OK, what I'm I meant to stick my ham between???

peps1

RALLY missing ham salad sandwiches!!!!!

Is there some substitute bread, wrap, pita that wont send my BG sky high?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Just have it with some lumps of cheese you don't need bread.

Fraddycat

I agree with the other posters, ham rolled up into tubes is ok all by itself, or as the main constituent of a salad. This time of year you can get nice shredded cabbage salad which is so lovely and crunchy, ham would go well with that. If you really can't survive without bread, there are some low carb recipes on this site, but I don't think I would use them to make a sarnie.

WhitbyJet

Make yourself a very quick low carb bread.

Mix together 1 egg 2tablespoons of ground almonds 2 tablespoons of ground linseeds 1 rounded teaspoon baking powder and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Make sure you really mix well, or you will have bread with scrambled egg in it. Add a little salt and ground spices but that's optional.
Place in a buttered dish suitable for microwave and in the shape and size of a breadroll or breadslice, you know one of those little plastic food storage type containers. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes and leave to cool them slice in half and make up your sandwich.

Cowboyjim

The essence of the agony that is DM T2!

OK, I can drop the cakes and biccies... but sarnies as well! Nooooo!

It is a dilemma... to have or not? Ask your healthcare provider and they likely will say go ahead. You do and then use your meter... argh! (if that is what affects you, we are not identical...) sadly you obviously have the adverse reaction.

This is when you justify your "indulgence" by experiments... heh heh... Not just bread type but quantity... and how long you take to eat it... what is in it... the bread-meat ratio etc...

This could be the treat we are all allowed....

Then do some exercise as "punishment" for your sin!

Meter at the ready and your matrix of results should show you the way! 8)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I found it best to bite the bullet and completely stop buying bread and replace it with Hovis Crackers or some other low carb cracker. Buying food is a habit, we often don't think about what we buy, we bought it last week, we ate it last week so we buy it again this week, we eat it again this week - and so ad infinitum.

Apparently it takes something like 17 days to break a habit and so we have to begin with the habit of BUYING in the first place. I know in the past I've resolved not to buy cakes, but when I got to the supermarket I caved in and gave myself what I thought of as a 'little treat' but really I was giving myself diabetes!

After my diagnosis I had to retrain my brain about 'treats' and develop some avoidance strategies and devise replacements for things I was having to cut out. That's also important when we stop buying something, so we don't feel deprived we need to REPLACE the offending item with something more appropriate, otherwise we find ourselves sneaking back and buying it.

Before I began testing my blood, I SUSPECTED that bread, rice, potatoes and pasta gave me huge spike, but as it was only a suspicion I continued eating them. Silly me. After I started testing and could SEE the results in front of my own eyes I immediately stopped BUYING those items but I REPLACED the bread with low carb crackers, the potatoes, rice and pasta I replaced with slightly more protein and fat in my overall food intake - so I really don't miss them at all, in fact I feel a lot better for not eating them.

Making a sandwich is a habit. Learn a new habit first, then gradually replace the old with the new habit.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes have a ham sandwich but I limit myself to 1slice of burgen bread and put on loads of ham a real doorstep then have my salad with it or try to put the lettuce in the sandwich if it doesnt get too big for my mouth :D
CAROL

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
I make 'lettuce parcels!' with med/large crispy and crunchy lettuce leaves.
Fill them with wafer thin ham, cucumber, sliced up boiled egg, cress, cherry tomatoes too.
Roll them up and enjoy :D
A great munchie meal , you can add cheese , onion, celery, anything - you are fond of to these!
If you have to add a dressing you can do with these...
They are quick and so easy to rustle up too.
Now I have posted this guess what I am having for my tea tonight? :wink:
Anna.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
On the occasions when I am working on site all day, I can manage a sandwich made up of 2 slices of Tesco's Finest Multigrain, thickly buttered, spread with mayonnaise, and then the filling.

The fat in the butter and mayonnaise slows down the conversion of the carbs in the bread into glucose. Also I do more exercise climbing in and out of trenches (I'm an archaeologist), which must help my BG levels.

Really it's a matter of using your meter to find out what you can eat. Some people can manage a wholemeal wrap or pitta bread; some people are okay on Burgen bread; some people can't eat bread at all. I certainly couldn't eat a sandwich every day - my BGs would slowly creep back up to diabetic levels.

A thought - has anyone tried using a Staffordshire oatcake as a wrap? as oats are supposed to spike us less?

Viv 8)

daisy222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mix together 1 egg 2tablespoons of ground almonds 2 tablespoons of ground linseeds 1 rounded teaspoon baking powder and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Make sure you really mix well, or you will have bread with scrambled egg in it. Add a little salt and ground spices but that's optional.
Place in a buttered dish suitable for microwave and in the shape and size of a breadroll or breadslice, you know one of those little plastic food storage type containers. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes and leave to cool them slice in half and make up your sandwich.

Thank you Whitby Jet for this delicious recipe, I made it in less then 5 minutes, and couldn't wait for it to cool down. Ate it sliced with butter, yum :clap:

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my dinner. Hot sausage and chorizo slices wrapped in a large Chinese lettuce leaf.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Bacon. You should put your ham between two slices of bacon.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
borofergie said:
Bacon. You should put your ham between two slices of bacon.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: choked myself laughing at that one boro. :lol:

Cowboyjim

Apparently it takes something like 17 days to break a habit

Argh that is too long....

I have only so much willpower.... there are non-DM habits I would like to break so maybe I shall experiment to see if the craving for those things goes off. Shall for example leave off posting on the forum for three weeks... hah hah 8)

I doubt some people could last 17 minutes without texting or FB'ing etc....

Seriously.... bread is the staff of life or some such isn't it? What in heaven's name is going on? It is quick and easy for busy people to create what is supposed to give us a good combo of nutrition and energy in one convenient package.

When I was in the US the sarnies they had were I thought then horrendous. Must have been about a millimetre or two of rye and about a foot of pastrami... now it seems that is a better sarnie for me! The world and my body especially have gone mad it seems. 8)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
peps1 said:
RALLY missing ham salad sandwiches!!!!!

Is there some substitute bread, wrap, pita that wont send my BG sky high?

Yesterday I was faced with a similar problem. I had some slices of crumbed ham so I put three of them on a plate, topped them with leafy salad from a plastic bag of them I got from Tesco and then I rolled the ham into a tube but round the leafy salad. It worked very well I thought.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some more slices of ham in the fridge so this evening I wrapped a stick of celery in the ham. Crunchy ham and it was very nice. In fact I keep getting the feeling that I would like seconds.

One of my nephews came home from school and told his Mum that he had secs. at lunch today. She must have misunderstood and it took a long time for her to calm down.

Klang180

Er bread, this is the non low-carb forum after all. As long as you cover it with the appropriate amount of insulin then you are fine.