1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pain and Addiction

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Richard.E.Craig, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Richard.E.Craig

Richard.E.Craig · Member

I have for a long time 14 years endured abscesses and neuropathy in my legs feet and hip.The pain is getting worse by the day. Some eight years ago after a long and loving affair with Dihydrocodeine I was additionally put onto Durogesic 100mg fentanyl transdermal patches. To cut a long story short I became seriously addicted after a long six years of use and ended up in a psychiatric unit (the addiction unit refused to take me on because of my diabetes :? ) for three moths coming of the stuff.
    Whilst I am happy to be no longer addicted to fentanyl, I find myself in a s*&! load of pain. I have been prescribed Gabapentin and amitripteline but my pain is still largely unmanaged. I know that a dose of Codeine 60mg works but my doctor refuses to prescribe it and so when my pain is unbearable I am compelled to take up to 32 Co-Codamol 500/8 a day :shock: I know this is dangerous but the pain is so bad .
    Is anyone out there in a similar predicament? How do you cope?
    Regards Ricky

2. bowell

bowell · Well-Known Member

Hi
    I find the GPs don't like ,or are reluctant to prescribe the stronger pain relief
    ASK to see a Pain Consultant ,will over ride your GP on Meds

I find My Pain Consultant and pain team, A real help , I don't bother with my GP, if i am having a problem with pain control I just call the pain Team

Bob

PM if you like

3. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Has anyone suggested a pump to give you measured amounts of pain relief ?

As you probably know, taking over the dosage of Paracetamol will damage your Liver. As Bowell says ask to be refered to a pain clinic as you will be doing yourself serious damage taking this amount of analgesics.

4. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

There is a newish drug out, which I believe is far more expensive than others that is said to treat diabetic neuropathy. It is called duloxitine. I have only been on it with 25mg of ampitryptalene for two weeks, but I have found that it has been the only drug so far for me that has given me chronic side effects. I previously used to take 8 diclofenics and 8 paracetomals a day to try and get trid of pain, when I was given a wrong diagnosis of palindromic rheumatism.....they never touched the pain..

I would say now that my mind is a lot clearer and my pain is diminshed slightly, but I am only on a very small dose of this newish drug, as I was made to trial all the cheaper ones first (don't blame GP-if they had worked I wouldn't have minded). I see my GP again in a few weeks, and I am expecting him to raise the dosage, where I may get a more significant improvement.

My pain is not due to neuropathy, but it clearly says on the packets it is for that purpose as well as the illness I have it for.

I also am on the waiting list (12 months) to see a pain management consultant.

5. bowell

Funny that you said Pump Sue :!:

I have just been offered a Trial for a permanent morphine pump that would installed under skin ,in Aug

The trial pump is an external one with catheter placed into the spine this trial lasts 7 days
    If all is OK. Some weeks later a permanent pump is installed under skin the catheter is also routed under the skin into the spine. Pump is refilled by syringe around every 12 weeks

Still thinking :? I have a few weeks left to decide , Its a big lump of metal to be placed inside you

Bob

6. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

You can get pumps that you have to put in a subcutaneous needle and change the site every so often. However these are refilled every 24 hours.

7. bowell

from experience

TOP TIP if you are seeing pain consultant

To make a list of the type of pain you have
    starting with your toes working up to your head (if it goes that far)
    Try to describe each Type of pain , its no good just saying it hurts
    example:

Starts in my toes with a cutting burning feeling then i have the feeling
    that someone is pushing pins in my toes,all the time
    the top of my feet feel like hot fat has just been split
    deep in my ankles i have this crushing throbbing pain, ect

Work your way up your body ,
    best time to do this is when your laying in bed.

The effect that any medication has on your pain now or not :!:

The pain consultant appointment may be a lot longer than you will be accustomed to with other doctors consultants

I am normally in with my one for well over the hour

Informed If the morphine is placed direct into my spine , for the same effect pain relief would only need 1/8th of the morphine dose used now ,as permanent morphine user this would be more beneficial ,unit is easily re-programed :?:

Bob

8. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Is this the one, Bowell ?

painclinic (morphine pumps)

9. bowell

Yep that sounds just like it ,Consultant did show me a photo ,,
    it looked just like a old Morris Minor windscreen motor ?

I am 80/20 in favour so far

Bob

10. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

If you click on the little camera symbols in that link it shows you the pictures.

Morris Minors.....showing your age there Bowell :D ( and mine).

11. bowell

Deff ,,,,that is the beast

I have just seen how much the thing costs :!: :!: :!: :!: on that site, reckon its £20,000 :shock:
    Makes an Insulin pump look very cheap

If i do manage to have one fitted :? ........ I Just cant see my PTC shelling that much out :?

Better not tell my Son costs that ,,He cut me open and trade it in for a new car :?

Bob

12. Richard.E.Craig

Richard.E.Craig · Member

Thanks guy's, your suggestions and help have been invaluable. :D The craic is brilliant :lol: my love to you all.
    Ricky

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook