Offshore/Onshore Oil and Gas

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

Most of you know I'm in the oil industry. I have currently got a Vantage block meaning I can't travel offshore, and there are huge restrictions on my travel to onshore sites. Pretty rubbish!

As I've now been diagnosed 6 months these are starting to lift as I've proven my ability to control it (currently only onshore). Unfortunately, sites do not allow food or batteries (which my BG kit has) on them. It has been suggested that I could leave them on the biscuit tin (fire proof, blast proof offices) but they can be a 10-15 minute walk away depending on where I am on site. Am I being unreasonable in saying no? I don't think so but just want a sanity check!

I have a colleague who is T1 for 22 years. He's out of office at the moment, but I'm asking him what he does and what permits are required etc

I know a few others occasionally drop on asking about the industry, so I thought I would post any findings on here. They will be BP specific, but I imagine other assets will have similar requirements!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
whompa73 said:
Vantage block?

It means I've failed my medical. To travel offshore you require a vantage card, but when mine is scanned it will say I'm unsafe to travel

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hale710 :)

This a difficult one, yet interesting.
There must be some kind of bg kit available for your kind of situation. How do they use torches and phones etc;
I can understand safety regulations, yet upper management should have some kind of answer to solve your problem.

I wish you all the best with this problem and sorry I can't help.

Roy.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They can't use phones. torches, cameras etc have to be under permit to be used. But with a BG meter I can't even walk to the permit office when I arrive on site lol

There is definitely a way around it, I just haven't worked it out yet :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
hale710 said:
They can't use phones. torches, cameras etc have to be under permit to be used. But with a BG meter I can't even walk to the permit office when I arrive on site lol

I remember MichaelDavid uses those test strips which are visually read ? No meter needed. He cuts them up into 5 so very cheap too. They won't replace your regular meter but they are certainly intrinsically safe and may be an alternative whilst off shore. They are pretty accurate at low levels, less so at higher levels but they will serve a purpose.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Redjason2373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi hale,

I work in the oil & gas industry also (Glasgow just now) usually you can get to the permit office without any issues as they are normally located out with the haz area as people will typically carry phones etc to their cabin.

I'm not entirely sure how to get around the problem, can you not get to the permit office once dumping your gear in your sleeping accom. or email the permit team before departing?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Redjason2373 said:
Hi hale,

I work in the oil & gas industry also (Glasgow just now) usually you can get to the permit office without any issues as they are normally located out with the haz area as people will typically carry phones etc to their cabin.

I'm not entirely sure how to get around the problem, can you not get to the permit office once dumping your gear in your sleeping accom. or email the permit team before departing?

Offshore it will be fine as its completely different, but I'm not allowed offshore yet. I'm being considered for placement at one of our onshore terminals. Once you arrive that's it, no batteries

Emailing or calling ahead is the obvious answer, I'm just waiting to hear back on official protocol!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mo1905 said:
hale710 said:

I remember MichaelDavid uses those test strips which are visually read ? No meter needed. He cuts them up into 5 so very cheap too. They won't replace your regular meter but they are certainly intrinsically safe and may be an alternative whilst off shore. They are pretty accurate at low levels, less so at higher levels but they will serve a purpose.

Good idea! I might look into these! Although I think they may be urine dip sticks.... Only reason I need to actually take the meter out of the safe environment is for potential hypos. So no bathrooms for peeing haha

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
No, they are deffo blood test strips. Good luck ! I'm sure you will find a solution that suits your needs and keeps your employers happy. You could PM MichaelDavid for more details as he is a very strong advocate for them.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
So that must also mean electronic watches and hearing aids are banned too? ...sheesh!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hobs said:
So that must also mean electronic watches and hearing aids are banned too? ...sheesh!!

I don't know about heating aids, but you can have watches. I guess it depends on the size of the battery and spark potential

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
As far as I know hearings aids are not classed as 'intrinsically safe' and nor are watches, so I can't undestand how a meter can be rejected.

By the same thought process, static sparking from clean hair could ignite a gas pocket if your shoes insulate you from the 'grounded' metelwork all around you. Everything has a 'spark' potential and that depends on its dilectric strength.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_strength

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hobs said:
As far as I know hearings aids are not classed as 'intrinsically safe' and nor are watches, so I can't undestand how a meter can be rejected.

By the same thought process, static sparking from clean hair could ignite a gas pocket if your shoes insulate you from the 'grounded' metelwork all around you. Everything has a 'spark' potential and that depends on its dilectric strength.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_strength

It's not rejected, I can have one provided I carry a permit and a gas tester on me. My problem is inability to reach the permit office to get the permit as ill already be carrying the meter. There is protocol but no one is realllly sure what it is yet.

It is an extremely dangerous industry, I fully endorse their requirement for my equipment to be checked and a permit issued. I would never want to put my colleagues in any danger. I just wish things were more clear!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
very simple, get someone to go and get the permit for you, bring it back to you in the "safe" office, sign it off and bob's your uncle.

Which terminal by the way? As i've got to go to two of them this year for various reason's.

Now, being serious, if I'm going on site, with the intention of taking photographs as part of an audit, I'm allowed my camera on certain conditions
1) the flash is disabled
2) no battery changes outside safe areas
3) carry a gas meter at all times

Considering the meter I use is not switched on until I insert the strip, and I cannot forsee the need to change a battery on plant, and the low likelhood of a hypo, surely that must be an acceptable risk.

As for the food, that's bloody stupid, would they stop an ashtmatic carrying an inhaler?

By the way, are you in your offices next week, I'm up there Tuesday-weds, fancy a coffee and a chat?