Type 2 Pain and rocketing blood sugar levels

t2tedf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’m new to this forum stuff (65 and not very computer literate), so please give me a break.

I’m taking Metformin 2 x twice a day, Glicazide 1 x twice a day and Sitaglyptin 1 in morning along with a load of heart meds. I was thinking my sugars were coming under control as regularly showing 10 or below in the morning and around 7 or 8 in lunch and pre evening meal tests.

2 weeks ago my back went (old injury that reoccurs occasionally) but this one has been bad. I’m dosed up on pain killers and muscle relaxants, back brace and walking stick. My time had been spent between walking albeit slowly and very steadily and resting/sleeping but my blood sugars have rocketed. I’m now getting between 12 and more often 15-16 in the morning reducing only by a couple of points during the day. I did get an 8.8 the other lunchtime but just once.

Told doctor on reviewing meds last week but he told me to talk to Diabetic Nurse. Tried to get an appointment but got to wait 3 weeks for a phone appointment.

I have reduced my food intake to balance lack of exercise. Low Carbs etc. For example evening meal last night was 1 and 1/2 ham and chicken sandwiches on low GI bread and water. This mornings reading was 15.8

Any advice please?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This looks a bit tricky: nothing to panic about, but your numbers are rather high, especially on that medication. Pain and stress can raise your numbers, so that might well be part of it. Low-GI, in my experience, counts for little, so I think ditching the low-carb bread would be the first short-term step.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that pain and stress can raise levels. So can pain meds and heart meds
You can go much lower carb to try to offset it a bit. No bread, potatoes pasta or rice. Nothing with flour or sugar in.
Could even try full carnivore for a few days.
If bg still high, or rises, go back to doctors or call 111

D

Deleted member 543160

Another agreement regarding pain in relation to higher glucose levels.

If you're cutting down on food, make sure you're still eating enough suitable protein (e.g .eggs, meat, fish, etc) which your body needs for essential maintenance and repair.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’m new to this forum stuff (65 and not very computer literate), so please give me a break.

I’m taking Metformin 2 x twice a day, Glicazide 1 x twice a day and Sitaglyptin 1 in morning along with a load of heart meds. I was thinking my sugars were coming under control as regularly showing 10 or below in the morning and around 7 or 8 in lunch and pre evening meal tests.

2 weeks ago my back went (old injury that reoccurs occasionally) but this one has been bad. I’m dosed up on pain killers and muscle relaxants, back brace and walking stick. My time had been spent between walking albeit slowly and very steadily and resting/sleeping but my blood sugars have rocketed. I’m now getting between 12 and more often 15-16 in the morning reducing only by a couple of points during the day. I did get an 8.8 the other lunchtime but just once.

Told doctor on reviewing meds last week but he told me to talk to Diabetic Nurse. Tried to get an appointment but got to wait 3 weeks for a phone appointment.

I have reduced my food intake to balance lack of exercise. Low Carbs etc. For example evening meal last night was 1 and 1/2 ham and chicken sandwiches on low GI bread and water. This mornings reading was 15.8

Any advice please?

For me, pain and stress are unhelpful to my blood glucose numbers.

I agree with the others that paring back on the carbs - irrespective of GI, could be helpful. If you do that, it is important you diligently test your bloods because both Gliclazide and your Gliptin call upon your body to release more natural insulin, so can cause overly low blood sugars.

To be honest, with the levels you are seeing, it is likely that could take a little while to happen, but it cannot be ruled out.

I hope your pain eases soon, but lease do watch those blood levels as you go.