1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Oodles of noodles!

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Kazzieann, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Kazzieann

Kazzieann Type 2 · Member

I love stir fries, prefer noodles to rice but as a recently diagnosed T2, I'm not sure where noodles sit on the low carb diet I'm trying to follow at the moment. Anyone got any suggestions?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Fallgal

Fallgal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. Kazzieann

Kazzieann Type 2 · Member

Thanks for that, will get some in and give them a go

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. Giverny

Giverny Friend · Admin
    Administrator

How severe is the laxative effect? I've been wanting to jump back in to a low carb diet for a while now, and these noodles just sound too good to be true (hoping they're not!)

5. RLightning

RLightning Parent · Active Member

i like hong kong noodles i think they're the best :D

6. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They have exactly the opposite effect on me and bung me up if I eat too many! :wideyed: like the noodles but the rice and pasta feel nasty in my mouth, I only have them occasionally because of the effect on my bowels, I have diverticulitis and being bunged up is the last thing I want.

You need to add lots of flavour to them as they taste of nothing, I use them for spag bol and toss them in garlic butter and lots of black pepper, also good in a stir fry with chicken/prawn and chilli

7. Fallgal

Well I may not be a good judge of that, since I suffer from IBS as well. I had them 2x and was okay, just mild effects. Then another time with a bit stronger effects. Then I had them another time and all hell broke loose!

If they don't upset you, I think they are a great alternative.

8. Tweetypie

Tweetypie Other · Well-Known Member

There is a great book called the low carb gourmet, you can get it on amazon. There is a recipe for squash spaghetti, which I'm sure you could do as noodles too. I haven't tried it yet, but you bake the squash halves in some water for 40mins and then just scrape out the squash with a fork! You can also microwave the squash. I bet this would be lovely with a nice stirfry.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fallgal

Oh wow, I forgot all about spaghetti squash. I haven't done that in years. Must put that on my grocery list. :)

10. Paul_c

Paul_c Type 2 · Well-Known Member

11. Fallgal

That's what the Slim Noodles from Eat Water are made from - konjac. I read a bit about konjac and its slimming-through-laxative properties. ;) Do you find the Shiriaake noodles you use have the same effect?

12. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Konjac noodles have never bunged me up, or loosened me down, at all. No effect whatsoever.

So I guess it must be a very personal thing.

Where do you all buy them?

I got an excellent deal once, on Groupon. Then another time I got a bulk order when Holland and Barrett did one of their BOGOF offers.

I find them offensively expensive, at full price, and won't buy.

13. Fallgal

I get them from H&B, when they have their penny sale. Otherwise, I agree, they are very expensive.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook