One day I will learn

Elc1112

Against all my better judgement, I have signed up to RideLondon-Surrey 100 bike race for next year. Those of you who don't know it, it's a 100 mile bike ride around London and Surrey. Some pretty brutal hills thrown in for good luck.

I cycle regularly anyway and can already cycle 75 miles fairly easily. Perhaps 'easily' isn't the right word, come to think of it! The challenge for me is going to be the hills.

Anyway, I have started training already and am going to be setting myself a target time to finish the race. When I go cycling normally I will always take Lucozade, dextrose tablets and so on. I also usually take a couple of breaks so that I can test my sugars, have a quick snack and so on.

For the race, I really just want to be able to go for it. This means cutting down on the breaks wherever possible. Obviously I will still need some stops so my sugars don't crash etc.

Just wondering if there are any other crazy people out there who decide to sign themselves up for long cycle or running it whatever events? What do you tend to do with regards to avoiding hypos/keeping your sugar levels in check? I've done the London to Brighton a few times now and always managed fine. As I said, I want to try and finish the 100 miles as quickly as possible so I am after tips or suggestions as to how I can do this while still managing my sugars and not taking too many breaks.

Thanks in advance,
Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App