1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Oxford/Pfizer vaccines , first hand report

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by JaneC, Jan 10, 2021.

1. JaneC

JaneC Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine 24 hours ago and just want to report that so far I've had few side effects, my arm aches a little and possibly feeling a bit tired but that might be auto suggestion. My blood sugars have stayed exactly the same. My husband who isn’t a type 1 had the Pfizer vaccine and reports no side effects bar the slight arm ache.

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

MY 90 year old T2 dad had his on Friday, and was very impressed with the organisation. He got the Pfizer, and though he felt tired that evening (probably because he'd left his home for the fist time in ages) he reports no other symptoms other than a slightly sore arm.

Hope you all get your vaccines soon and the UK gets the virus under control.

Good luck everyone. Stay safe.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. JaneC

#3 JaneC, Jan 11, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. Christina petropoulou

Did you have the opportunity to choose which vaccine to do?

5. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

According to the BBC news over the weekend, nobody gets to choose which vaccine they will receive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JaneC

No, this place was giving out the Pfizer and had one left at end of day so obviously my husband as front line worker rightly took priority and was told not enough for me but then it was suggested I might like to be the first to have the Oxford vaccine. Keen to have anything really so was quite happy to say yes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

My friend's husband and his twin brother both had their jabs on Sunday (in Sunderland). They are aged 75 and neither has any underlying health conditions. They are not shielders. They got their invitation by phone on Saturday, and both were gobsmacked! It was the Pfizer one. How has that happened? Unless the vaccine was reaching the deadline for storage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe some people hadn't turned up for their appointment and the organisers rang people until they got someone that answered.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. munkok

munkok Type 2 · Newbie

I am in group 6 for vaccination program. Today lunch time I received a phone call from my surgery to invite me for the vaccination. It was a big surprise for me. It is Pfizer vaccine and was asked to go to surgery this afternoon or tomorrow. I asked whether it is possible for next week, she said not known. Thus I accepted for tomorrow afternoon. Let you know how it goes..

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Goodness me. Are you sure you are in group 6?

11. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wow. That's great news.

12. JaneC

Just wanted to update my post, looking back over the last 10 days since having had the vaccination I now realise that I did get a few side effects in that my total daily dose increased by around 10/15% but turned to normal over the last day or so. I've also slept an hour or more each night as tiredness increased. All in all quite small side effects but definitely there.

• Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook