1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Off into hospital tomorrow for an operation

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by andcol, Aug 18, 2014.

1. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I am going into hospital for an operation on my back tomorrow. Nothing too serious just a 7 inch diameter lump that I found on my back after losing weight (a lipoma). Because of its size and depth this will be under a general. Anyone got any advice on anaesthetics, BG levels, etc?

By the way it is an estimated 3 lbs so that will take me down to 12st 4lbs (just 4 lbs from my target) so that is a benefit.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

Goodness, that is large. I hope everything goes well for you. You have a brilliant positive attitude.:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

best of luck dude!

4. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hope it all goes well Andrew.

5. cold ethyl

cold ethyl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Best of luck. I always find that anaesthetics make me retain water for few days so expect to be a bit heavier than you think you should be minus the lipoma. Xx

#5 cold ethyl, Aug 18, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  6. Patricia21

Patricia21 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hope all goes well.

7. No advice, but all the best.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sancho panza

Sancho panza Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hope it all goes well for you.

9. andcol

Retired Moderator

Thanks everyone - I am sure it will be fine. @cold ethyl I will watch out for water retention. I don't think I will be able to exercise much for a week so will have to cut down the calories - wondering if I should increase the protein though.

• Like Like x 2
  10. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

How long will you be incarcerated?

My guy feel would be that you'll probably have a decent day for bloods tomorrow, as there'll be a good chunk of the day fasting. Thereafter, with your pancreas, I'm guessing you'll be fine.

If you're not on the list until tomorrow afternoon, you'll have to remember to take your mittens and socks with you, as your extremities could get a bit chilly!

Good luck with that Andrew. I'm sure we'll all be sending positive vibes.

• Like Like x 3
  11. andcol

Retired Moderator

Was told at pre-op that I am first in (got to be there at 0730) because I am diabetic. Not sure what difference that makes! Had to have an ECG (seems all men over 40 and women over 50 do) got all clear from that so that is good news. So my *cough *cough too man years of living like a sloth hasn't done too much damage to my heart. Shame about other parts of my system. Although if it hadn't I wouldn't have met all you great people.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Sorry to hear about your operation Andrew , but it is always such a relief when the op is done ...
    I had one spinal anaesthetic last year and one general , both interesting ....In fact I recovered better with the general ....even though I prefer to remain in control and I am needle phobic...

I took some snacks in with me , because the operation and the whole experience made my bs levels drop to 3 and lower ..
    Along with some cartons of orange juice ....they all helped ...and meals can be late ....
    I kept some fruit with me and breakfast cereal bars ....all just in case ....

I also took some pure no sugar coconut water with me ...in case you get a dry mouth ....and it helps to keep you rehydrated ....
    Apart from that ...try to stay relaxed ...easy to say I know ....and of course take it easy afterwards ...don't go rushing around because you think you feel better that anaesthetic takes a while to leave you ....take it easy and take care ....best wishes Kat

13. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Yes I was booked for 7.30 but it was 11am before I had my op , take something to read ....

14. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Best of luck mate. Get the bed warm cos I'm in day ward Wednesday for tests!

• Like Like x 2
  15. andcol

Retired Moderator

@AndBreathe in the morning and out in the afternoon some time after I have recovered and my wife picks me up. As for my cold hands and feet - umm think i will have other things on my mind - like the wooziness - to even notice it.

Oh a 3 now that is too low for me. I have a great glucogen store at the moment after over indulging (by 200g - yes in one sitting!!! I am such an idiot) in turkish delight over the weekend and not really burning it off fully so should be able to maintain myself. Intend to not test and just go with the flow. I expect the nurses probably will but don't know really.

16. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cheat!

Best of luck fellah.

• Like Like x 6
  17. andcol

Retired Moderator

Lol @JACKTHELAD. Did suggest he puts it back in my bum as that has totally disappeared.

• Like Like x 2
  18. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

No need to have food parcels sent in then......... :nurse:

• Like Like x 2
  19. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thinking of you, take it easy, wishing you a speedy recovery from the op.

• Like Like x 2
  20. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Best wishes for tomorrow Andrew, hope all goes well and you make a swift recovery.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook