Pain in stomach when having a hypo

kellyb8511

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything about diabetes
hi guys does anyone get really painful stomach pains whilst having hypos? I always do just wondered if it was common x

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Can't say I do to be honest be interesting to see what others say sorry I'm no help

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I don't get that symptom but do get the urge to pee when I go hypo :(

Reading and taking part in these discussions before there's been some quite unique symptoms that are individual to ourselves, but the important thing is is recognising the symptom as a sign of low bg levels.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hi guys does anyone get really painful stomach pains whilst having hypos? I always do just wondered if it was common x

Hi kelly, no I don't, but if it happens again, have a word with your GP to discuss the problem. Hope you can get it sorted out soon.
Best wishes RRB

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I don't but I can get bad nausea at times with my hypos. I have digestive pain all the time anyhow so maybe it is just that I can't tell. I do know another lady who has T1 that says her stomach goes numb when she hypos. Although if this is really concerning, it is probably a good idea to get your stomach checked too as it could be some other issue affecting you and hypos just exacerbate it.

Dashing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i don't get pains in my stomach, sometimes when i am hi i do though but then goes after about a hour or two.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kelly, I know this post is old but wondering whether you went to the doctors? I have started to get severe stomach pains during and after a hypo. My heart also starts to beat so fast, last night I was convinced I was having a heart attack. I did have miscarriage a couple of months ago, but I'm not sure if the two are related.

NiccyW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! I used to get strong palpitations but now I know when I'm going hypo because I get really bad upper stomach cramps and sometimes nausea. I've mentioned it at the diabetes clinic and got tested for crohns disease but otherwise everyone is puzzled.

NiccyW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out I've been diabetic for 40 years, not overweight and been on insulin for years so I'm not really sure what "type " I am.

Kingsheathlad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to have a feeling in my stomach ,it was'nt a pain or cramp as such ,just a feeling that something not right. I went to doctors and she reckoned it was a reaction to the metformin. I am now on Omeprazole 20 mg and it has worked. I have never had a hypo yet. I am Type 2 and have been about 15 months.

JeanCL

I get stomach (abdominal) pain when I'm too hungry, which will happen when towards hypo (for me nearer 4 than 5), I guess (I'm prediabetic, and want to avoid 'promotion', so trying low carb diet)

Rc04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feel like my stomach is churning and tying it's self in knots - wouldn't say it's really painful, but it's definately not comfortable! This is one of the main symptoms of going low/hypo for me. I was diagnosed T1 about 7 - 8 months ago and the stomach pains were much worse with my first hypo - but then I was very low, so could by why pain was worse.

I also get similar pains when hungry, so can be difficult to detrmine which is which - I just check bg incase. I'm sure as time goes on I'll learn the difference between hunger/hypo!?!

Aleister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feel like my stomach is churning and tying it's self in knots - wouldn't say it's really painful, but it's definately not comfortable! This is one of the main symptoms of going low/hypo for me. I was diagnosed T1 about 7 - 8 months ago and the stomach pains were much worse with my first hypo - but then I was very low, so could by why pain was worse.

I also get similar pains when hungry, so can be difficult to detrmine which is which - I just check bg incase. I'm sure as time goes on I'll learn the difference between hunger/hypo!?!

Aleister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am male and have been Type 1 for over 30 years. During that time, symptoms of going hypo have varied a great deal. However, over the last 2-3 years, severe stomach cramps have become a new and frequent symptom - I know these cramps are brought on by hypos as my blood sugar is low whenever I test with this symptom. These cramps are so severe that I am temporarily incapacitated and have to bend over to reduce the pain. The cramps last until I have got my blood sugar up to a normal level.

Hypos can manifest in many ways - not just by the symptoms usually listed by the medical profession.

steveelles

I'm going to show this thread to my doctor. So pleased I found it. Okay, here's my experience starting with the diabetes history and then into the stomach pains as a parallel history.
I was diagnosed Type 2 by a nurse around 2012. I have it on both sides of my family and carried a 50% predisposition. After a lot of hassling I was referred to a diabetes consultant who confirmed that I have been displaying symptoms consistent with type 2 diabetes since early childhood (even though the NHS says there are no recorded type 2's from the 70s and 80s). So the current diagnosis is a Variant of Type 2. I am now medicated (combined Metformin and Aloglyptin)
Profound stomach pains started at 17 and usually hit me slap bang in the middle of the night. Racing heart. Delirium. Drenched in some sort of acidic sweat that burned my skin. Stomach cramps so painful I nearly faint. At 30 it hospitalised me for a week because it cause a tear and some bleeding. Still no diagnosis from a range of doctors. Over the following 17 years it peaks and troughs but is always a feature of my year ranging from two or three episodes a year to every couple of weeks.
Ok, that's the history but now's the point. Aloglyptin makes my hypo nausea really nasty. Sometimes I've had about 60 seconds warning before vomiting. Over the last few months I have carefully considered what I am feeling when this is happening. It is my stomach, intestines, bowel and bladder. It's like they've all decided to stand up in unison and go for a walk around the room without me. No wonder I throw up. As for the middle of the night pains. They coincide perfectly with my 3-4am crash which wakes me up nearly every night and also coincided with my dead of night hallucinations and night terrors I had when I was little. So I decided to try an experiment. I waited for my next episode and when I woke up with heart banging, hot, sweaty, nauseous and intestines beginning to bunch I did a big bottle of Lucozade in. It was the first time I have ever managed an episode. From a pain level of 8 right down to a 3. The next challenge I have to solve is how to get the glucose into me quicker so I can nip the cramps in the bud. I'd inject it but that's just weird. I'd put in my own glucose drip but I don't think I'm allowed to and I really don't fancy stabbing a vein which my hands are shaking like a leaf.
Anyway, so glad to see I'm not the only one although I wish there were none of us.
Best of luck
Steve

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to show this thread to my doctor. So pleased I found it. Okay, here's my experience starting with the diabetes history and then into the stomach pains as a parallel history.
I was diagnosed Type 2 by a nurse around 2012. I have it on both sides of my family and carried a 50% predisposition. After a lot of hassling I was referred to a diabetes consultant who confirmed that I have been displaying symptoms consistent with type 2 diabetes since early childhood (even though the NHS says there are no recorded type 2's from the 70s and 80s). So the current diagnosis is a Variant of Type 2. I am now medicated (combined Metformin and Aloglyptin)
Profound stomach pains started at 17 and usually hit me slap bang in the middle of the night. Racing heart. Delirium. Drenched in some sort of acidic sweat that burned my skin. Stomach cramps so painful I nearly faint. At 30 it hospitalised me for a week because it cause a tear and some bleeding. Still no diagnosis from a range of doctors. Over the following 17 years it peaks and troughs but is always a feature of my year ranging from two or three episodes a year to every couple of weeks.
Ok, that's the history but now's the point. Aloglyptin makes my hypo nausea really nasty. Sometimes I've had about 60 seconds warning before vomiting. Over the last few months I have carefully considered what I am feeling when this is happening. It is my stomach, intestines, bowel and bladder. It's like they've all decided to stand up in unison and go for a walk around the room without me. No wonder I throw up. As for the middle of the night pains. They coincide perfectly with my 3-4am crash which wakes me up nearly every night and also coincided with my dead of night hallucinations and night terrors I had when I was little. So I decided to try an experiment. I waited for my next episode and when I woke up with heart banging, hot, sweaty, nauseous and intestines beginning to bunch I did a big bottle of Lucozade in. It was the first time I have ever managed an episode. From a pain level of 8 right down to a 3. The next challenge I have to solve is how to get the glucose into me quicker so I can nip the cramps in the bud. I'd inject it but that's just weird. I'd put in my own glucose drip but I don't think I'm allowed to and I really don't fancy stabbing a vein which my hands are shaking like a leaf.
Anyway, so glad to see I'm not the only one although I wish there were none of us.
Best of luck
Steve
That sounds like an awful experience and I can only imagine how traumatising it must have been as a child! As you say you are Type 2, could you get your doctor to reduce your medication so that your sugars don't crash in the middle or the night? Also, could you maybe have a small snack before you go to sleep? I find it difficult to predict when my blood sugars are going to drop, since I forget sometimes that I am diabetic and go for a good few hours without eating! I now try to have something. For instance, I went to Sainsburys today and had two biscuits whilst I was in the changing rooms because I realised I hadn't eaten for a while!