I miss fruit every day even after 13 years - and the Italian contingent arm of the family - OMG their pasta - not pasta in general just theirs - it takes all my will power not to touch it - sometimes I do give in and have a tiny bit - bite me!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  16. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

well said I like this comment

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

going every where without worrying about med and bg levels

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I miss crunchy thick slices of toast, with lots of butter. Though admit to having it once in a while. Also fruit, especially bananas, (which I would have on toast) and peaches, and nectarines.

A change I don’t mind at all is that I no longer have that lethargic, sleepy bloated feeling after meals, due to avoiding the so called ‘healthy carbs’.

• Like Like x 4
  19. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think it is hard to now know how much the 'normal' Western diets are so damaging to so many people, not just those now with type 2 diabetes.
    For example had family visiting yesterday for multiple birthday celebrations. I found it really hard not to provide foods that I belive bad for them, when they see those foods as celebrations and part of every day life. In the end I felt I had to provide carbs, just did the minimum I could get away with. So hard to see the next generations going from bad food to worse. I can deal with my own health, but now feel complicit when making meals with carbs in for my loved ones, especially the young ones.

• Like Like x 4
  20. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Expert

Have to agree 100% with outliers point

The attitude of my surgery to food and the indifference to the lowering of my HBA1c.

I got a well done text, but I'm sure it's not common to drop numbers like I did among the other T2D, yet no one's interested

Still with the "Eat more carbs" rubbish :rolleyes:
    And the underlying feeling I'm just 'wrong' in their eyes :banghead:.

So yeah.
    Bread & discovering results don't mean much to those who should be more curious

Brings to mind
    "For those who believe, no proof required.
    For those who don't, no proof would ever be enough "

That and the bored glassy eyes of family, when I start to mention how 'healthy food' ..really isn't :hilarious::hilarious:
    I stopped bothering after a few months

But on a plus note long term asthmatic.
    Preventer & inhalers used daily.

Missus noted I didn't cough as much, one day
    Mmh..she was right.

It's hasn't gone away, but it's definitely down around 90% of where it had been for 20 odd years....WIN.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #20 jjraak, May 17, 2022 at 3:10 AM
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook