Palingwick house please read

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Hi everybody
I have had type 1 diabetes for nearly 50 years, I am trying to contact anybody who lived at Palingswick House Diabetic Hostel, I lived there from 1963-68 you can read about me if you go to http://www.palingswickccen.org.uk and look for Kevin Baum.
It would be so nice to find all my old friends who were at Palingwick house. :D

Kev

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi gollymax have you tried the Friends Re-united web site?

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Sid Bonkers said:
Hi gollymax have you tried the Friends Re-united web site?

Hi Sid
Thank you for your message, no I have not tried friends Re-united but I will give it a try :)
thank you once again
Kev

Tracey69

Palingswick house was home for diabetics

Hi Everyone,
I was a patient at Palingswick house, 241 King st, Hammersmith & Fulham, London, W6 9LP.
It was a home for diabetic children. I was there in 1979/80, While i was there there were only two girls myself and a girl called Sonia who i have been trying to find. I would also like to hear from any other people who could of been patients/clients and staff.
Thanks
Tracey

paulg

Hi there Gollymax, I Was at Palingswick from 1962-67 and there were about 50 of us in all. I remember Dougie Soden, Peter Smith, Anton Vroom and many others. Staff I remember were Sister Connors, Tom Warburton, Tony Cordani, Mr and Mrs Otterburn and Mr Niemeyer and of course Miss Wilson. I can honestly say that had i not gone there I would probably not be around now. As it is I have been married 40yrs have two grown up daughters and two Grand-children. I remember palingswick fondly for the most part. The backyard soccer pich(of sorts) with steps to house as one goal and a painted goalpost on the rear wall. Dougie and I also painted the lines for the tennis court there. Do you remember the ear rubbing before a blood test taken with a pippette? Acetone tests using ammonia? Those were the days :D :D

gollymax

Dislikes
Hi Paulg
Great to hear from you, I have been trying for years to get in touch with the people at PH.
I was at PH at the same time as you, do you remember me???
Yes I remember all the staff you have mention and also the ear rubbing before the blood tests :thumbdown:
Do you remember when Rodney Marsh (QPR footballer) visited us and we played a game of football in the court yard. I wonder if you remember where some of the children lived/ as i remember Kevin Gregory lived in Nottingham, i have searched face book but have still not found him. i have searched for many other on Face book but still no luck. I think if I had not gone to PH I would not now be in my 51st year of diabetes.
Please send me a personal message when you can, as it would be nice to exchange email address. :thumbup:
Please stay in contact.
Kev

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Kev,

Only a suggestion and don't know if you are a member of DUK, however if you are then you could write to them and ask if they would do a small feature on Palingswick House in the Balance magazine, or alternatively post a letter in the 'Your View' section to see if you get a response from those you have lost touch with.

paulg

Hi Kev, Great to hear from you yes it would be great to keep in touch. My email is [email address removed]. Hope to hear from you soon. Did you get your 50yr medal from the Diabetic Association? I got mine in Nov 2010 and also its american equivalent last year from Joslin. As with everythig amerrican it is bigger and bolder than our one.
Regards Paul

gollymax

Dislikes
Hi Paul
Thank you for your message, when you have entered 5 replies you are allowed to send me a private message.
As you can see from your message they have edited your email out.
I applied for the joslin medal about 2 weeks ago and they have not answered my email, who did you contact to get your joslin medal. i have now applied to diabetes Uk for my 50 year medal even though I have had it for 51 years.
I will try and send you a private message after I have finished this message. Do you remember me at PH?
I am trying to picture you in my mind, when I first arrived at PH I was in the 1st dormoitory on the left, I was in the dormorty with Andrew leach and another boy but I cannot remember his name.
Kevin Gregory, Doug, David webster, Peter Smith, David Bowman, Alister Watkins etc were in the big boy dormitory. I moved into the back dormoitory with David Jones Peter Tuckwell, Lester piece, Jimmy Giddings etc. Do you remember Sheila the big lady who was our cook?
My memory is ticking like a bomb at the moment, thinking of those days, what school did you go too, I 1st went to Brakenbery School the Christopher Wren. Do you remember the documentry they done of PH, I think the BBC done the filming and my Mum watched it on TV.
Great to hear from you Paul and yes we must stay in touch, once we get communicating we can excange phone numbers and I will give you a call.
Kev :thumbup:

gollymax

Dislikes
noblehead said:
Kev,

Only a suggestion and don't know if you are a member of DUK, however if you are then you could write to them and ask if they would do a small feature on Palingswick House in the Balance magazine, or alternatively post a letter in the 'Your View' section to see if you get a response from those you have lost touch with.

Hi noblehead
Thank you for your message, I used to be a member of Balance Magazine, I wrote them a letter and mentioned PH and all the people I could remember, they published it in the magazine but I got no replies from anybody :cry:
But at least Paulg has joined the forum, so this is a start.I am not a member of DUK but wil give it a try
thank you for your help :thumbup:

Kev

paulg

Hi Kev, It seems I do not qualify yet to read private messages so the one you sent me cannot be read. Until I do qualify you can email me anytime
All the best from
Paulg :D

paulg

Hi Kev, Just read your last message, I to went to the Wren I was form 4B1 inb my last year I left there and Palingswick in June 67 and went to work at Shepperton Studios. Do You remember Mr Evans the vicar at St Peters Church? When I got married in 72 he came to Bexleyheath and married Lynne and me. He was great to do that. I was first in the back dormitory and then in the big ome on the right. All the girls were upstairs that was a forbidden place for us boys. When Mr Oteerburn left to take over a blind school who we played football against after he had taken over. Andrew Watkins and Keith Undrill both sadly died whilst on school holidays at home. I think this is four posts for me now. I :D was a big Leyton Orient fan but adopted Chelsea until i was deemed olr enough to go to L eyton on my own. One of the girls Pat Best came from there
Cheers from Paul :D

victorhill

well brilliant to see a report on ph..
i was at the home jan 1958 to 1961 all the names can just about remember ,
i used to to go to addison sec modern school in shepards bush
can remember the smog and trolly bus up kings street , and walking via the railway with small traders and sheds
school sports on richmond common going in full football gear and on cross country run because the ground was to hard for footy ,and going across a stream in full flood with only a rope to hold on
at school mr jennings head mr wells used to wear a watch and chain
any one remember the strike on washing up duty put 3 beds across the bedroom to close the doors but we gave in and had six of the best in pyjamas ouch
also we had crystal sets in the bedrooms to listen to radio luxenburgh
some names phillip parrot. crighton emery inky jonhson jamaca lad who had leg irons, mrs watson mr wharburton
mr mrs otterburn charge of home
remember the washing up and how to make bed up great fun home sick but great ....
vic hill suffolk 59 years type 1 transplant kidney eyes laser
thanks ph and NHS :wave:

victorhill

VIC
just for the palingwick.friends remember just part of this great home .
the washing up very hot water you dropped in the basket with all the dishes in plus cups
and if you needed something to eat ,cheese was the big extra meal of the day .
the hide out s in the back yard many tunnels , the crystal sets all set up in the bedrooms .
plus the super woodwork, rooms up on top floor i still have 3 items made from wood at home to this day...

vic

Hello, my late husband David Tufnell lived at palingswick house for a few years in the late 60s. He was from the north east. David died of a brain tumour in1997, Our children are keen to know more about his life - we don't know why he lived there or much about his time there. David used to talk about having a personal number, he also enjoyed learning the trumpet.He said he hated trips out as someone was usually unwell! We would love to hear from anyone who remembered David and how he would have spent his time there.

Hello, my late husband David Tufnell lived at palingswick house for a few years in the late 60s. He was from the north east. David died of a brain tumour in1997, Our children are keen to know more about his life - we don't know why he lived there or much about his time there. David used to talk about having a personal number, he also enjoyed learning the trumpet.He said he hated trips out as someone was usually unwell! We would love to hear from anyone who remembered David and how he would have spent his time there.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sharon Tufnell said:

Sorry about your husband Sharon. Kev who started this thread hasn't been on the forum for a few months, once you make 5 posts on the forum you could send him a private message in the hope that he may respond to your request.

Good luck!

victorhill

Sharon Tufnell said:

sharon
the personal no would have been for all his clothes i.e. shirts jackets shoes vests sports gear .yes i still have a red singlet
for sports with no 40 on as a tag .
i did not known you husband as i was at palingswich which was i think old london fire h q and owed by LCC
my time was 1958/9/60 s ..
s my mother had heaths issues and i was referred to london by a doc called dr cockram in west suffolk hospital
i enjoyed my time at pals going to school in sheppards bush adderson sec modern .the trolley bus s the bad fogs

we learnt all by our older freinds
we had visits to the post office underground system osram bulbs london zoo ect .
can tell you lots more if you need vic hill age 67 merry xmas to your family

gollymax

Dislikes
Hi Sharon
Im very sorry to hear about David . I new David very well if i remember he was in my dormatory
I also think he was welsh. If he was a live he would of remembered me
Please contact me at my email address or PM me
Kev xx

victorhill

gollymax said:
Hi Paulg
Great to hear from you, I have been trying for years to get in touch with the people at PH.
I was at PH at the same time as you, do you remember me???
Yes I remember all the staff you have mention and also the ear rubbing before the blood tests :thumbdown:
Do you remember when Rodney Marsh (QPR footballer) visited us and we played a game of football in the court yard. I wonder if you remember where some of the children lived/ as i remember Kevin Gregory lived in Nottingham, i have searched face book but have still not found him. i have searched for many other on Face book but still no luck. I think if I had not gone to PH I would not now be in my 51st year of diabetes.
Please send me a personal message when you can, as it would be nice to exchange email address. :thumbup:
Please stay in contact.
Kev
another surviver person from this home me vic hill at king street home about 1958/1960
rember all what you have. said and all the trips to london points of interet
nice to hear about the home regards victor hil suffolk age 68