old ideas live on....

gbswales

I went for my annual check at the hospital today and was reasonably happy with all the people I saw until the diteician had her turn. Her badge proudly proclaimed "student dietician" so I thought "good someone with new ideas and a mind eager to learn about new things" - how wrong I was - from the first shocked look when I mentioned "low-carb" and for the next 15 minutes all she seemed to do was insist that I was wrong and that I should have a healthy balance including plenty of starchy carbohydrates. She waved the "healthy plate" at me and warned of eating too much protein and fats......I think if she could have produced a plate of mash and forced me to eat it she would have done.

Fortunately my final meet was with the diabetic nurse who clearly agreed with my overall view of dieticians. It seems like the new generation of dieticians are still being given the same mantra to preach. Next time I shall refuse to see the dietician as I have better things to do with my time than argue with a closed mind!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That'a it! the "indigo in the rainbow phenomenon. It's not there, but the book says it is, so it must be
Hana

mikey

The most annoying part of all this is that they don't let the facts get in the way of a good lecture.
Your urine sample results are good.
Your A1c has improved again.
Your lipids are excellent.
Your blood pressure has improved.
Conclusion: You are doing it all wrong! :?

You are quite right, it is a complete waste of your time.

Mike.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
UPB
If you look at a rainbow, you won't actually see both blue and indigo. I can see blue, but NOT indigo, which is the colour of blue jeans.
Isaac Newton was fascinated by magic. He did a lot of investigating into the subject. When the colours of the spectrum were named, If they had remained at 6, which is a BAD number magically, he would have seen that as inauspicious, thus by slipping in indigo as a name, he corrected the spectrum in terms of magic. 7 being one of the BEST magic numbers.
Ironically Mathematically however, 6 is a perfect number.ie the sum of its factors is the same as the result of multiplying them.
Of course you cannot actually list the colours of the whole white light spectrum, since each colour shades into the next.

Useless Pretty Boy

Um..... ooooooooookay. If you say so. :roll:

I'd like to point out that all three of my cousins on my mother's side are colour blind, but they don't go around denying that there is a difference between red and green. You can't see indigo, that's fine, but don't call everyone who is able to see it a liar.

Perhaps a similar piece of advice for your somewhat militant opinion on what guidelines the NHS and dieticians should be putting forward?

Perhaps?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
UPB, you misunderstood me,
I have perfect colour vision( tested) and , I can see indigo if it's there. I simply can't see the indigo that isn't in the rainbow.
I also know a fair bit about the physics and biology of colour vision.
Red/green colour blind people don't confuse those 2 ranges of colour, they perceive both as grey. If they call red "green". It's because they've guessed wrong.
Perception of colour is down to a complex interaction between the wave energy of light and the mammalian eye's colour detection system, which is one of these counter intuitive things. Fascinating nevertheless!
Hana
PS I don't say anyone is lying, just that we tend to see what we expect to see.
Google yourself a white light spectrum and look at it with an open mind(and eyes :D )

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Two scientist's answer to a 12 year old.(official US government site so must be looked at with sceptism)
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99513.htm

Question - Is indigo really a color in the rainbow?
------------------------------------------------
Yes, Sean, it is. But it is a color that the human eye is not very
sensitive to so we do not see it very well. It's frequency is between
blue and violet, both of which we see better.

Larry Krengel
=========================================================

No. Although all the blues in a rainbow do contain some red, there is
no place in the rainbow where a deep enough blue combine with enough
red to make indigo. But isn't ROYGIV easier to pronounce than ROYGBV?

Tim Mooney
I suppose it is a bit like the arguments about the value of carbs in the diet :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I don't understand all this fuss about Indigo and Rainbow's....... :?

We should just go by the 7 colors the Russians use, then we wouldn't have to worry about indigo: красный, оранжевый, желтый, зеленый, голубой, синий, фиолетовый.

With the nifty mnemonic: Каждый охотник желает знать, где сидит фазан. For those illiterate in Russian, the colors are the same, and in the same order, except for 2 shades of blue (голубой and синий) and no indigo.

The mnemonic translates as "Every hunter wishes to know where sits the pheasant." :wink:

Useless Pretty Boy

hanadr said:
UPB, you misunderstood me,
I have perfect colour vision( tested) and , I can see indigo if it's there. I simply can't see the indigo that isn't in the rainbow.
I also know a fair bit about the physics and biology of colour vision.
Red/green colour blind people don't confuse those 2 ranges of colour, they perceive both as grey. If they call red "green". It's because they've guessed wrong.
Perception of colour is down to a complex interaction between the wave energy of light and the mammalian eye's colour detection system, which is one of these counter intuitive things. Fascinating nevertheless!
Hana
PS I don't say anyone is lying, just that we tend to see what we expect to see.
Google yourself a white light spectrum and look at it with an open mind(and eyes :D )
Sigh. I don't know why I'm even replying to this. I must be a glutton for punishment for internetters in search of vindication.

Elcetromagnetic%20spectrum.jpg

Indigo. Second colour through from the left. Narrow, yes. But then so is orange. Especially when both are compared to our ability to see into the red spectrum.

And I didn't say my cousins get red and green mixed up, or mistake one for the other. I can't see why you would imply that I did say that, unless it were to further 'school' me and score a few 'authoritative voice' points. Sigh.

But isn't that what this place is all about: 'point scoring'? It's like an episode of Jeremy Kyle around here.

On the original topic of this young trainee. Perhaps they are open to new ideas... but that doesn't automatically mean they'll immediately reject what's in textbooks and has a few decades of evidence to back it up. 'New' doesn't always equal 'correct' or 'better than old ones'. Maybe they've just not seen anything to convince them that high fat is in any way healthy. Does anyone here ever stop and ask themselves why a medical student should believe you over every single one of their textbooks and teachers? No one here has the range of experience that the experts do.Yet the general idea seems to be that medic students should just throw out their textbooks and listen to you? Why?

Why am I here? ime to leave. :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
UPB
I was trained in science and the whole thing was to learn to question and to look for corroborating evidence.
I don't accept things just becausse they are in books. If we all did, we'd still believe in phlogiston and the Earth Centred Solar system.
I'm sure if you look, you'll find stuff in books that is wrong and followed without question.
However "there's none so blind as will not see"
Hana