Out of control

lammaboy1

Daily medication= 2000mg Metformin,320mg Gliclazide,10mg Ramipril,40mg Simvastatin.
Despite taking care with diet, and taking exercise, my blood glucose level is out of control.Fed up being a guinea-pig for the drug companies. Any ideas?

sandymaynard

Hi
What sort of diet are you on at the minute?
What are your blood readings?
These questions will help us all to be able to offer you some advice to you!
sandy

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya lammaboy and welcome,
same as what sandy asked,can u give us an idea of blood measurements and food etc in a day and we can see if we can help you :D

lammaboy1

Hi
Thank you for swift replies.
Fasting glucose= 7.1....breakfast of porridge made with skimmed milk..1 hour later have reading of 21.00.
Normal diet is mainly veg+fish+ chana dahl on chapatis for lunch+ fruit(oranges-mangoes-bananas-strawberries etc-No apples) Take 8 mile walks three times weekly+Tai Chi.
67 year old non smoker.
Boring,right?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
no not boring :D
ok as u can see it certainly shows the porridge doesnt suit you, some can handle certain foods and some cant, i am ok with oats so simple, its all a matter of trying different foods and testing,
i went lower carb, some actually go very low carb, this is a choice each individual makes..
it is sugar/starches/carbohydrates that makes us have the highs, if u look on the packages of foods at total carbs you will soon see what is high and what is low, there is also a good pocket size book by collins-carb counting if this is the route you choose,
if it is we have a low carb part to this forum you may like to look at,
if its not and you want to keep to the food you are eating then going to see your gp/diabetic clinic and telling them so they can alter your treatment may be a good idea,
i hope this helps and others will be along to help soon,
stick around and feel free to ask as many questions as u want :D

lesleyr284

Hi lammaboy1,

As totsy says, its all about finding out what you can tolerate and what you can't. I used to be able to eat porridge, but not anymore - sends my bloods sugars into overdrive. Bananas have the same effect.

I'm afraid we all end up counting carbs to some extent, but if low carb is not for you, the best way is balance. You list some fairly high GI foods (bananas, mangoes for example), which will affect your readings. Eating them with lower GI foods will help keep the over all meal impacting better on your readings. Lentils affect some people too.

I would start testing after each meal for a while and make a list of foods eaten and resulting sugar levels. It won't take long to find which foods need to be watched/avoided. I usually only eat the high carbs when i know I'm about to do intensive exercise, and this helps me keep a constant level.

Good luck.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty