Orange juice

arty mary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a newly diagnosed type 2. I've been told that I shouldn't have orange juice but if eating fruit is okay can I make my own by squeezing the oranges?

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi arty mary - welcome to the forum. I'm still trying to ascertain if I'm type 2 or. Not as classed as borderline . So monitoring sensibly and losing weight as was suggested by my doc. I Had a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice on Saturday as I was out and went to a local cafe . I had no massive rise in sugar levels on checking after my evening meal so it seems ok - but I have heard it's maybe something to avoid - others comments would be useful though and I'm also wondering about water melon which is incredibly cheap here in Portugal - very good for u in so many ways but is it another fruit to avoid- so guys what's the verdict please ?? Can u help us both on this issue ? Many thanks .

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a type one I uses 200ml orange or apple juice to treat a hypo - otherwise i avoid it like the plauge!!! the same with most fruit and derived juice its packed full of fructose - Fruit sugar. it doesnt matter where the sugar comes from it will bump up your blood glucose by at least 2 m/mol per 10g of carbohydrate ie approx 4 m/mol rise for 200ml.

Who generally stops at 200ml though?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Yes, fruit juice is not a wise choice because of the high sugar content. We have to be very careful with all fruits. It may be natural sugar, but it is still sugar and will raise your glucose levels. Many of us here stick to berries, and only a few at a time, not a whole punnet!

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
As a type one I uses 200ml orange or apple juice to treat a hypo - otherwise i avoid it like the plauge!!! the same with most fruit and derived juice its packed full of fructose - Fruit sugar. it doesnt matter where the sugar comes from it will bump up your blood glucose by at least 2 m/mol per 10g of carbohydrate ie approx 4 m/mol rise for 200ml.

Same here, I always find orange juice (fresh squeezed or cartoned) good as a standby in hypo situations when lizard or glucose tabs not to hand. Although if I had to hang around squeezing an orange or two whilst having a hypo I would definitely be in trouble!!

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Oooops! That should be lucozade - sorry if I've offended any lizards

Reactions: 5 people

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Ah well that's that then but thank you for replying

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah well that's that then but thank you for replying

Sorry to burst you're bubble, but I really cant stress how high sugar it is. Its the same as full fat coke.

The reason its even worse as a juice is its basically compacted. Would you eat a bag of oranges in one go? probably not but when juiced its easy.

Is that ok? Makes sence and all?

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Yes, fruit juice is not a wise choice because of the high sugar content. We have to be very careful with all fruits. It may be natural sugar, but it is still sugar and will raise your glucose levels. Many of us here stick to berries, and only a few at a time, not a whole punnet!
Thank you - Must admit I could well eat raspberries by the punnet!! But now they are expensive I'm controlling that urge !!! I have found the mixed berries although mostly frozen to be a good substitute with yogurt and yes - not too many!
Hello and welcome.

Yes, fruit juice is not a wise choice because of the high sugar content. We have to be very careful with all fruits. It may be natural sugar, but it is still sugar and will raise your glucose levels. Many of us here stick to berries,

arty mary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks to all who replied to my query. Looks like a I can't use those oranges he bought me after all. I'm still working out what I can eat - no trouble with what I can't - seems like nearly everything!

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to burst you're bubble, but I really cant stress how high sugar it is. Its the same as full fat coke.

The reason its even worse as a juice is its basically compacted. Would you eat a bag of oranges in one go? probably not but when juiced its easy.

Yes thank you - makes perfect sense - so lucky to have found this site .

Is that ok? Makes sence and all?[/QUOTE

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all who replied to my query. Looks like a I can't use those oranges he bought me after all. I'm still working out what I can eat - no trouble with what I can't - seems like nearly everything!
Ooh no - once u get into clearing the fog that surrounds the tedium of establishing what's ok for you and what isn't - you maybe very pleasantly surprised. Try and look around the forum at other folks choices as well as the menus that are posted around. I'm managing the LCHF diet which I learnt about on here and it's working - but I'm not a bread and potato person anyway nor a sweet tooth so not finding it difficult. In fact I'm eating food I love but used to avoid for fear of putting on too much weight. I.e. Cheese etc!,, but of course all things in moderation.
Anyway - good luck - maybe u know someone else who as a non diabetic would really love freshly squeezed orange juice in a cold glass and a couple of ice cubes . !!!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem with fruit juices is that the cells are broken down and the more easily absorbed sugar is released than just eating the pure fruit; also the fibre is lost. So, diabetics are best avoiding fruit juices other than small quantities or occasionally.

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooops! That should be lucozade - sorry if I've offended any lizards
We have a few lizards out here who quite often pop in for a visit before bring removed back to the garden. However u will be pleased to hear that they are not the least bit offended. Just saying !!!!