overweight daughter, could she be diabetic?

madsugars

:oops:
Hi guys I need some help, my daughter is nearly 9 and is 2 stone overweight although she doesn't eat much, and what she does eat is all low fat and sugar free because of my diabetes i don't buy different products for the family they eat what i eat. Anyway does any one know what the chances of her having diabetes as i have it, most of my family have it and as i say she is overweight and is also a fussy eater, need advice please......x

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The only way to find out if she has diabetes is to get her tested. She may be overweight due to other, totally unrelated issues. On a different note, how are you doing with your diabetes?

I hope you have a good GP!

wiflib

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
My advise is to get her checked by the doctor if you are worried. Does she show any of the symptoms of diabetes? I was a very overweight child but did not develop diabetes till my 50's.Have you ever done a finger prick test on her with your own blood tester?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you are worried, get your daughter checked. However, it's not only what she eats, but how much of it. A portion of any food should fit on the palm of the hand of the person, who is to eat it.
My younger sister-in-law was a very plump child( not diabetic, ) who ate the same sized portions as her 2 older brothers ,6 and 8 years older. The elder being my T1 husband, so she had some risk.

Trinkwasser

Probably the "low fat" is the problem, low fat foods tend to be stuffed with extra carbs which are not only bad for diabetes but bad for weight issues.

ally5555

Go and see your Gp and they will check that out. Ask for a referral to a paediatric dietitian because kids have very different needs and are still growing.

I see alot of kids with weight problems and after i get them to do a food diary find they are consuming alot more that parents think A previous poster mentioned the low fat foods and alot have lwer levels of fat but they add extra sugar - worst culprits are low fat yogurts, biscuits , cakes . Also look at drinks and restict fizzy drinks esp the ordinary types and fruit juic/smoothies. Also keep milk to no more than a pint.

Young kids need to make changes to their foods not a stict diet as such.

Trinkwasser

ally5555 said:
A previous poster mentioned the low fat foods and alot have lwer levels of fat but they add extra sugar - worst culprits are low fat yogurts, biscuits , cakes .

And starch.

I believe a new starch factory should have come into production by this harvest and I understand (I may be wrong) it can process feed wheat (cheap, low quality) as opposed to milling wheat (expensive, high quality) into pure starch for the Food Industry, thus yet another profit centre for high carb low fat foods - or rather, foodlike substances.

ally5555

depends what u mean by starch - it can be used as a filler etc - its added to alot of products to thicken tehm - like yoghurts. The important thing is to cook from fresh!

Trinkwasser

ally5555 said:
depends what u mean by starch - it can be used as a filler etc - its added to alot of products to thicken tehm - like yoghurts. The important thing is to cook from fresh!

Agreed! I find it annoying to read the small print on things. I buy OATcakes, why the hell do they put wheat in them? (Nairns don't but some other brands do).

We're delightfully old fashoned here, we have a choice of two greengrocers and two butchers and can find who grew whatever we buy. Then there are several farm shops and a market within easy reach. Yet some people drive to the next town because it has a Tescos <sigh>