Only on day 5..

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, quick post but I'm so glad I've gone low carb, only day 5 but already my meter average is down from 7.9 to 6.8, my fasting readings are more consistent, I'm going to bed around 6.5 and waking between 5.9 and 6.5, I haven't had a morning reading lower than 7.1 in 2 years! I've also got a half unit pen,novopen echo 5 which I love for the half units, I'm on an 0.5/1 ratio so very insulin sensitive. I'm on less than 50g carb a day, first 2 days I felt rubbish but feel fine now, just need to browse the recipe section for more ideas! I had a hba1c done last week which I know won't be too good, so I'm hoping my next one will be better :)

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done !! :clap:

I've been doing this for about a month now - much easier to control levels. Average daily carbs 38 - average BG 5.8.
Also treated myself to a Novopen Echo :D

I tried this a couple of times in the past and gave up because it felt like I had flu, but this time I reduced carbs more slowly over the previous month and managed to avoid the feeling rubbish bit.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's incredible how easy it is to get good BGs isn't it? I started a year ago and my diabetes has never been better.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thing is now I don't even miss the chocolate,much as I enjoyed my carb counting course I still find it unbelievable we were encouraged to drink full sugar juice cartons, cereals etc. When I was diagnosed I cut out everything like that, and had a hba1c of 5.9 in October, then I did dafne, my hba1c went right up! It's good that I'm running in the 5s and 6s overnight as opposed to 9s and 10s and sometimes higher! I might have a carby day on Christmas day but other than that I don't miss all the food really :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Good luck, I low carb from time to time, but find it gets really boring after a while and I just start to feel the need to eat 'normal' foods again. I need to get my pregnancy weight off though (2stone :shock: ) so may have to join you.
It does make it ridiculously easy to control bg's, when I did a four month low carb diet I barely even tested and my hba1c was 6.6. I was on 12u lantus a day and nothing else.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anticarb that's my other reason for doing it lol, just had my 3rd baby six weeks ago and I've got 10lbs to go until I'm at my pre pregnancy weight, miss my old clothes! It's nice not having the high and low swings too, testing 5x a day now compared to 10x least my gp will be happy haha