Ordered carb counting books!

layla42

Hi, just wanted to share I have ordered a carb counting book and have bought some Nutriscales and started to keep track of what my DD eats (she is 3 and is Type 1) - plus what she's been doing (in general, eg sitting still or running round!) and what her blood sugar readings are...

This is all in preparation for either getting a pump or moving to 4 injections a day - either way I will need to carb count so I'm practising. Most of it is simple as my DD is a faddy eater - but yesterday I made pasta with sauce made of tuna, passata, onion, carrot & cheese. She didn't eat all of it. How would I work out the carbs in that?

Here's hoping that Grace's HbA1C starts to come down (last one was 8.4%).

Layla x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Good for you ,layla.The only thing I can think of is to weigh the portion you give her,then weigh the leftovers and subtract to get what she has eaten but I'm not an insulin user so I don't know if that amount of accuracy is required!

layla42

Thank you!

I made it again today - and after lots of complex maths (eg this many g of carrots, at this % carbs, plus this many g passata etc etc....) I worked out that my sauce is 5% carbs (before tuna is added). Then I worked out the weight of pasta in her bowl (and g carbs), weight of tuna (at 0% carbs), weight of sauce (at 5% carbs) etc... used that to work out the g carbs in her bowl and total g food in her bowl... then weighed what was left over at the end... all those sums seemed to say she'd had 12.5g carbs.

Phew!!

I ate the leftovers. Yum. Layla x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Well done you!!You'll be a maths genius by the time she goes to school! :lol: :lol: