Old woman newly diagnosed in the US

Simchicky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 47 years old and was diagnosed with T1D about 6 weeks ago. My now 9 yo daughter was diagnosed 3 years ago. Looking to connect so I can better empower myself so I can use this new ****** diagnosis to help her navigate her life as she grows older

Reactions: JAT1 and SaskiaKC

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’m 47 years old and was diagnosed with T1D about 6 weeks ago. My now 9 yo daughter was diagnosed 3 years ago. Looking to connect so I can better empower myself so I can use this new ****** diagnosis to help her navigate her life as she grows older

Welcome to the forums, and I'm sorry you've joined the club no one wants to join.

Are you on insulin yet? (Some LADA T1s manage a long homneymoon period where they can manage without insulin, particularly if they low carb.)

And I'm guessing that if your daughter is T1 you already know how to carb count and do blood tests etc, but will have to learn how your own body reacts to insulin, carbs, exercise etc etc.

If you are in the US then you'll be using mg/dL units to measure your blood sugar, where many/most of the forumites are using mmol/L. Just multiply the mmol/L result by 18 to get a result that makes sense to you, or use the link below.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

There is some awesome diabetes technology around if you or your health insurance can pay for it eg cgms (dexcom/libre).

Feel free to ask any questions you like and someone will be happy to answer (within forum rules, eg we can't diagnose or give specific dosing instructions.)

I was diagnosed when I was 8 and my T1 mother was a great help to me. :)

Have a virtual hug from New Zealand.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are old, I am proterozoic (along with some other dinosaurs on here!). You are not old. You are just a bit more mature than you used to be.

Good luck to you and your daughter with your journey.
There's plenty of help on here.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed at 51, six months ago, so if you're old....:arghh:

This forum has been a godsend, so hopefully you and your daughter will get lots of really great info and help too.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Welcome to the forum :)

You're not old at all, I am older than you and still acting like a teenager !!!

Shout for anything you need - a wealth of experience here :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I was older when I was diagnosed...

Welcome to the forums! Hope you find some helpful connections!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome, @Simchicky, and greetings from a fellow American.

I am old enough to be your mother! :)

Last edited: