Pancake day

Finzi

Pancake day coming up this week, and would really love to participate! Anyone know whether you can make low carb pancakes? I'm calculating that a normal pancake would be around 15g carb each so would love an alternative

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakf ... ncakes.htm

there is a recipe here that looks good

1 cup almond meal
2 eggs
1/4 cup water (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)
2 T oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T sweetener

Preparation:
Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use a nonstick pan with a little oil. The only real difference is that they won't "bubble" on top the same way as regular pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.

Serve with sugar-free maple syrup, Easy Three Berry Syrup, strawberry topping, or other low carb topping.

Yield: Six 4-inch pancakes

Nutritional Information: Each pancake has 1 gram effective carbohydrate, plus 2 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and 155 calories.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its the same. Let us know how it tastes. i baked with ground almonds and not sure if you will manage to make big pancakes (the texture is a bit different). I have some soy flour and want to try it for pancakes. ive seen some negative comments on soyflour taste but I will give it a go. I have big bag of it and dont really know how to use it

Finzi

Had an experiment with almond flour pancakes for lunch today.

Generally I was pleased, the taste was very nice. The texture a bit more "mealy" than normal pancakes. They were very filling. I found it hard to achieve proper turning over without them breaking up, so they were a bit scrambled by the time they made it onto my plate. I had them with just lemon juice, normally I have lemon juice and sugar on a pancake but I thought they were quite sweet anyway what with the almonds and the Stevia and they really didn't need any extra sugar on top.

Next time I am going to blend the mix in my blender rather than just whisk it by hand.

Susiebabs

I've found that when I'm making pancakes with almond flour that I really need to let them sit undisturbed on the griddle (or pan) for at least three minutes. Any attempt to turn them earlier or even lift a side to take a peak underneath tends to result in some breakage. I use quite a thin fish slice under the whole pancake (so only tend to make smaller ones) and turn them that way. They definitely aren't as robustly joined together as a pancake made with (evil white) flour. I like mine with some melted butter flavoured with cinamon and a wee drop of sweetener :D

WhitbyJet

I make our pancakes with coconut flour, fill with instant jam (mashed up, sweetened berries) or home made lc lemon curd, if I am feeling really wicked add a spoon of whipped cream.

Finzi

Susiebabs said:
I've found that when I'm making pancakes with almond flour that I really need to let them sit undisturbed on the griddle (or pan) for at least three minutes. Any attempt to turn them earlier or even lift a side to take a peak underneath tends to result in some breakage. I use quite a thin fish slice under the whole pancake (so only tend to make smaller ones) and turn them that way. They definitely aren't as robustly joined together as a pancake made with (evil white) flour. I like mine with some melted butter flavoured with cinamon and a wee drop of sweetener :D

I'll try those tips Susie! :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've made pancakes using just eggs and cream cheese. They're fine.

For a more savoury pancake, I've added almond flour to the mix. Lovely with a fried breakfast instead of toast!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've made them thin, and used them like a wrap, and I've made them thicker like a scotch pancake. Adding some almond flour makes it more like a scotch/breakfast pancake.

You have to vary the ratio of eggs to cream cheese, or maybe add a little milk/cream to thin the "batter" out a little.

Finzi

Patch said:
I've made them thin, and used them like a wrap, and I've made them thicker like a scotch pancake. Adding some almond flour makes it more like a scotch/breakfast pancake.

You have to vary the ratio of eggs to cream cheese, or maybe add a little milk/cream to thin the "batter" out a little.

What's the approximate recipe to make a crispy crepe type pancake?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_7253.png

http://www.nuttyabouthealth.com/2012/12 ... -pancakes/

cinammon/sweetener, etc... is optional. :wink:

Reactions: 2 people