Painful Feet

cidermouth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I've been a Type 2 since 1997 and, I'm ashamed to admit, not too good at maintaining control and am now on Lantus and Novorapid at each mealtime. For the past 6 months I've had very painful feet, I basically can't walk barefoot on any hard surface. Also my three outer toes feel as if they are being pulled in, it's likemy toes are numb but super sensitive at the same time. Any help at treating this much appreciated.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Cidermouth.If your diabetes is not well controlled you may well be developing complications.Have you been to your doctor with this and what did they say about it? To lessen complications the first thing is to get your diabetes under control.This means getting your HBa1c down under 7% and keeping your daily blood sugar levels down under 7 mmol/L. Above this number is when complications start to appear especially over a prolonged period of time.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Don't leave this get it checked!
Neuropathy can lead to some really nasty things. If it's nothing, that's brilliant.

ChocFish

Hello cidermouth

Please get a full and proper check up, and then start dealing with your diabetes and getting those numbers down to non-diabetic levels.
Dont panic, even if you have a neuropathy diagnosis, chances are that you can reverse this if you take appropriate action. If you read my 'horror' story posted in the Success Stories thread you will see that I have managed to reverse my neuropathy, and I am by no means unique.

All the best

Karen

Trinkwasser

Agree with the others, your #1 priority should be BG control and I;d also advise a visit to a podiatrist where they can map out your feet with a fine fibre and a tuning fork.

Hopefully you should see some improvement over time, some people find this may also help

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dpn.htm

cidermouth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for all your advice.
I have my 6 monthly check at the hospital in Feb. so I'll bring it up then. I get the impression that, understandably, as I can't get control of my BG, they've given up on me. I know theres no excuse but I find that no matter how much I increase my insulin dose I get no improvement.
I'm going to make 2009 the year I crack this problem with diet and exercise.
Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.