ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Yesterday and today, I have been off the rails.eating everything and anything. Before lunch, bs was 15.9. Only myself to blame

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, hopefully just a blip @ally1, so are things back to normal now and how are you feeling ?

Reactions: 9 people

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ally1 Your progress over the past two years is so good and an example to people like me who have just started on the road to getting control. We all suffer temporary setbacks so as a newbie I ask that you get back to your determined self and inspire others. Your post shows that you want to - all the best

Reactions: 11 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday and today, I have been off the rails.eating everything and anything. Before lunch, bs was 15.9. Only myself to blame

If things are all a bit much, then focus on one thing at a time, with getting your bloods back into the great range you have achieved being the main one, for today.

Giving up smoking is very hard, from all I hear, so maybe you have to try giving up half for, say, a month, then cut down more, then cut down more. Going from 40 a day to none is a huge step, and could be a shock to your body. When you ate whatever you did, were you actually feeling hungry, or did you just need to do something with your hands that went into your mouth?

Many moons ago, a heavy smoking friend of mine gave up, using the NHS support (Quite Line, I think?), patches and many, many, many cherry tomatoes. She used to keep them where she would have had her cigarettes, and if she felt the need, she'd pop one or two cherry tomatoes, rather than a cigarette, to distract herself.

Sadly, my Mother died from a disease wholly attributable to smoking, so I am very keen for others to give up, but like all changes the timing and tactics have to be right.

Don't beat yourself up too much Ally. It solves nothing. Try to get back on that horse Ally.

Reactions: 4 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ally1
Sending love and pleased that you have shared it. It may be that you are trying too many things at once. Sorry I can't really help but I'm sure facing up to the problem is the first step and you've done that.
Hugs galore but I can only press the button once. Take care.

Reactions: 2 people

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugars where 31 yesterday. I know how it feels to be off the rails :( Stay strong x

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
If things are all a bit much, then focus on one thing at a time, with getting your bloods back into the great range you have achieved being the main one, for today.

Giving up smoking is very hard, from all I hear, so maybe you have to try giving up half for, say, a month, then cut down more, then cut down more. Going from 40 a day to none is a huge step, and could be a shock to your body. When you ate whatever you did, were you actually feeling hungry, or did you just need to do something with your hands that went into your mouth?

Many moons ago, a heavy smoking friend of mine gave up, using the NHS support (Quite Line, I think?), patches and many, many, many cherry tomatoes. She used to keep them where she would have had her cigarettes, and if she felt the need, she'd pop one or two cherry tomatoes, rather than a cigarette, to distract herself.

Sadly, my Mother died from a disease wholly attributable to smoking, so I am very keen for others to give up, but like all changes the timing and tactics have to be right.

Don't beat yourself up too much Ally. It solves nothing. Try to get back on that horse Ally.
thank you. I am hungry but could be because of nor smoking. Going to try your suggestion of halving what I smoked for a month, then tackle the other 20

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you. I am hungry but could be because of nor smoking. Going to try your suggestion of halving what I smoked for a month, then tackle the other 20

But, please make yourself a promise to tackle the remainder. Smoking is such a quietly harmful pastime to most people who do it. I would so love to see you able to ditch the cigs and take another leap to the healthy side.

It is hard to tackle everything at one Ally.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ally, Your hunger is most likely from high BS. A few years ago we had many articles about how 70% of people who quit smoking become diabetic. Not sure about that but it was written all over many times. I have completely quit smoking 3 or more times for about 3 months and then My body literally fell apart. I have spoken with 3 Dr's about this and they told me that after smoking as long as I have that quitting was like removing an organ. I am actually afraid to quit again given my past history with it. The Dr's told me to just cut back to half a pack. 2 are ER Doc and said they see perfectly healthy young people quit smoking and within 2 to 3 months they are in the ER with heart attacks or strokes and they no longer are advising cold turkey.
All that being said I am not advocating smoking for anyone but I do believe that my body has adjusted to it for so long that taking it completely away is too much of a shock. So maybe try cutting back and get your BS in line again. It is extremely hard to quit and I commend you for it but maybe there is a happy medium at least for now. Running high BS is not any healthier. Maybe allow yourself one an hour for two weeks then move it to an hour and 15 min etc. Less is better and none might be too much.
I can't imagine the responses I am going to get to this post....... Best of luck

Reactions: 12 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251 you won't get any negative responses from me. I am not a believer in cold turkey quitting for those that are heavy smokers and have been for many years. It alters your gut bacteria and plays havoc with other bits, too. I am currently in the process of quitting and doing it slowly. Slowly but surely. I am down to 10 a day now and have no side effects from it. I am not hungry, not craving, and am feeling normal. By next month I aim to be down to 5. I have been keeping my cig pack and lighter out of sight and across the room from where I spend most of my time when in the house, and when I leave the house, I leave the pack behind. If I get an odd craving, I make a cup of tea.

No doubt folk will be along to say the opposite, but what works for one doesn't work for all.

Ally, concentrate on your BS and get back on track. You know from experience how high BS sees you in hospital. You don't want that again.

Reactions: 11 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@Kristin251 you won't get any negative responses from me. I am not a believer in cold turkey quitting for those that are heavy smokers and have been for many years. It alters your gut bacteria and plays havoc with other bits, too. I am currently in the process of quitting and doing it slowly. Slowly but surely. I am down to 10 a day now and have no side effects from it. I am not hungry, not craving, and am feeling normal. By next month I aim to be down to 5. I have been keeping my cig pack and lighter out of sight and across the room from where I spend most of my time when in the house, and when I leave the house, I leave the pack behind. If I get an odd craving, I make a cup of tea.

No doubt folk will be along to say the opposite, but what works for one doesn't work for all.

Ally, concentrate on your BS and get back on track. You know from experience how high BS sees you in hospital. You don't want that again.
bluetit, you are so right, I will try your method.i did enjoy the box of black magic but felt so guilty afterwards, plus I, ve put weight on.

Reactions: Buxtonstill

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ally, have you any more naughty things in your cupboards? Give them away and start afresh. If you felt guilty afterwards it took away all that enjoyment. Be strong. :)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi Ally, just a suggestion here, before you go shopping fill yourself up, if you are hungry you will be tempted to buy the wrong foods, make a list of the good things you were eating and stick to it. Don't wander down 'naughty' isles eg: crisps biscuits sweets ect if you haven't got it in the house you won't be able to eat it. Make a plate of nibbles for the fridge, baby tomatoes, celery sticks cut into short pieces ( these are nice if you fill the groove with pate or philly cheese even peanut butter) cubes of cheese, Aldi do little crackers that are only 3g carbs each, sugar free jelly made in little pots or yogurt pots, cream
Cucumber pieces. These snacks will stop you feeling hungry, they won't raise your BS and won't put weight on. I would get your bloods back in line first then tackle the ciggies, one thing and one step at a time is likely to work better than trying to do several things at once

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
This may seem harsh, but the reality is both my parents died having terrible complications brought on by their lifestyles, they both required an extensive care package, both suffered amputations and many operations my mother was on dialysis was partially sighted and suffered bronchitis alongside her diabetes losing fingers and toes, my father suffered angina and had several heart attacks including strokes and was a double amputee above the knee, both drank, ate and smoked their lives away.
Addiction is something that only the person in question can do it, sadly my parents lived the way they wanted, despite the advice they were always dismissive saying life is for living, having spent time caring and pandering to them, their carefree lives came at a price, they died and suffered, and were a burden to many people around them.

I hope the o/p can get back on track, I wish her well as the alternative possibly could well be all or any of the above.

Reactions: 5 people
P

paula.nolan42

Hi Ally.

I hope your day has improved. I hope you're feeling better. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better, but unfortunately it's not possible because I don't have a magic wand , but I think I'm going to try anyway

You are doing so much all in one go, maybe that's too much. With the smokes, maybe the achievement is to have half of what you normally have in a day. And the goal is the first day. Trying to take on too many huge goals might just be setting yourself up for failure. By making the goals smaller and more achievable then you can make progress and feel better about everything, building up your confidence in your ability to gain control. Celebrate all the small achievement and soon enough you'll be kicking ass.

I agree with some of the previous posters, concentrate on the BGs first.

There are moments I feel like pure *****, and I'm so ****** off with myself for getting into this T2 situation. I badger myself with all the 'whys' (why is food your drug of choice) (why can't you say no) and all the 'what's' (what were you thinking) (what did you think what going to happen) ... I long for a cake or a chocolate bar... At any moment I might just give in and gorge myself... Or have a smoke... It's like living on the edge of a cliff, I might throw myself into the abyss. The only thing that stops me is fear. I don't need to talk about what the fear is.

So the dilemma for me is, carry on as I was and eventually have no way back to health and be miserable. Or sacrifice all the stuff I love (that I'm addicted to) and be miserable now but have control over my body and my health. And you'd think the choice is easy, I choose health !! But no, it's not easy because I want cake ! And I want it like my life depends on it.

So I understand the struggle, I really do. But Ally, chose your health make small achievable changes and you will gain control. Change will happen.

Be strong but be gentle too...

Last edited:

DaveNN

My sugars where 31 yesterday. I know how it feels to be off the rails :( Stay strong x
We all do it (a bottle of Baileys in 1/2 Hr does it to me) from time to time.
What is important is that we do recognise that the rails are there in the first place....

I wish you and all well.

JH2432

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Ally,

In my opinion the important thing is to stop smoking and this is something you have suggested you want to do. It will do wonders for your health even if it might set back your diabetes in the short term.

I was a really heavy smoker from the age of 11 until I packed in last year after 40 years of smoking. I was smoking 40+ cigarettes a day. My breathing is much improved and I do not cough as much as I used to. I used patches to help me stop. Also, I read the book by Alan Carr "Easy way to stop smoking" I found this book really helpful.

I did gain some weight but as my diagnosis with diabetes was 3 months after I stopped smoking, it is difficult to know the cause of the weight gain. I like to blame it on the meds!!

I can honestly say that the best thing you can do for your health is to quit the fags for good. Please get in touch if you feel I could support you with this.

Jacqui

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ally1 . I don't really know you but I saw your post and felt I had to leave this note.
Your worth it!
This hitting out and self harming with chocolates etc.. is not for you.
It sounds like you've convinced yourself your not worth having a healthy carb free or/and cigs free life.
Sit back and ask yourself...can you see yourself thinner, happier and a non-smoker?
Ally you deserve to be happy. Whatever that happiness is for you.
Your beating yourself up about being a smoker but your torturing yourself when your the only one suffering.
Please please be kind to yourself. Stop depriving yourself so the carvings cannot take a hold of you.
Falll in love with yourself again. Your definitely worth it.
Be kind to yourself. Once you love who you are you will treat yourself properly. You know your worth it.
From what I can see as an outsider you are well loved, respected and a lovely person. Start treating yourself as you do others. Please. :)

Reactions: 14 people