onglyza or saxagliptin

louiseb

I searched the forum but could find any info on this drug. Is anybody else taking this and how has it worked for you? I started taking 5mg per day but its causing me alot of hypos.
what im most concerned about is weight gain by having to comsume extra carbs to treat frequent hypos, has anybody else gained weight taking these tablets?

alaska

Hi Louise

Onglyza is in the 'gliptins' (DDP-4) drugs class.

It works by stimulating insulin release and lowering glucagon, which explains why, in conjunction with a low carb diet, hypos could be an issue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPP-4_inhibitors

It may be useful for your doctor if you note down when the hypos are happening and when you are taking meals.

I see you were on metformin but had some reaction to it. Can I ask how long were you taking metformin for?

louiseb

Thanks for the reply and the link.
I was taking metformin for about 8 months I was just having the usual stomache problems with them that most people have but the as time went on the the reaction to the metformin was getting worse.
I asked my gp for metformin slow realease but he said no and that saxagliptin would be better.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

You may want to Google the web and download the NICE diabetes guidelines for GPs for both the NHS in general and I also found some for my County (Hertforshire NHS). The flowcharts are very useful and make a lot of sense. The gliptin group are treated as a 3rd level regime after Metformin and the sulphonylureas such as gliclazide so it does seem unusual for you to have been put straight onto a gliptin (they are expensive!). I now take Januvia (Sitagliptin) which has worked really well for me over the last few weeks indicating the the DPP-4 scenario works well for me but everyone is different of course.

louiseb

Daibell said:
Hi

You may want to Google the web and download the NICE diabetes guidelines for GPs for both the NHS in general and I also found some for my County (Hertforshire NHS). The flowcharts are very useful and make a lot of sense. The gliptin group are treated as a 3rd level regime after Metformin and the sulphonylureas such as gliclazide so it does seem unusual for you to have been put straight onto a gliptin (they are expensive!). I now take Januvia (Sitagliptin) which has worked really well for me over the last few weeks indicating the the DPP-4 scenario works well for me but everyone is different of course.

I checked that out and seen the flow chart but i also read am article that gps have now been advised to prescibe gliptins as a second line drug.
the thing that confused me the most is that my last hba1c a few months ago was 4.6 or something like it was defiantly in the 4 range, so i think it was abit over the top to prescribe these for me as the 2 metformin was controlling my diabetes very well its just a shame i could not tolerate the metformin very well thast why I wanted the slow realease metformin.
anyway im not taking these gliptins anymore im just going to even more strict with my diet and excercise and will discuss it again with my gp when my diabetic clininc appointment comes round although that is already 3 months overdue :roll:

angelafee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on Onglyza and Metformin. I have much confidence in the Onglyza (saxagliptin). I ran out of the drug for a week, and my sugar went sky high. My insurance may not cover Onglyza now and I am saddened by that. I trust this drug to keep my sugar in check.

Edited to remove link

Last edited by a moderator: