1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Omnipod DASH

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Sideburnt, Jan 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sideburnt

Sideburnt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I noticed that the UK myomnipod site is now marketing the Omnipod DASH pump, has anyone switched or know anything about UK availability?

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ElkBond

ElkBond Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am scheduled to get a DASH upgrade mid Jan. So it must be available now in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

just a heads up on Dash -- it doesn't have a built in blood testing meter , so an additional meter will need to be carried

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sideburnt

So are you based in London?. That's the only borough that I've seen anything on about availability.

6. ElkBond

Nope, Wales

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

south or mid or north ??

i'm north !!

8. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am currently going through the process of moving onto a pump. I attended a session on the various pumps on offer locally. The omnipod dash is one of them. The handset looks very much a mobile phone. It looks like a mobile. Indi locally starting pumping from this month will be starting on it. Not sure if people already using the omnipod locally will be changing onto the new system.

Hope this is of some help

9. ElkBond

South!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Binary

Binary Parent · Well-Known Member

I would be really interested in your feedback on the Dash. I am going to ask about the chances of upgrading the PDM at my sons next clinic appointment in March. He has been on the Omnipod for just short of five years now.

Hoping for some additional features such as more then 7 basal settings.

11. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Same - my clinic said they were happy to leave me on the old ones so I could continue looping, as it’s not compatible with Dash.

12. ElkBond

I don’t loop at the moment, I kind of want to but as I’ve been offered the DASH and I am happy with my HBA I will go for it. Maybe one of the looping things will figure out theDash pods in the future. Especially as the US are getting the official loop releases (Tidepool and Horizon). No uk release in sight.

13. ElkBond

I think it’s just a improved PDM (basically a small cheap android phone - locked down) with additional food library.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Binary

Binary Parent · Well-Known Member

Ok, touchscreen keyboard would be nice, certainly more likely to set up meals as we found the current PDM to slow to type with.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sideburnt

So, going by my enquiries all users of the current system need to see out the 4 year warranty period before they can switch to the DASH. There is a plan for people to purchase the new DASH handset themselves via Insulet and then bypass this restriction but they do not know the cost of this. I'd imagine it to be in the hundreds seeing as it's a locked down Samsung phone.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Medusa41

Medusa41 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Following this as hoping to go on this from summer. My DSN isn’t keen but it is available where I am. Thanks

17. ElkBond

Get ready, its a £49.99 Nuu A1+. Kinda ideal tbh. Its not going to be slick as a Samsung but it should be overkill for running the app.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ElkBond

@Sideburnt Ok so not sure about early upgrading, but out of pocket replacements of PDMs are between 300-400. Ouch for a base 49.99 phone. I understand it would always be higher cost as the phone has to have mods and CFW put on it but that does seem steep. I would like to know how they worked out this markup. One thing is that is still miles cheaper than other out of pocket pumps that seem to be 1K plus. Step in the right direction in a roundabout way.

19. WendyC

WendyC Type 1 · Newbie

I'm due to get my pump replaced and after talking to my team have decided to go for the Dash. Does anybody know if there is a blood glucose meter included or will that need to be pur based separately?

20. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

You’ll need to use a separate meter as the Dash control unit doesn’t have one built in like the Omnipod Eros PDM does.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook