Pancake day!

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, shrove Tuesday is tomorrow. I thought I'd share the recipe My wife and I will be trying. We have sweet pancakes at the weekend a lot, using cream cheese and stevia, so we're going to try making savoury ones instead tomorrow. I have heard tell that normal pancakes use the same mix as normal Yorkshire puddings. I'm therefore hoping that my low carb Yorkshire pudding ingredients will work as pancakes!

Ingredients per person: 35g ground almonds, 50ml coconut milk, 1 egg. Mix together, put in pan and I'm hoping pancakes will occur. We're going to have ours with Morrisons gluten free sausages (not allergic to gluten, but these sausages are really tasty. 1 sausage has 10.6g of protein and 1.9g of carbohydrate). Also, some green beans or bell pepper will probably go into the mix :).

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

I have Canadian maple syrup, I usually have mine just with lemon juice but maple syrup is my once a year treat, didn't have any last year at Christmas so pancake day wins.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think my husband knows that it's pancake day tomorrow, yet !
Yes I will make him some, I will be good ( for me that is ) and only have one.
Yes, i know whats wrong. But I am trying hard to change.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I don't think my husband knows that it's pancake day tomorrow, yet !
Yes I will make him some, I will be good ( for me that is ) and only have one.
Yes, i know whats wrong. But I am trying hard to change.
It is one day a year - have a pancake, with lemon juice etc and just enjoy it. Don't overdo it.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sweet pancakes can be made in low carb fashion too, if you don't want to cheat tomorrow.
Per person: 2 eggs, 2oz cream cheese (Philadelphia is the best in my humble opinion, but Mascarponi is also good), 2tsp Stevia (or a different amount of another low carb sweetener, really sorry but I don't use others so don't know how much you would need!), 1tsp vanilla extract, 20g blueberries. Mix everything except for blueberries together, then fry the mixture in a frying pan, adding blueberries as you go.

Reactions: 4 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, shrove Tuesday is tomorrow. I thought I'd share the recipe My wife and I will be trying. We have sweet pancakes at the weekend a lot, using cream cheese and stevia, so we're going to try making savoury ones instead tomorrow. I have heard tell that normal pancakes use the same mix as normal Yorkshire puddings. I'm therefore hoping that my low carb Yorkshire pudding ingredients will work as pancakes!

Ingredients per person: 35g ground almonds, 50ml coconut milk, 1 egg. Mix together, put in pan and I'm hoping pancakes will occur. We're going to have ours with Morrisons gluten free sausages (not allergic to gluten, but these sausages are really tasty. 1 sausage has 10.6g of protein and 1.9g of carbohydrate). Also, some green beans or bell pepper will probably go into the mix :).

If as you say the yorkie mix is the same, try doing as my OH has started doing & that's using cornflour instead of the norm flour. The yorkies she makes are so much lighter & fluffier with the corn flour. They are Awesome. & then there are crepes which is a fancy name for pancake.
These crepes are virtually carb. free and are very easy to make.

Ingredients.
200 Grams of ricotta cheese
3 eggs
I teaspoon of cinnamon
A splash of milk
You can reduce the eggs & use more milk or coconut milk if you so wish.
Mix the cheese, eggs and cinnamon into a small mixing bowl. Add a slash of milk if the mix is to thick to run freely. Place a small knob of butter into a frying pan, I use a small omelette pan 8". Heat the butter and spoon in 3 table spoons of mix. Fry until firm then turn over and cook for one minute or until the crepe is starting to brown. This mix makes between 6 and 8 crepes. Allow to cool and fill with cream cheese and finely chopped spring onions or smoked salmon and asparagus tips, whatever you like. Roll up the crepe and enjoy. Great at any time and very good for the lunch box or picnics. Also great warmed up with a scoop of low carb ice cream and double cream

There Gggreat

Or maybe even oat pancakes.
http://www.food.com/recipe/oat-pancakes-wheat-free-210647

Reactions: 10 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet pancakes can be made in low carb fashion too, if you don't want to cheat tomorrow.
Per person: 2 eggs, 2oz cream cheese (Philadelphia is the best in my humble opinion, but Mascarponi is also good), 2tsp Stevia (or a different amount of another low carb sweetener, really sorry but I don't use others so don't know how much you would need!), 1tsp vanilla extract, 20g blueberries. Mix everything except for blueberries together, then fry the mixture in a frying pan, adding blueberries as you go.

What, no flour? I don't have a sweet tooth, I put vinegar on my pancakes, yes I know I am strange.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What, no flour? I don't have a sweet tooth, I put vinegar on my pancakes, yes I know I am strange.
Yeah it is technically possible to avoid flour altogether if you wish to when it comes to pancakes :). And thanks for that recipe Paul59, I will definitely look into it!

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband knows it's pancake day. He will only get grumpy if I don't make him some!
I must stay strong, I must stay strong.
:meh:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some have been brought in to my office today, looking pretty tempting :D

Like the sound of the sweet ones with the cream cheese @Charles Robin they don't taste cheesy do they?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
If as you say the yorkie mix is the same, try doing as my OH has started doing & that's using cornflour instead of the norm flour. The yorkies she makes are so much lighter & fluffier with the corn flour. They are Awesome. & then there are crepes which is a fancy name for pancake.
These crepes are virtually carb. free and are very easy to make.

Ingredients.
200 Grams of ricotta cheese
3 eggs
I teaspoon of cinnamon
A splash of milk
You can reduce the eggs & use more milk or coconut milk if you so wish.
Mix the cheese, eggs and cinnamon into a small mixing bowl. Add a slash of milk if the mix is to thick to run freely. Place a small knob of butter into a frying pan, I use a small omelette pan 8". Heat the butter and spoon in 3 table spoons of mix. Fry until firm then turn over and cook for one minute or until the crepe is starting to brown. This mix makes between 6 and 8 crepes. Allow to cool and fill with cream cheese and finely chopped spring onions or smoked salmon and asparagus tips, whatever you like. Roll up the crepe and enjoy. Great at any time and very good for the lunch box or picnics. Also great warmed up with a scoop of low carb ice cream and double cream

There Gggreat

Or maybe even oat pancakes.
http://www.food.com/recipe/oat-pancakes-wheat-free-210647
I might try some of these at the weekend, once I've been shopping.