1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Only certain people aloud a pump?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Stephanie.F, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Stephanie.F

Stephanie.F Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is it true that only people who are prone to having hypos are aloud a pump?
    I asked my diabetic Dr about having a pump in the future and he told me that only certain people who have had diabetes for a long time or young children and people prone to hypos are aloud them? Yet my other diabetic Dr said if I wish to change from injecting to a pump I can?

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Well loss of hypo awareness symptoms is certainly one as you have highlighted Stephanie, but there are many more reasons to why pump therapy might be offered.

Over the last year we have had countless members change from MDI to pumps, some have only been diagnosed for a year or two (and have good diabetes control) but still have been offered the chance of a pump to improve their quality of life, only recently I've been provisionally approved myself for a pump due to the fact that I'm having on-going injection site problems, by changing over will mean I will go from injecting up to 15 times over 3 day to inserting a cannula every 3 days, this will help my diabetes control in the long term as it will give my sites time to recover from the relentless needle stick injuries, although I've never really had any issues with the injecting insulin, especially since the arrival of the modern insulin pens and small gauge needles.

#2 noblehead, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  3. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

There are many reasons why someone would qualify for a pump. Certain areas have more funding and it is easier.
    @noblehead, I can't imagine 15 injections in a day !!!! I inject 5 or 6 times at the most.

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

15 over 3 days Dan :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Pumps are very expensive, and as such their availability is limited - if you are doing fine on MDI but wish to have to inject less then you are not going to get one because other people (e.g. Those struggling with severe hypos, or unable to control BG despite the patient's best efforts) need them more.

6. ohitsnicola

ohitsnicola Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nope, I wasn't prone to hypo's but my hba1c was constantly over 100...since being on the pump it is now 58!

7. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm one of those noblehead was talking about :)

My consultant decided I was eligible. My control wasn't poor, but I did get some fairly extreme hypos from exercise (reading of LO on the meter). I was fully aware of these lows and treated all without any help. I am also 25 and getting married in the new year. I hope to have a baby one day in the not tooooo distant future so that was also a factor they considered.

One big factor was my consultant knew I had done my homework, I knew what I needed to do to make the pump work for me and o already kept log books and carb counted as accurately as possible. He knew I would use the pump to its full capacity and for that reason he could support me getting one :)

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook