Paleo diet

Evski

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all have just been diagnosed with type 2 was quite shocked at first as always had a good diet. Really like the sound of the Paleo diet and was wondering if anyone else is following this.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I do kind of. I eat cheese occasionally, but other than that I followed a version for a year and a half. Basically I gave up factory processed food, refined carbs, sugar, grains, and seed/vegetable oils. All the stuff that humans didn't eat until we invented agriculture. The trick is to keep it low carb and high fat.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do kind of. I eat cheese occasionally, but other than that I followed a version for a year and a half. Basically I gave up factory processed food, refined carbs, sugar, grains, and seed/vegetable oils. All the stuff that humans didn't eat until we invented agriculture. The trick is to keep it low carb and high fat.
I think your diet deserves more respect than comparing it to the Paleo diet.

"The Paleo Diet" is kind of like Crossfit. There's really nothing unique or scientific about it and it's developed a cult following largely because of some very smart marketing individuals. Like Crossfit, I have to assume that half of the program is about recruiting new members because every single person who does Crossfit and follows a Paleo diet has to brag about it on Facebook and reminds people about it as much as possible.

In all seriousness (although I was 90% serious with my previous comments), the Paleo Diet is good for accountability which can be very helpful in achieving success. There are a lot of people following the Paleo Diet right now and it's definitely one of the more popular fad diets out there.

In contrast, many people on this forum follow some variation of a low-carb diet (Paleo is one loose variation) myself included. However, it's not very sexy to tell people that you're "Low carb," and you'll get way more likes on Facebook if you tell everyone you're "Paleo."

Long story short, it's not a bad diet to follow if you need something structured, but long-term you'll probably have to customize it more towards your lifestyle.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all have just been diagnosed with type 2 was quite shocked at first as always had a good diet. Really like the sound of the Paleo diet and was wondering if anyone else is following this.

Stephan Guyenet is a obesity researcher that is very interested in the paleolitic diet.

Here are some articles where he examines different clinical trials with the diet, and many feature diabetics on the diet as well.
Staffan Lindeberg is a swedish professor that have done a lot of work with this, In one of his trials, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=17583796&dopt=AbstractPlus
12 people of out of 14 had glucose intolerance, after having been on the diet, everyone got their bloodsugars normalized!

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.no/2008/10/paleolithic-diet-clinical-trials.html

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.no/2008/10/paleolithic-diet-clinical-trials-part.html

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.no/2008/10/one-last-thought.html

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.no/2009/02/paleolithic-diet-clinical-trials-part.html

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My version of Paleo is similar to @NoCrbs4Me - the only processed/packaged food I buy is full fat dairy. Kind of a low carb version of Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint plan and/or the LCHF plan outlined by the Diet Doctor and other sites.

Having European ancestry and absolutely no symptoms of dairy intolerance, I haven't eliminated it completely like strict Paleo would demand. I think a lower carb version of Paleo is a great starting place for anyone who is newly diagnosed, then adapt it to suit your personal tastes as you go along.

There is a kind of cult feel to certain sections of Paleo that can get kind of annoying though it's usually not among thought leaders like Mark Sisson or Robb Wolf, etc.

I think eliminating grains was the best thing I ever did for my health.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I as well follow 'my own' LC version of Paleo. No processed foods, sugar, grains, plant/seed oils etc. Only occasionally do I eat cheese or legumes and only in very small quantities. I eat GF beef and Wild Alaskan fish and most veggies are organic. My fats are avocado, EVOO, olives and mayo ( my weakness) I don't eat a lot of saturated fat for CHO reasons.
Like many other diets, it's a great place to start getting acquainted with wholesome natural foods and then tweak to your liking

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mines pretty paleo nowadays too..

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone wants evidence of how effective Paleo is, try catching up on Youtube with the US show "My Diet Is Better Than Yours". The Wild Diet just got beaten on weight loss percentage, but the guy lost the greatest percentage of body fat of all the contestants.

Last edited by a moderator: