oral hygeine

johnny37

I dont think this is diabetes realated but maybe you posters have some ideas. I have just received the latest e-mailshot from diabetes.co.uk which highlighted the need for oral hygeine. I went into contacts which told me to consult the forum. I do take oral hygeine seiously. I brush my teeth thoroughly with an electric toothbrush after breakfast and after dinner and wash and gargle with mouthwash. despite that I have suffered for years with a nasty tasting coating on my tongue. I have resorted to scraping it with a blunt knife which does not clear it but does reduce it . Even if I treat it before bedtime and scrape it, I wake in the night and still have to wash out with mouthwash and again in the morning.

I am a vegetarian (fish eating) coeliac on a gluten free diet. I have a good diet including lots of fresh fruit and salads. I do eat lots of carbs (all non-gluten). Slim build. Non smoker. Moderate exercise. Three or four glasses of wine week plus the occasional whiskey. I saw the gastoenterologist the other day in relation to my intestinal probs but he did not offer any advice.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like oral thrush to me - even if your Bs is good you can still suffer from thrush - my son isn't diabetic and suffered badly - a quick visit to your chemist will tell you if it is or not - he will reccomend treatment usual some purple stuff to paint on (sorry can't remember the name)

Are you on any meds? - some meds can cause thrush.

My sons dentist advised against mouthwashes as they alter the natural "flora" in the mouth. He also said if you feel you need to use mouthwash don't use it right after cleaning your teeth as it rinses the protective flouride from the toothpaste away - said shouldn't rinse at all with even water just spit!

I keep my sons at bay by giving him live yogourt to eat once a day - with nothing else - this won't work for a bad case but can help if eaten everyday once it has cleared.

Scrapping rhe tongue is a good idea but you need to get yourself a tongue scrapper that's the right tool for the job - you can pick them up cheaply in places like Wilkies etc.

hope that helps

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Johhny,

Definitely looks like an issue you should be discussing with your dentist.

Nigel