Pain in Shins

ccoles1

Hi all

I wonder if any one can answer this question.

I keep getting pains in my shins, like very bad cramp. The only way I get the pain to go is warm my shins up. It is not every day, happens mostly at night. I sleep with wool socks on. Recently I have started to get it when I go swimming. It seams that I get it when my shins get cold, it can be either or both shins.
I am on Prenisolne, Testosterone, Lipitrol, Celcept500, Novaraid pumping with a Accucheck combo, Hba1c 6.8,
Does any one have this problem? is it diabetic related? What do you do stop it?
Many Thanks
Chris

moonstone

Leading up to diagnosis when I was really unwell I got cramps in my legs, mostly at night, and struggled to walk up stairs too. It settled down when I got diagnosed. I randomly met a type 1 diabetic at a gig and he told me that if he could give me one piece of advice it would be to eat a banana every day as the potassium in them "stops the cramps". It might be with all the pills you're on you're lacking in some vitamins + minerals. Or, it could be something entirely different, but I can't see any harm in trying a banana and seeing what happens! Bananas also lower blood pressure to some extent, which is good for diabetics, obviously.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ccoles1 said:
Hi all

I wonder if any one can answer this question.

I keep getting pains in my shins, like very bad cramp. The only way I get the pain to go is warm my shins up. It is not every day, happens mostly at night. I sleep with wool socks on. Recently I have started to get it when I go swimming. It seams that I get it when my shins get cold, it can be either or both shins.
I am on Prenisolne, Testosterone, Lipitrol, Celcept500, Novaraid pumping with a Accucheck combo, Hba1c 6.8,
Does any one have this problem? is it diabetic related? What do you do stop it?
Many Thanks
Chris

Hi,
I suffer from cramp at night in my lower legs and feet which I presume is caused by a lack of blood supply. I have had an angiogram which confirmed that the supply of blood is bad from my calfs downwards. The diabetes is generally blamed for the poor circulation. However I take a quinine tablet each day, before bed, which does prevent the cramp, by delaying the time it takes for the muscle to contract, thereby relieving the muscle spasms. If I forget to take it, the cramp returns within 2 or 3 hours. So it might be worth asking your GP about quinine.

ccoles1

Thank you for your replys
I have been taking magnesiumn tablets since mid october. I have had no cramps since I started to take this supplement.
Thank you
regards
Chris

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I too have found magnesium makes my night cramps stop. Try it! :)