Other daughter bg 11.4

donnamum

My other non diabetic daughter has been under weather for 4 weeks. Been back and for docs. Had blood test all ok. She looks painfully thin and very pale. Age 11 and weighs 4 stone so cant afford to lose any more.

Rang NHS direct for advice, told to test bg (5.7) then give lucozade and retest to see what happens. Went up to 11.4. What does that mean??? Rang them back and they said see GP.

If it could be diabetes please dont reply as I will run away and never come back.

DiabeticGeek

The thing about a glucose tolerance test is not so much how far the BG goes up, but how quickly it comes down again. The glucose in lucozade is absorbed extremely quickly (it is mostly in the form of pure glucose, already in solution and the CO2 speeds absorption). This means that it will spike anyone's BG - diabetic or not. In a non-diabetic, the insulin response will cut in after an hour or so and will rapidly restore the BG to the starting point. In a diabetic the BG will possibly rise higher, but more importantly it will stay high for longer. That is why for a formal GTT the delay before taking the second sample is always two hours - that is when the difference between diabetics and non-diabetics is greatest. Also, as Eddie pointed out, other illness can easily make a difference - so it really is impossible to interpret this. Don't panic, but do get your daughter checked out by a doctor. If she isn't diabetic then you need to put your mind at rest, if she is - well it is better off, for everyone's sake, that you find out as soon as possible.

Katharine

Your daughter is very underweight. Feeling rotten is a sign of possible diabetes. The blood sugars were also not absolutely normal. Both types of diabetes are more likely to run in families. Children of type one fathers are more prone to it than children of type one mothers.

Sorry. You need that glucose tolerance test pronto.

The Governor

Donnamum, as Eddie says there can be different readings for high BS outside of diabetes, but at the end of the day it could be.

You need to get her tested and see what's what, you know it's the only way to sort it, and judging by your past history I'm sure you can cope with it.

A neighbour of ours has both of their kids with diabetes so it certainly isn't impossible....

martinbuchan

I think that was bizarre advice to get from NHS direct (often called NHS Dire by my English colleaugues, of course it is called NHS24 in Scotland).

*** were they trying to prove? Apart from worrying you. If she was type 1, lost lost of weight and il, here BS of 5 would not have happened. She would be on the way to hyperglycaemia, ketoacidosis etc. Why were you advised to do a mini GTT? She is 11, thin and not going to have type 2 diabetes. Get your GP to sort her out and avoid this kind of quackery.

I do hope all goes well for your wee one.

lionrampant

martinbuchan said:
I think that was bizarre advice to get from NHS direct (often called NHS Dire by my English colleaugues, of course it is called NHS24 in Scotland).

My mate works in the ambulances. You don't want to know his term for NHS24 :lol: