Oooh No!

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys. Well I've been a bit quiet since joining but I have read and read and learned a lot but obviously not enough.

I embarked on the LCHF diet at the beginning of the week hoping to avoid the need for meds. Haven't really noticed a major change in my BS readings but averaging 7.6 except for one day after a huge full english breakfast I got a reading of 5.6 and thought I was on the way but no, still averaging 7.6.

Went to a carboot sale today and had to skip breakfast so I had a hot dog without the bun so basically a jumbo sausage wrapped in a serviette ..lol.

Anyway we went on somewhere else after so came back well after lunch time and was starving so had 5 Ryvita with Philadelphia cheese. 2 hours later BS 12.6 - shock horror! That's higher than before I started the LCHF diet. I guess Ryvita isn't as low carb as I thought it was (well not eaten in that quantity anyway).

Feel very disappointed and a bit stupid.

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys. Well I've been a bit quiet since joining but I have read and read and learned a lot but obviously not enough.

I embarked on the LCHF diet at the beginning of the week hoping to avoid the need for meds. Haven't really noticed a major change in my BS readings but averaging 7.6 except for one day after a huge full english breakfast I got a reading of 5.6 and thought I was on the way but no, still averaging 7.6.

Went to a carboot sale today and had to skip breakfast so I had a hot dog without the bun so basically a jumbo sausage wrapped in a serviette ..lol.

Anyway we went on somewhere else after so came back well after lunch time and was starving so had 5 Ryvita with Philadelphia cheese. 2 hours later BS 12.6 - shock horror! That's higher than before I started the LCHF diet. I guess Ryvita isn't as low carb as I thought it was (well not eaten in that quantity anyway).

Feel very disappointed and a bit stupid.
Hey ...first thing you do is stop beating yourself up with that big stick. Put it back in the corner and breathe :) Things don't change overnight. Just take it one step at a time and let things happen at their own speed. It's a long steady journey not one huge race. Little steps will get you there in the end. Don't be so hard on yourself :)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

This is why we test out our foods, so we can learn by trial and error what we can eat. Perhaps next time you dive into the Ryvita box have a look at the nutrition label for "Total carbohydrate" (ignore the "of which sugars"). They are almost 67% carbs. Reading nutrition labels on all packaged food is essential when you are first starting. Perhaps next time try one or two and see what happens. If you still spike high, then they are not for you at the moment. Oh ... and sausages are mostly cereal, so be careful with them. You can get 97% meat sausages in all supermarkets and some butchers for cooking at home.

Don't be hard on yourself. It will take time to learn which foods you can munch to your hearts content, and which you need to limit.

One tip. Sometimes it is best to test just before you go to bed, then do your morning fasting as soon as you get up. This will show you if you are getting an overnight liver dump. (Our livers produce glucose if they think we are in starvation mode as a protection, and this often happens over night. You can read up about this as Dawn Phenomenon) Our morning fastings are usually the last reading to come down.

Worry not, you are doing well.

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the support and encouragement guys xx and for the useful information x

The more I read the more I realise I really don't have a clue. It's a lot to take onboard first off.

My worst problem is I hate cooking and am so used to reaching for the easy option like breakfast cereals, sandwiches and toast and ready meals. I need to shake myself and start cooking some of the delicious sounding meals that I've seen on the forum.

Reactions: 6 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the support and encouragement guys xx and for the useful information x

The more I read the more I realise I really don't have a clue. It's a lot to take onboard first off.

My worst problem is I hate cooking and am so used to reaching for the easy option like breakfast cereals, sandwiches and toast and ready meals. I need to shake myself and start cooking some of the delicious sounding meals that I've seen on the forum.
You will get there don't worry :) A good start would be to forget all of the food you mentioned here....LOW carb remember lol.

Reactions: 3 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will get there don't worry :) A good start would be to forget all of the food you mentioned here....LOW carb remember lol.

Thank you x

Yes, that's what I've done this past week. Not a slice of delicious toast has passed my lips. No cakes, pastries, biscuits or anything on the naughty list. I think that's why I was so upset about my downfall. But I'll get over it .. lol. Onwards and downwards, hopefully, that is weight and BS.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today for lunch, apart from my Lidl roll I had a piece of low carb cheesecake so cakes are not out of the question. I also bake low carb cookies and have one with my coffee about 9.30 in the evening. There are plenty of recipes on the web which are low carb and use sweeteners.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Learn to love eggs and cauliflower in many different guises - I eat A LOT of these!:hungry: