Omnipod

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone! I have been looking into getting a pump- for the second time. My main reason for looking at Omnipod is because it's wireless, can people tell me their advice/opinion/experience?!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it suits me for the fact it is wireless -- it is very good for settings changes
it is a pretty much fixed pattern of change -- it lasts 3 days max ( programmed into the pod )
resevoir is 200u max so not as brilliant for high dose users ( IMHO )

Reactions: 4 people

onthegow

Ive been on omnipod for 1 month now. Best thing I ever did. I had a little issue. But even with that I have not changed my viewpoint. What would you like to know.

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been on omnipod for 1 month now. Best thing I ever did. I had a little issue. But even with that I have not changed my viewpoint. What would you like to know.

I just wondered people's opinions and how they found it without a wire! Seems like a good pump, I wanted to ask about the pump to see if anyone has had a problem with it?! X

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been looking into this and want to try it out. I was on the pump a few years back but it didn't help much but I think that was down to me not taking the illness seriously and not constantly delivering my insulin. But I have heard good things about this pump.

Reactions: 2 people

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi @Meghalton
I've been looking at the Omnipod too. I've not tried a pump before as all the ones my DSN has shown me haven't looked great. But the pod looks like it could be easy to work with.
I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it if you do decide on getting it :) x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Been using the Omnipod for just over a year, it's an excellent pump and would highly recommend it.

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been looking into this and want to try it out. I was on the pump a few years back but it didn't help much but I think that was down to me not taking the illness seriously and not constantly delivering my insulin. But I have heard good things about this pump.
I think I was similar to how you are describing, not that I didn't take the illness seriously but I was not mentally fit to use it!! I am looking forward to seeing what they have to say tomorrow about the pump. I just hope they will be good support. I haven't even been to the hospital here before, so I hope thy are a good team! Shall tell you how I get in /

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Meghalton
I've been looking at the Omnipod too. I've not tried a pump before as all the ones my DSN has shown me haven't looked great. But the pod looks like it could be easy to work with.
I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it if you do decide on getting it :) x
Yeah I will let you know how it goes! I'm hoping it's going to be the right thing for me. When I use to have a pump the wire always got caught and it just didn't work with someone so clumsy! How old are you? If you don't mind me asking and how long have you been diabetic? Xxx

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi @Meghalton
That's exactly what has put me off a pump in the past. I am super clumsy lol & I just know I would get it caught & ripped out constantly!
I am 28 & I have been a diabetic for 21 years now.
What about yourself? :) xx

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SamFergusson

Yep it was a nightmare with a wire- getting caught on door handles and the pump falling out of the bed and the wire getting pulled out! Hhaha. Random!!
I am 25 and have been diabetic for 17 years. You beat me!
I'm guna see the hospital tomorrow and I hope that they are knowledgable about pumps, the omnipod looks promising!! Where abouts do you live?! I live in Taunton xx

LuisC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone! I have been looking into getting a pump- for the second time. My main reason for looking at Omnipod is because it's wireless, can people tell me their advice/opinion/experience?!
Hey there, I have been using the omnipod for longer than 2 years. When I had to choose I also had to do my research to see if this pump was suitable for me and it is. Next I will try so summarize what I think it is important to go for this pump.
CONS:
- needs of < 200 units of insulin for 3 days (this depends on the diet as well so it is a bit tricky)
- Do not make use of saunas or such hot environment often (because you "cannot" take the pump off when you want "only" after 3 days (or 3 days + 8 hours))
- Could be cumbersome for some people in intimate environments (your partner shall be aware of it to avoid tearing it off)
- If the pod brakes (usually software problems) you always need one with you just in case (so far in 2 years I had 5 pods problems) Nothing that changing it can't solve it.
- PDM (mobile shape interface) a little thick (2 x iphone6 thickness)
- having to carry with me the insulin bottle just in case the pod brakes
- Beeps!!! the pod and the PDM make beeps to warn you about events/expiration times. Can be uncomfortable while giving a speech but for me it is ok during daily life.
- it is not 2 in 1 CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) and insulin pump like other devices out there (hopefully they update it soon)
- you might FORGET the PDM at home (then you might have troubles!! so think twice if you have the tendency to forget you insulin pens or such things) However I have been doing the groceries for 1.5h without the PDM with no problems (but it is a risk) (I have forgotten the PDM once so... no eating...) The pod keeps injecting the basal.
PROS:
- water proof (I swim more than 1 h with it with no sticking issues)
- multi place to put on (my favorite spot is on my back (sides of lumbar area) I almost forget about it)
- Blood test integrated in the pump (so no need of 2 devices if you don't want to)
- no catheter!!! so no troubles going to the toilet nor getting jammed with fixed objects/fingers
- no air bubbles/insulin jams because of no catheter
- You can hide it if you (males) put it under swimming trunks at the beach (if you really care of what people think) (I don't :)). For females with bikini that is not possible. However you could place it at the triceps area (arm) and cover it with kinesis tape for example.
- I have practice volleyball, triathlons, soccer with it and no problems (specially in sports like volleyball could be tricky but I had no issues)

For now I think this is a decent summary. I personally went for it directly from pen treatment and I am very happy. Much more eating flexibility (times) and lots of insulin micromanage to nail the insulin need depending on physical activity, sickness, stress...

I wish you good luck with your decision and do not hesitate to ask any question about it!

Cheers,

LuisC

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

How did you get the pump in the first place if you don't mind me asking...?

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did you get the pump in the first place if you don't mind me asking...?
No not at all :) I was offered it by my diabetic team back in Bedford, it was new to the hospital and I was given the opportunity in the hopes of bring my HbA1c levels down. Am sure you can request to switch when you next see your diabetic nurse, I still have the pump but am back on pens now.

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I was similar to how you are describing, not that I didn't take the illness seriously but I was not mentally fit to use it!! I am looking forward to seeing what they have to say tomorrow about the pump. I just hope they will be good support. I haven't even been to the hospital here before, so I hope thy are a good team! Shall tell you how I get in /
Please do, am new to the London hospital system and am still trying to sort everything out over here, but they are a much better support team than Bedford, they don't make me feel like a failure and actually help me move forward which is what I defiantly need. Looking back on it now, the pump is just easier when it comes to everyday use, when I need to inject I have to leave my lectures/seminars and go to the toilet now and its just a hassle!!

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please do, am new to the London hospital system and am still trying to sort everything out over here, but they are a much better support team than Bedford, they don't make me feel like a failure and actually help me move forward which is what I defiantly need. Looking back on it now, the pump is just easier when it comes to everyday use, when I need to inject I have to leave my lectures/seminars and go to the toilet now and its just a hassle!!

Interesting how you leave your lectures. Don't feel embarrassed, I know it's hard though.
Well I went to hospital and the consultant I saw was no good. He told me how I wouldn't be able to have pump as they don't support adults. He said that is was a lot more expensive and they find it difficult to fund. He also told me I'm out of date. And even when he looked at my blood sugar levels he did I was a bit high, but didn't actually help me to change that. No help why so ever. He left me feeling hopeless x

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting how you leave your lectures. Don't feel embarrassed, I know it's hard though.
Well I went to hospital and the consultant I saw was no good. He told me how I wouldn't be able to have pump as they don't support adults. He said that is was a lot more expensive and they find it difficult to fund. He also told me I'm out of date. And even when he looked at my blood sugar levels he did I was a bit high, but didn't actually help me to change that. No help why so ever. He left me feeling hopeless x
Yeah am trying, am getting better at it, like I'll check my levels in the lectures just no do my injections that's why I want to go back on the pump because I feel like it will be much easier. Am shocked that they wont let you go on the pump even when your long term check is high. Their job is to try and find ways to bring it down regardless of whether your an adult or not. What hospital are you registered at if you don't mind me asking? I've spoken to my mum and she says that I should ask my team in Bedford and see what they say before moving hospitals but I feel like the support in Bedford is just not there at all, they make me feel hopeless too. My advice to you would be to try change hospitals and get a second opinion because you shouldn't be refused medical treatment that can change your health for the better x

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah am trying, am getting better at it, like I'll check my levels in the lectures just no do my injections that's why I want to go back on the pump because I feel like it will be much easier. Am shocked that they wont let you go on the pump even when your long term check is high. Their job is to try and find ways to bring it down regardless of whether your an adult or not. What hospital are you registered at if you don't mind me asking? I've spoken to my mum and she says that I should ask my team in Bedford and see what they say before moving hospitals but I feel like the support in Bedford is just not there at all, they make me feel hopeless too. My advice to you would be to try change hospitals and get a second opinion because you shouldn't be refused medical treatment that can change your health for the better x

I have to be honest though I am the same. I just started a new job and I feel unconfident doing injections in front of them! It's hard isn't it?! My partner doesn't understand why I feel like this but I just say to him "you wouldn't understand, it's a diabetic thing" haha.

I actually managed to find a nurse help me sort out my current situation. It took me ages to track down someone that I would be able to talk to, I was feeling like no one would ever listen to me. But now I think I've got my own DSN and I have split my long term insulin...... Which is difficult as having just started this job I'm finding that I've changed a lot of things in my life so am struggling! But I will get there. At least I found someone who could help me, thanks d I stayed motivated to do something about my diabetes! Xx

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to be honest though I am the same. I just started a new job and I feel unconfident doing injections in front of them! It's hard isn't it?! My partner doesn't understand why I feel like this but I just say to him "you wouldn't understand, it's a diabetic thing" haha.

I actually managed to find a nurse help me sort out my current situation. It took me ages to track down someone that I would be able to talk to, I was feeling like no one would ever listen to me. But now I think I've got my own DSN and I have split my long term insulin...... Which is difficult as having just started this job I'm finding that I've changed a lot of things in my life so am struggling! But I will get there. At least I found someone who could help me, thanks d I stayed motivated to do something about my diabetes! Xx
That's great news!!! am due for a check up on Friday so ill let you know what they say :D not looking forward to it though because I know I'll be over 13% but I've only had normal levels for a week so I cant expect a miracle but hopefully when they see me again in a months time it will change significantly; fingers crossed. I've been having quite a few lows though and its worrying because I get the symptoms of being low even when my levels are fine which is kind of annoying, I'll see what my nurse says about that but some say its because my body isn't used to having normal sugar levels which is understandable. Am just glad am getting it all under control and receiving the help I desperately needed!! xxx