One for the ladies...

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi girls,

Have any of you noticed an increase in your sugars or different insulin requirements when taking the contraceptive pill?
I've been on it for about 3 months, initially my sugars were running higher but they seem to have settled now so I don't know if it was just too much extra hormones for my body initially? What do you think?

LittleWolf

I'm not sure because I only started testing after taking the pill, but I had SEVERE episodes of nausea, confusion , dizziness so bad I could not get up off the floor for HOURS at a time, dry mouth, skewed vision and I was irritable as hell, generally feeling like I wanted to die. Doesnt sound far off the symptoms of high/low blood sugar. This happened many times in the first couple of months and still happens from time to time. I'm so incapacitated at those times I haven't been able to test... But for those with PCOS for example taking the pill for that who also have BG issues in particular, I think it's important someone establishes whether there's a link. Still racking my brains thinking back to episodes trying to work out whether it was just the pill, hyperglycemia, reactive hypoglycemia (you want to take the pill with food) or what @_@

Anyone able to she some light on this??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to take the pill but changed to the implant about 16 months ago. It's amazing! I was only diagnosed a couple of months ago so I can't comment on the BG affect, but I know that I used to get a mixture of migraines and severe headaches on the pill due to the level of hormone. The implant is a lot gentler and releases smaller amounts.

I would suspect the hormone level may be having and effect as it is so high. But I couldn't say for Sure!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I took the pill when I first got married almost 40 years ago thinking it was the answer to family planning.

I started off with nausea which lasted all day long, that progressed to severe migraines, weight gain and when I went to give blood I was lying there for ages and people were coming and going. I called the nurse and asked her why my bag wasn't filling up as quickly as everyone elses. She checked my time of arrival, checked the bag and told me I had 'sticky blood'. Then she asked if I was on the pill and when I said I was she told me to see my GP about coming off it ASAP because my blood was clotting.

My sister had had the same problem before me when she was on the pill. She'd had a pulmonary embolism so had to come off it too. However, none of that swayed my GP who said the pill was safe, which it might be ... for people without a tendency to sticky blood.

Personally, I'm not keen on anything that alters the body's natural hormone balance because we don't know enough about how messing about with one hormone can affect all the other hormones the body produces, including insulin. Maybe the introduction of the pill has something to do with the number of diabetics we have today?

lynde89

I was very ill the first time I got put on the pill, turned out the pill I was put on wasn't any good for diabetics (the Dr forgot I was diabetic when he prescribed it......). The pill I was put in after that was cerazette, & I've been fine with it, don't even have to deal with the usual dramas of being a woman (I can't remember my last period, it was over a year ago, do occasionally get some cramps but still rare & not once month!).

It might be worth seeing if you can get on a new pill? Hope this helps.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Blimey ladies, some scary stories here. I really hope your all ok now and sorted.
It's incredible how big of an effect something so small can have on our bodies.

Sadly it's not through choice being back on the pill. I came off it years ago as there was no need any more as my partner and I want to start a family anyway once we're married (12 weeks to go yeey!) but I've not had a period for nearly a year - probably due to new diet/weight loss and exercise regime. My gynaecologist wanted to check my uterus was actually shedding so made me go on microgynan 30 for a few months. My next appointment with her is at the end of June so I think I'll ask to come off it then as it's affecting sugars (possibly :crazy: )

thank you so much for sharing your experiences though ladies.

Personally, I'm not keen on anything that alters the body's natural hormone balance because we don't know enough about how messing about with one hormone can affect all the other hormones the body produces, including insulin. Maybe the introduction of the pill has something to do with the number of diabetics we have today?

Very vaild point GraceK - never thought about that before.

LittleWolf - are you off the pill now then or still on it? I hope you get settled, new pill maybe?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Faith* said:
Blimey ladies, some scary stories here. I really hope your all ok now and sorted.
It's incredible how big of an effect something so small can have on our bodies.

Sadly it's not through choice being back on the pill. I came off it years ago as there was no need any more as my partner and I want to start a family anyway once we're married (12 weeks to go yeey!) but I've not had a period for nearly a year - probably due to new diet/weight loss and exercise regime. My gynaecologist wanted to check my uterus was actually shedding so made me go on microgynan 30 for a few months. My next appointment with her is at the end of June so I think I'll ask to come off it then as it's affecting sugars (possibly :crazy: )

thank you so much for sharing your experiences though ladies.

Very vaild point GraceK - never thought about that before.

LittleWolf - are you off the pill now then or still on it? I hope you get settled, new pill maybe?

I did NOT like microgynon. I was quite a fan of Marvelon though. It gave me the least side effects!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spoke to a few doctors about the pill over the years and none would give it tp me as I have diabetes amd smoke which is a double chance of developing
a clot

Faith*

Dislikes
Thundercat said:
Spoke to a few doctors about the pill over the years and none would give it tp me as I have diabetes amd smoke which is a double chance of developing
a clot

Oh no! Did you have to find an alternative i.e. implant? I've a lot of friends who smoke who have it but I guess they don't have our dreaded diabetes.
2 months to go and hopefully I can go back to my own hormones :lol:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried vaping?
That's for the smoking, not the contraception:lol:

LittleWolf

I hate vaporising. It's so harsh and I don't like the high so much, plus it's all cerebral, when I go for cannabis for its analgesic effect on the BODY.

I am still on the pill. I always feel a bit nauseous after taking it but not like that. I wanted to be shot, It made me so ill. Thanks for the concern, though. I just have to be careful when I take it.