packed lunch ideas

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I'm on a day trip on Friday and would like some low carb ideas for a packed lunch, help!

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on a day trip on Friday and would like some low carb ideas for a packed lunch, help!
Depends how low carb you are doing but I sometimes make a scotch egg by wrapping a low carb (raw)sausage around a hard boiled egg then baking it (moderate oven, 15 mins then check it's cooked.) Sausages are never zero carb but some of the higher quality ones are not too bad.

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a similar outing on Sunday and bearing in mind summer is upon us I expect to take...
Cold cooked chicken leg, salad of everything I can think of (lettuce, sorrel, rocket, home-pickled beetroot, olives, spring onion, cucumber, celery, chives), low-carb full-fat mayo, maybe some almond cheese bread with extra cheese, mixed nuts, maybe an apple (daringly). Perhaps a flask of black coffee because I resent paying £1.50 for a polystyrene cup of brown washing-up water.

It's great reading in your other post that you've got your husband back!

Reactions: 8 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Being veggies we have a tub of home made coleslaw with chunks of cheese in, with a mixed salad and a scotch egg made from home grown eggs and veggie sausage.. A few cheese bickkies or a quiche without the base. Made with eggs, chease, mushrooms, courgettes, red pepper and tomatoes... Lovely cold on a warm day, with the coleslaw and salad .. Or curried coleslaw with curried egg mayo and some sticks of chease and sticks of celery and other salad veggies... Oooooo hungry now .......

Reactions: 4 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spread a slice or two of ham with cream cheese and wrap it around a pickle.
Coleslaw (I dress mine with mayo, vinegar, & stevia), then add some chia seed for crunch. @Enclave Never thought about adding cheese to that, but I am going to try that next time! :)
Avocado scooped out of the shell and mixed with chicken/pork/tuna with mayo, spices, and added back to the avocado shell.
Lettuce wraps- protein, veggies, dressing rolled into a nice, portable wrap
Celery & cream cheese

Reactions: 6 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Depends how low carb you are doing but I sometimes make a scotch egg by wrapping a low carb (raw)sausage around a hard boiled egg then baking it (moderate oven, 15 mins then check it's cooked.) Sausages are never zero carb but some of the higher quality ones are not too bad.
Great idea, makes it feel like a real picnic!

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I've got a similar outing on Sunday and bearing in mind summer is upon us I expect to take...
Cold cooked chicken leg, salad of everything I can think of (lettuce, sorrel, rocket, home-pickled beetroot, olives, spring onion, cucumber, celery, chives), low-carb full-fat mayo, maybe some almond cheese bread with extra cheese, mixed nuts, maybe an apple (daringly). Perhaps a flask of black coffee because I resent paying £1.50 for a polystyrene cup of brown washing-up water.

It's great reading in your other post that you've got your husband back!
Yes I've decided to make coronation chicken, recipe from Zanas High Fat book with lots of sala and definitely mtake my own coffee.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Spread a slice or two of ham with cream cheese and wrap it around a pickle.
Coleslaw (I dress mine with mayo, vinegar, & stevia), then add some chia seed for crunch. @Enclave Never thought about adding cheese to that, but I am going to try that next time! :)
Avocado scooped out of the shell and mixed with chicken/pork/tuna with mayo, spices, and added back to the avocado shell.
Lettuce wraps- protein, veggies, dressing rolled into a nice, portable wrap
Celery & cream cheese
Can't believe I'd forgotton about avocados they're so versatile, thanks:)

Reactions: 2 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Being veggies we have a tub of home made coleslaw with chunks of cheese in, with a mixed salad and a scotch egg made from home grown eggs and veggie sausage.. A few cheese bickkies or a quiche without the base. Made with eggs, chease, mushrooms, courgettes, red pepper and tomatoes... Lovely cold on a warm day, with the coleslaw and salad .. Or curried coleslaw with curried egg mayo and some sticks of chease and sticks of celery and other salad veggies... Oooooo hungry now .......
yummy, I keep hearing about quiche without the base, how do you get all the ingredients to stick together?

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing thread! I've been here for a month, lost a lot of weight (well lost some 8Kg in 3 weeks) as I just keep being frightened to eat! And after clearing my kitchen cupboards I was thinking of renting one as a spare room, lol. But on a serious note I've been eating lots of small tined fish mackerel in spicy tomato sauce etc., 70p @Tesco's, at lunch time, I did have to remember to take a fork to work, but easy to carry around, just have to be careful with the lid opening and throwing away (obviously).

#Enclave But on this quiche, the link doesn't work? It says I don't have permission?

I must say I used to make a quiche base with 2 jacket potatoes (microwaved) some butter and some wholemeal flour (all mashed together and pushed around/laid in the quiche dish and then poured the egg mixture in, then baked) when I was a student, way too difficult to make pastry...

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing thread! I've been here for a month, lost a lot of weight (well lost some 8Kg in 3 weeks) as I just keep being frightened to eat! And after clearing my kitchen cupboards I was thinking of renting one as a spare room, lol. But on a serious note I've been eating lots of small tined fish mackerel in spicy tomato sauce etc., 70p @Tesco's, at lunch time, I did have to remember to take a fork to work, but easy to carry around, just have to be careful with the lid opening and throwing away (obviously).

#Enclave But on this quiche, the link doesn't work? It says I don't have permission?

I must say I used to make a quiche base with 2 jacket potatoes (microwaved) some butter and some wholemeal flour (all mashed together and pushed around/laid in the quiche dish and then poured the egg mixture in, then baked) when I was a student, way too difficult to make pastry...
The link should work ! It's only linking to my blog page .....

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry the link should work as it only to my blog on this site !

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Enclave,

Thanks, I just tried again, and its saying I don't have permission to view the page or take this action.

Still perhaps #TimeRich will have better luck, it could be my profile permissions.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to avoid ham, because even the organic stuff has nitrates. Prosciutto (Parma ham), if it's the real thing (look for a gold crown on the packaging) doesn't have any. The slices are thin, so you could stack em then spread full fat cottage cheese on and sprinkle with fesh herbs before rolling up and securing with cocktail sticks.

Hard-boiled eggs, cold sausages (check carb content), the lowest carb & highest fat houmous you can find (or make your own) with veggie sticks.. frittata.. prawns.. pork scratchings, salads..

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live on pastry free quiche when I'm at work (or any time actually) personally I beat eggs, mix with cottage cheese just to bulk it a bit, mushrooms, ham, cheese, veggies, anything you like really, I layer ham at the bottom of the quiche dish as my 'base' then pour the mixture on top & put cheese on the top :) sorry I don't measure things I'm a thrower inner lol

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Enclave,

Thanks, I just tried again, and its saying I don't have permission to view the page or take this action.

Still perhaps #TimeRich will have better luck, it could be my profile permissions.
Sorry it should be viewable to all visitors !!!!!
But your not missing to much .....this is it ..

Now we all know the wife's an artist and a good veggie cook .. So sometimes we have to invent names for her dishes ... The latest piece of food has now officially named (by me) Frititetata .... That's pronounced Frit-e-tit-e-tit-e-tar-tar ... And is super ..uses a lot of the eggs our hens lay and some herbs from the garden ... It's basically a quiche without the pastry base ... With a fair smattering of herbs that we grow .. Also when they are in the garden ..courgette..red pepper..onion and shop purchased mushrooms ...lots of cheases ... It's started in a small frying pan on the hob then finished off cooking in the oven ... It rises like a soufflé and looks amazingly colourful. I expect this dish has a standard name .. But for me it will always be called ..... Fritititetata

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
crudités - strips of pepper, cucumber and celery with hummus (small amount) or full fat cream cheese
Olives
cheese
hard boiled eggs
veggie puffs (sort of like an omelette but cooked in oven in a deep muffin tray so portable)

or a sandwich made with oopsie bread