Pains in lower legs

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies, I've probably posted moaning about this before on here. It's been on going for a few years and never given an answer as it why it happens from the GP.
The family and I were doing the Memory Walk for Alzheimer's Society today, just 2k. Set off at a decent pace, though not what I'd call brisk. 5 minutes in I had to sit down with the pains, feels like I have to stop to "let the blood back into my legs", if that makes sense. It eases when I slow down and stop. I couldn't complete the walk today! So frustrating. I walk daily with my dogs and find there are times the pains are terrible (like today) and other times I could walk for a couple of hours, so long as I can slow down or stop now and again.

The pains are shin splints to the front of either or both legs, and cramp like pains, like the calves turn into hard balls at the back of my lower leg. If I stop or slow way down it eases.

Does anyone know what might be causing these sorts of pains. Over this last week my glucose levels have been perfect.
I used to be someone who was very active and feel so stupid and useless today having to wimp out of a 2k walk.
Letting the blood back into your legs sounds very much like 'Intermittent Claudication' (I have this) and it's caused by narrowing of arteries in legs. Obviously you should talk to your doctor about this for a proper diagnosis.

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll look that up, thanks. I've been to the GP repeatedly over the last couple of years about this and never given an answer. They do blood tests now and again and they always come back all clear.
You wouldn't be able to detect it from a blood test. At least my doc had a reasonable idea what it was when I described the symptoms, but he sent me to the vascular clinic who did ultrasound scans from my aorta down to me heels to confirm the extent of narrowings.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The advice I got from vascular consultant was to take statin and baby aspirin and walk as much as I could to help open up collateral arteries to improve circulation - so I'm sure the dog walking is helping.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The advice I got from vascular consultant was to take statin and baby aspirin and walk as much as I could to help open up collateral arteries to improve circulation - so I'm sure the dog walking is helping.

So did that help Rob?

desidiabulum

Intermittent claudication can also be caused by B12 deficiency -- make sure they are testing for this.
(Yes, I know I go on about B12 deficiency -- hobby of mine)

Reactions: 6 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Intermittent claudication can also be caused by B12 deficiency -- make sure they are testing for this.
(Yes, I know I go on about B12 deficiency -- hobby of mine)
That's interesting. They discovered I was B12 deficient when I was diagnosed with coeliac so I was probably deficient for many years before that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do you eat enough fat?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My leg pain I believe was down to statins-but whatever the cause, I was also on b12 as a sufferer of perncious anaemia and diagnosed with fibryomalgia and also investiagted for diabetic amotrophy......All pain gone... Just more fat added to diet...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My leg pain I believe was down to ststins-but whatever the cause, I was also on b12 and fibbryomalgia... Neither now.. Just more fat..
I certainly had muscle pain from the first three statins I tried, but I seem to be ok with lowest dose rosuvastatin taken on alternate days.

Adele99

Best to get it checked, as can easily be done at Vascular clinic or even at your GPs with a simple test which is non invasive nor painful.

If you have developed it, keep your blood sugars as tight as possible, stop smoking if you do, and keep your weight as normal range as possible as extra weight makes the distance shorter. Keep as mobile as you can, just have a 3 minute stop each time your legs indicate they're getting heavy and sore, before moving off. . There is also a booklet available with specific leg and foot exercises for people with vascular problems in the legs.

Adele99

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you've had with your health. I used to walk our dogs for miles until various long term diabetic problems caught up with me. And it's very easy when you're not as active for the pounds to slowly pile on over time. Your legs will get you further if not carrying any excess weight though, and as I'm only able now to get about 40 yards before my legs seize up and I've got to stop. I had to vastly reduce my food intake to keep my weight steady., otherwise I'd be huge as I don't burn the same calories now.

Hope it all works out for you

sjdh1979

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i too get lots of pains in my feet and my calves i was told i had wear and tear in my right knee eight years ago but only got an exray earlier this year as i could not straighten my leg or walk without twisting my leg round from my hip. i was told i had severe wear an tear but i would expect flare ups. i finally got fed up with feeling like i was banging my head as apart from confirming wear and tear i waa offered no help. i recently saw a different gp in my practise who referred me for a physio assesment. well wat can i say she reckons i have no wear ans tear. i was born with hyper mobility and i have very small knee caps and cause of those things after a fall years ago i developed mal tracking patella she reckons after some excercises it should improve but may take longer after being misdiagnosed for eight years. sorry for the rant but have so many different things going on and i just feel let down also two weeks ago my dn says shes not sure i am diabetic after two years and although thats good news its also confusing any thoughts.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya, I also have this problem with my legs. Over the last two years I have had every test know to man and my doctor has only been able to tell me what it's not. Eventually after much fuss he sent me to see a physio and I have been having a kind of sports massage on my lower legs which has helped. I still get pain current when I go for strong walk at good pace - but I am hoping with the exercises the physio has give me it will get better.

K

JLowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being categorised with Type 2 diabetics
Hi I have had type 1 diabetes for 45 years and unfortunately when first diagnosed there was no help like there is now therefore even though I have developed many diabetes related problems the only thing I can do now is try to keep my diabetes under control. I find it really hard when being so out of control when first diagnosed. At 26 I suffered lower leg pain where I thought I had pulled a muscle and the pain would only subside if I stopped walking. Went to docs then sent to a vascular surgeon where I was diagnosed with blocked arteries. Following investigations I then had bypass surgery in both legs. I have had this surgery 3 times in right leg and twice in left. Circulation in right leg still poor and they have informed me that there is further surgery that can be done but the chance of losing the leg are quite high so I put up with the pain as I've got many pairs of shoes to wear Ha! Ha! I M just giving you my experience as to let you know how important it is to keep nagging your doc and keep on top of your control.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hiya, I also have this problem with my legs. Over the last two years I have had every test know to man and my doctor has only been able to tell me what it's not. Eventually after much fuss he sent me to see a physio and I have been having a kind of sports massage on my lower legs which has helped. I still get pain current when I go for strong walk at good pace - but I am hoping with the exercises the physio has give me it will get better.

K

Have you been tested for diabetic amyotrophy where they stick needles in your legs? I had pains for years and thi was never done till last year.

lauxim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am new to the forum but wanted to share my experience hoping that it'll help someone else. I have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years (I am now 30 yrs old). I have been lucky enough to not have any complications from diabetes except for high blood pressure. Two years ago I started to feel lower calf pain to the point that I could not walk and had to sit down to take a break. This happened after I came back from vacation where I did a lot of hiking, swimming and other physical activities. After a while it went away on its own. However this year around February the pain came back, I could barely walk around at work (I work at a school) and I dreaded even the thought of going to the grocery store. It would help whenever I leaned on the shopping cart or sat down for a minute or two but right when I started walking again the pain would come back. I read a lot of online articles and forums and someone recommended Alpha-lipoic acid (300mg). I started taking one capsule once a day along with my blood pressure and thyroid medicine medicine and the pain went away within about 2 weeks.
If I can give any advice it would be to take the blood pressure medicine religiously (which I was not doing) along with the alpha-lipoic acid. I take the Doctor's Best brand so that's the only one I have experience with.
Hope this helps someone. I know how horrible it feels to think that you will not be able to do your daily routine, plan fun activities or even minor things like walking to the store.

jburke

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I suffer with bad pains in legs as well I can barely clime the stairs the pain hurts every step the seems if I am losing the use in legs as I cant barely left them from one step to a mother also I get bad pains in my arms I find it hard left Anny thing or hold thongs if I have something in my hand my arm gets dead I drop what ever is in my hands dos Anny one ever have it