Off into hospital tomorrow for an operation

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am going into hospital for an operation on my back tomorrow. Nothing too serious just a 7 inch diameter lump that I found on my back after losing weight (a lipoma). Because of its size and depth this will be under a general. Anyone got any advice on anaesthetics, BG levels, etc?

By the way it is an estimated 3 lbs so that will take me down to 12st 4lbs (just 4 lbs from my target) so that is a benefit.

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goodness, that is large. I hope everything goes well for you. You have a brilliant positive attitude.:)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hope it all goes well Andrew.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best of luck. I always find that anaesthetics make me retain water for few days so expect to be a bit heavier than you think you should be minus the lipoma. Xx

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks everyone - I am sure it will be fine. @cold ethyl I will watch out for water retention. I don't think I will be able to exercise much for a week so will have to cut down the calories - wondering if I should increase the protein though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going into hospital for an operation on my back tomorrow. Nothing too serious just a 7 inch diameter lump that I found on my back after losing weight (a lipoma). Because of its size and depth this will be under a general. Anyone got any advice on anaesthetics, BG levels, etc?

By the way it is an estimated 3 lbs so that will take me down to 12st 4lbs (just 4 lbs from my target) so that is a benefit.

How long will you be incarcerated?

My guy feel would be that you'll probably have a decent day for bloods tomorrow, as there'll be a good chunk of the day fasting. Thereafter, with your pancreas, I'm guessing you'll be fine.

If you're not on the list until tomorrow afternoon, you'll have to remember to take your mittens and socks with you, as your extremities could get a bit chilly!

Good luck with that Andrew. I'm sure we'll all be sending positive vibes.

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Was told at pre-op that I am first in (got to be there at 0730) because I am diabetic. Not sure what difference that makes! Had to have an ECG (seems all men over 40 and women over 50 do) got all clear from that so that is good news. So my *cough *cough too man years of living like a sloth hasn't done too much damage to my heart. Shame about other parts of my system. Although if it hadn't I wouldn't have met all you great people.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Sorry to hear about your operation Andrew , but it is always such a relief when the op is done ...
I had one spinal anaesthetic last year and one general , both interesting ....In fact I recovered better with the general ....even though I prefer to remain in control and I am needle phobic...

I took some snacks in with me , because the operation and the whole experience made my bs levels drop to 3 and lower ..
Along with some cartons of orange juice ....they all helped ...and meals can be late ....
I kept some fruit with me and breakfast cereal bars ....all just in case ....

I also took some pure no sugar coconut water with me ...in case you get a dry mouth ....and it helps to keep you rehydrated ....
Apart from that ...try to stay relaxed ...easy to say I know ....and of course take it easy afterwards ...don't go rushing around because you think you feel better that anaesthetic takes a while to leave you ....take it easy and take care ....best wishes Kat

K

Kat100

Was told at pre-op that I am first in (got to be there at 0730) because I am diabetic. Not sure what difference that makes! Had to have an ECG (seems all men over 40 and women over 50 do) got all clear from that so that is good news. So my *cough *cough too man years of living like a sloth hasn't done too much damage to my heart. Shame about other parts of my system. Although if it hadn't I wouldn't have met all you great people.
Yes I was booked for 7.30 but it was 11am before I had my op , take something to read ....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Best of luck mate. Get the bed warm cos I'm in day ward Wednesday for tests!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@AndBreathe in the morning and out in the afternoon some time after I have recovered and my wife picks me up. As for my cold hands and feet - umm think i will have other things on my mind - like the wooziness - to even notice it.

Oh a 3 now that is too low for me. I have a great glucogen store at the moment after over indulging (by 200g - yes in one sitting!!! I am such an idiot) in turkish delight over the weekend and not really burning it off fully so should be able to maintain myself. Intend to not test and just go with the flow. I expect the nurses probably will but don't know really.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Cheat!

Best of luck fellah.

Reactions: 6 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lol @JACKTHELAD. Did suggest he puts it back in my bum as that has totally disappeared.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe in the morning and out in the afternoon some time after I have recovered and my wife picks me up. As for my cold hands and feet - umm think i will have other things on my mind - like the wooziness - to even notice it.

Oh a 3 now that is too low for me. I have a great glucogen store at the moment after over indulging (by 200g - yes in one sitting!!! I am such an idiot) in turkish delight over the weekend and not really burning it off fully so should be able to maintain myself. Intend to not test and just go with the flow. I expect the nurses probably will but don't know really.

No need to have food parcels sent in then......... :nurse:

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of you, take it easy, wishing you a speedy recovery from the op.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Best wishes for tomorrow Andrew, hope all goes well and you make a swift recovery.