One of the lucky ones

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like many on this forum the diagnosis of T2D came as a huge shock to me. I still remember sitting in my car outside the doctor's surgery feeling like I had been hit by a train. I had no idea what to do, where to go or what would happen next. All I could think was that a few years ago a very dear friend with T1D had died. Was this going to happen to me?

Two life changing events happened that helped me face my future. Firstly, I found this forum and it was (and continues to be) a source of information that helps me face a healthier future. Second (although she will always be first), my wife spent hours reading diabetes websites learning about what to feed me. It was her tenacity and dedication that actually led me to this forum. Since those first days she had spent hours in the kitchen cooking me low carb seed bars, astonishing soups, casseroles, lentil loaves, low carb muffins ... oh I could go on and on. In short, I have been spoiled rotten by a brilliant and dedicated wife.

And the result? Well, in part the jury is still out because I have yet to have my first post-diagnosis HbA1c. However, since she took the helm of my diet, I have lost almost 2.5 stone and, none of my BG readings have gone over 8.0. in fact, I am really hopefully that my next blood test will indicate a delicious shift to pre-diabetes.

So this thread is quite simply a chance to publicly thank her for all she has done and continues to do. So what about it guys? How about a thread to applaud the hard work of our partners - I bet I'm not the only one.

Reactions: 6 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Like many on this forum the diagnosis of T2D came as a huge shock to me. I still remember sitting in my car outside the doctor's surgery feeling like I had been hit by a train. I had no idea what to do, where to go or what would happen next. All I could think was that a few years ago a very dear friend with T1D had died. Was this going to happen to me?

Two life changing events happened that helped me face my future. Firstly, I found this forum and it was (and continues to be) a source of information that helps me face a healthier future. Second (although she will always be first), my wife spent hours reading diabetes websites learning about what to feed me. It was her tenacity and dedication that actually led me to this forum. Since those first days she had spent hours in the kitchen cooking me low carb seed bars, astonishing soups, casseroles, lentil loaves, low carb muffins ... oh I could go on and on. In short, I have been spoiled rotten by a brilliant and dedicated wife.

And the result? Well, in part the jury is still out because I have yet to have my first post-diagnosis HbA1c. However, since she took the helm of my diet, I have lost almost 2.5 stone and, none of my BG readings have gone over 8.0. in fact, I am really hopefully that my next blood test will indicate a delicious shift to pre-diabetes.

So this thread is quite simply a chance to publicly thank her for all she has done and continues to do. So what about it guys? How about a thread to applaud the hard work of our partners - I bet I'm not the only one.
Well my husband certainly doesn't cook me anything but he is happy to eat whatever I cook and not eat or keep carbs in the house. He makes himself huge serving bowl salads and tops with proteins that I cook. I eat very small meals so he makes his own salads. I cook all the proteins and make all the dressings. He has been far better than loads of partners that's for sure. And he listens to me complain about this nasty disease which give him many pats on the back. I'd rather he do that than cook for me He has been wonderful. Nobody can truly understand this nasty disease without living it but having your partner by your side, walking next to you is worth it's weight in gold. He's a real trouper and my soul mate. I'm lucky to have found him.

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

What a lovely accolade and I am sure thoroughly well deserved:)

About time us fellas started wearing our heart on our sleeves a bit more when it comes to honouring our spouses/partners.

My story is similar to yours... The diagnosis was like being kicked by a horse.... not that I have ever been kicked by one...haha:)

Yvonne, my wife and soulmate of 32 years has been not only a tower of strength, but also kept me lighthearted and humorous through it all.

She's been my champion, listening when I am sure she was bored to death, watched me run and joined me and diligently partnered me at the gym each and every time.

And this is the before and after, largely due to Yvonne's cheerleading. Thanks sweetie x
4957cea71fcc0825880d3d44331db293.jpg

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

2/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

6/6/16: Three BP readings now 112/64 & 112/66, 113/65 :)

Reactions: 2 people

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Agreed that my better half doesn't get the recognition she deserves. While she doesn't prepare all our meals, she's the one that keeps us all on track. Even when I've had a bad week diet wise she doesn't nag or say anything negative. She just tries to point me in the right direction again.

BTW Thanks for the links @Welshman1952. I'm going to give those recipes a go and see what happens.

Reactions: 5 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What a wonderful post @Welshman1952 sounds like you have a wonderful wife who has helped you through difficult times. Relationships are about good and bad - if you survive the bad anything is possible.

I'm blessed to have a great partner. He has helped me through this - his parents and now his daughter are all Doctors so the family know a thing or two. A few years ago I helped him through severe (well very severe) depression, now he is helping me - and even adopting LCHF to lose weight himself.

Here's to all those people who help us diabetics, they may not always understand - but it's wonderful to have them by our side!

Reactions: 7 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
What a lovely accolade and I am sure thoroughly well deserved:)

About time us fellas started wearing our heart on our sleeves a bit more when it comes to honouring our spouses/partners.

My story is similar to yours... The diagnosis was like being kicked by a horse.... not that I have ever been kicked by one...haha:)

Yvonne, my wife and soulmate of 32 years has been not only a tower of strength, but also kept me lighthearted and humorous through it all.

She's been my champion, listening when I am sure she was bored to death, watched me run and joined me and diligently partnered me at the gym each and every time.

And this is the before and after, largely due to Yvonne's cheerleading. Thanks sweetie x
4957cea71fcc0825880d3d44331db293.jpg

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

2/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

6/6/16: Three BP readings now 112/64 & 112/66, 113/65 :)

I agree

I totally agree with the OP too

I adore my wonderful Mrs Cumbs love her to the moon and back

I have 'liked' all posts on here they are all worthy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people