Pain in lower shins/front ankle when walking

bonerp

Hey all,
After only about 200 yards the lower shins and top front edge of ankle becomes painful, and feels quite inflexible. After less than a mile walking it really becomes quite painful.

I thought it may have been shin splints - but I dont run.

I then thought it may have been down to choice of shoes as my office wear causes the discomfort to come on quicker than say leisure shoes.

I've tried stretching it out but that just hurts too. My local gym also suggested knealing on my feet to stretch out but this hasnt helped either - worried I might be doing more damage than good!

I'm thinking I really need to go to the quacks. However before I do any ideas?

cheers
Paul

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi

I get the same sort of thing although its restricted to my shins and not my ankles. Its wierd, the faster I walk the more the shins hurt!! I don't think it has anything to so with my diabetes though, although I could be wrong. Sorry I can't help :roll:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Paul,
If you are taking either pioglitazone (Actos) or rosiglitazone (Avandia) then this is a known and serious side effect and must be reported to your diabetes team as soon as possible. In the case of the glitazones the ankle and shin pains are caused by fluid retention and can leadt to heart attack.

Graham55

Hi,
Are you taking Simvastatin by any chance, this caused my foot and leg pain and i stopped but it takes ages for the pain to go.

bonerp

no. ive been given simvastatin to take but stories like urs have kept me off them!

All I'm taking is aspirin 75mg and candasartan 4mg.

I'm on a pump using novorapid. Thats it.
I've just bought some insoles from drfoot so will try those.

bonerp

37!!

I'm hoping insoles will help but i was more worried about a more serious medical problem to do with diabetes.

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
Sounds very much like shin splints to me. It's a bit of a mis-conception that it comes from just running. It's a very common army complaint caused through marching or tabbing with Boots on. Suffered quite a few times while on parade with no real option at the time but to grin and bear it. only real cure is to rest it. What many soldiers do when tabbing (forced marching) is jog, it relieves it for a bit, (there really wasn't the option of stopping and putting one's feet up :D )

Sweet3x

Yep, shin splints. I get it. You don't have to be running.
I'm not 100% certain it's not related to high blood sugars. It goes, once you've stopped walking/jogging/whatevering

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Paul,
How long u been diabetic, and how long u been on new analogue insulin? Do you think there could be relationship with problem and medication?
Jus

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
How long have you had problem with ankle?
It's prob nothing to do with your diabetes or medication. It's just these new insulin analogues work by lowering your blood sugar, they are not "insulin" in the true sense of the word- they mimic what insulin does by affecting other hormones and your liver and It is known they can cause unusual side effects. My husband's a scientist, so I should get him to post some info to explain what I mean. But it is prob worth, for your own info, looking into how your medication is produced and how it works. I always thought I was injecting insulin, but it aint that at all.
Jus

l0vaduck

I went through something similar a couple of years ago when I started exercising by walking. The pains stopped immediately I stopped walking, and only started when I reached a good brisk pace (or uphill). At the time the only board I was frequenting was the AOL diabetes board, which tends to be dominated by a couple of (sorry, but this is the only way I can think of to describe them) know-it-alls. They were absolutely certain that what I had was a serious complication - peripheral arteri... something! Some kind of thickening of the arteries which was preventing oxygen getting to the muscles.

Anyway, I googled it, and the symptoms sounded similar, so I went to the GP and told him my fears. He was extremely sceptical but agreed to send me to a consultant as I was worried.

The consultant was incredulous that my GP had referred me because of my age: apparently people don't get this condition under the age of 55 (I was 43 at the time). The consultant (a cardio-guy) checked me out and pronounced me fine.

After a while the pains just went away on their own, and I felt very silly! Have since lost a lot of weight and am now exercising every day with no pain. I think it was just my muscles complaining about propelling my 15 stone at a brisk walk!

bonerp

hmmm. i have read that walking faster can walk it off - bit I just find it gets even worse to the stage that I need to slow right down and dawdle!
the gym gave me some stretches but not helped either!

l0vaduck

bonerp said:
hmmm. i have read that walking faster can walk it off - bit I just find it gets even worse to the stage that I need to slow right down and dawdle!
the gym gave me some stretches but not helped either!

Have you only recently started exercising? I found the same as you: walking faster made it worse. It was really quite painful, whereas I could dawdle all day!

bonerp

no! I'm quite a fit bloke and go to the gym but dont run or anything like that as have a bad back.

I'm going to try some insoles to see if they help but I've found shoes with a heel dont help (esp stilletos on a fri (LOL) but am being more chosey with esp walking shoes.

if the insoles work I'll repost on here.

Ashland

Dislikes
Constantly being asked if I'm okay! (does this happen to you?)
Yea it probably is shoes, I get this and it Definitely isn't cardioartery-thingy or whatever those AOL guys said. Rollerblading hits your shins horribly sometimes, but I never noticed any pain til I was walking in a shoe with a hard sole (awful cheap things), then it'd jarr up my shin on every step.
Soft soles (get your shoes from next!)
or
wheels on y'feet
Is the way to go :)